best camera to use for porfolio

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeymummy

Reaction score
Hi all
now ive improved my nail enhancements, i want to create a portfolio to show before & after pictures of clients nails, i was wondering on what sort of camera to buy that will show the nails in great detail, havnt a clue what to get and where to get it!!

thanks in advance xxx

I have a Sony Cybershot 6 megapixels, that does the job. But there are lots out there. I also have a Kodak that works just aswell, but I love my Sony. The higher the mega pixels the better the detail, if you focus properly.:lol:

I have just brought a camera for creating my portfolio, its a Canon digital ixus70, 7.1 mega pixels and has a macro button , I brought it from Jessops and its fab!! :)

I did a search on previous threads and also tried out alot in Jessops taking close ups of my own nails. I have attached a close up so see what you think, you can also zoom in closer on this pic with the zoom as its 3x optical zoom.

a macro button is a must!!

it lets you focus on a subject from just a couple of centermetres away I use a fujifilm finepix f30 6.3mp and love mine!

I've got an Olympus 700 7.1 megapixel, which can do close up and super close up shots. Its dead good. When you've decided which camera to get search for it on kelkoo.co.uk as you can get some great deals, I got a memory card thrown in and £50 off!

it lets you focus on a subject from just a couple of centermetres away I use a fujifilm finepix f30 6.3mp and love mine!

sorry for sounding dumb, but whats a macro button the reason i ask is because i too am looking for better camera, my kodak has a button on it that supposdly lets you take close up pics, but tbh its just makes everything blurry!:rolleyes:

I think its where you can take a close up pic without it blurring and its really clear. Mine has it but its automatic when you chose to do a close up shot on the menu, not an actual button.

Pm Seanny the link for this thread,he is absolutely the man in the know when it comes to techincal stuff :lol:

Hello Everyone, my name is Mike (Julie's husband), I hope you don't mind me crashing the party but photography and image editing is something I know a little about.

Modern day cameras from a quality company (canon, panasonic, fuji, nikon, sony etc) are all capable of top quality images. Nearly all (almost without exception) offer macro, an amount of optical zoom, and more and more are offering image stabilisation (very useful for handheld use) any camera over 3 mega pixels is capable of producing a good image that can be printed at A4 size on glossy paper.

That does not mean you will always get good pictures.

It is true to say that modern cameras do give you a better chance of getting better images more often. It is also true to say that someone can get better images from a 5mp camera costing £150 than someone else using a 10mp £500 camera. There is an element of skill involved.

Sorry I'm waffling, and should get to the point :rolleyes:

Don't get to hung up on which camera, just make sure it is a recognised camera brand, and then take a bit of time to learn and understand the settings and how they affect the images you are getting.

Then think about things like backgrounds, if you have a portfolio full of images that are busy or with people in the background, this can easily spoil a decent picture, however good the colour, lighting and focus.

Hth There are some good photographers on this forum so I'm sure you will get more info, otherwise feel free to pm Julie and I will gladly try to help more.

Hello Everyone, my name is Mike (Julie's husband), I hope you don't mind me crashing the party but photography and image editing is something I know a little about.

Modern day cameras from a quality company (canon, panasonic, fuji, nikon, sony etc) are all capable of top quality images. Nearly all (almost without exception) offer macro, an amount of optical zoom, and more and more are offering image stabilisation (very useful for handheld use) any camera over 3 mega pixels is capable of producing a good image that can be printed at A4 size on glossy paper.

That does not mean you will always get good pictures.

It is true to say that modern cameras do give you a better chance of getting better images more often. It is also true to say that someone can get better images from a 5mp camera costing £150 than someone else using a 10mp £500 camera. There is an element of skill involved.

Sorry I'm waffling, and should get to the point :rolleyes:

Don't get to hung up on which camera, just make sure it is a recognised camera brand, and then take a bit of time to learn and understand the settings and how they affect the images you are getting.

Then think about things like backgrounds, if you have a portfolio full of images that are busy or with people in the background, this can easily spoil a decent picture, however good the colour, lighting and focus.

Hth There are some good photographers on this forum so I'm sure you will get more info, otherwise feel free to pm Julie and I will gladly try to help more.[/

cheers for the info, thats grt bless ya
Carrie x

agree toatlly is was cathie who helped me to work the thing,now i have master it, perfect. Would also suggest a high pixel,which ever make of camera you go for.:green:

Latest posts

Back