Best/cheapest card payment machine?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppyisland

Reaction score
My contract with my card company is coming to an end, Iv only ever had the 1 company before. But it’s so expensive for the rental and the charges.
Does anyone have a good one for a small business (3 stylists) x

I use i-zettle and never had a problem.

There is a small charge per transaction or a monthly fee.

Check there website

Thank you I will!
I pay £23 per month for the handset and then the charges on top .... it can add up to quite a lot some months x

I use Sum up. Card reader is around £30 but there is usually an offer on to get it cheaper. You pay 1.69% per transaction and no monthly fee. The machine links to an app on your phone (I think you can get them now that don't need a link up to phone to make payment as they have wifi built in). If you want to take 'cardholder not present' payments you need to apply for the Virtual Terminal which you log into via a computer/phone/tablet. This charges around 2.5% plus 25p per transaction. I don't use this very often but wanted to get it set up just in case. I try to encourage bank transfer or paypal rather than over the phone payments to save on the extra fee.

I guess you just have to weigh up if your fees would be more with this kind of set up or will you be better contracted to a 'proper' card machine type of company where you pay a monthly fee and lower transaction percentage.

I use Sum up. Card reader is around £30 but there is usually an offer on to get it cheaper. You pay 1.69% per transaction and no monthly fee. The machine links to an app on your phone (I think you can get them now that don't need a link up to phone to make payment as they have wifi built in). If you want to take 'cardholder not present' payments you need to apply for the Virtual Terminal which you log into via a computer/phone/tablet. This charges around 2.5% plus 25p per transaction. I don't use this very often but wanted to get it set up just in case. I try to encourage bank transfer or paypal rather than over the phone payments to save on the extra fee.

I guess you just have to weigh up if your fees would be more with this kind of set up or will you be better contracted to a 'proper' card machine type of company where you pay a monthly fee and lower transaction percentage.
Does paypal charge a fee? Or do you the "send money to friend or family" function?

PayPal is 3.5 ish I think I think send as a friend would be unprofessional to ask personally

IT depends what your turnover is. For your size setup you need a merchant services agreement and a terminal machine.

I'm on my 5th agreement so I've tried lots of providers. The fastest payers are direct with elavon. You usually get the money next day. Other providers will quote 3 days but be careful some providers will count 3 days waiting plus the day you took the payment plus the day they make the payment plus the weekend - so you wait a week.

Some providers retain a minimum sum. It's often £1500. I once had an agreement were they held £1500 and paid a week late!

I am now with a very small company where I save a lot of money because you get a personal to you service. A chap came to visit me and asked to see my merchant service provider bills to see if he could save me money. He had a look and then told me that I was paying extra to accept contactless payments. I thought that because most of my transactions were over £30 it wasn't an issue - I was surprised when he showed me what it was costing me.

He asked to look at my machine and asked me about my wifi and mobile phone reception and whether I ever take my machine off site. Turned out I was paying £6 a month for a facility I don't need (off site use) and putting up with service connectivity issues when a cheaper machine would give me hassle free service!

I asked about the cost of compliance certification which I pay £5 a month for - and it was free.

He ended up giving me a quote which shaved a fraction of a percentage point off my existing deal - in return for waiting 3 days longer for my money in my bank account. This will save me a startling amount of money over the year.

The real savings will be much greater as he's given me information to help me manage my costs. They work on a referral basis, so pm me if you would like their contact info. There's no harm in having someone look at your bills and see if they can offer you a better deal is there?

“PayPal Here”its an app you can download straight to your phone so I need for a separate machine

“PayPal Here”its an app you can download straight to your phone so I need for a separate machine

The customer doesn’t need a PayPal account it’s from their card of choice

I have SumUp. It cost me £19 and there’s no contract. Just pay 2p in the £ (1.69% from memory) per transaction. Nothing else to pay.

We use both Square and iZettle card readers. Square for the Salon/Studio and iZettle when we out and about at shows etc....

IT depends what your turnover is. For your size setup you need a merchant services agreement and a terminal machine.

I'm on my 5th agreement so I've tried lots of providers. The fastest payers are direct with elavon. You usually get the money next day. Other providers will quote 3 days but be careful some providers will count 3 days waiting plus the day you took the payment plus the day they make the payment plus the weekend - so you wait a week.

Some providers retain a minimum sum. It's often £1500. I once had an agreement were they held £1500 and paid a week late!

I am now with a very small company where I save a lot of money because you get a personal to you service. A chap came to visit me and asked to see my merchant service provider bills to see if he could save me money. He had a look and then told me that I was paying extra to accept contactless payments. I thought that because most of my transactions were over £30 it wasn't an issue - I was surprised when he showed me what it was costing me.

He asked to look at my machine and asked me about my wifi and mobile phone reception and whether I ever take my machine off site. Turned out I was paying £6 a month for a facility I don't need (off site use) and putting up with service connectivity issues when a cheaper machine would give me hassle free service!

I asked about the cost of compliance certification which I pay £5 a month for - and it was free.

He ended up giving me a quote which shaved a fraction of a percentage point off my existing deal - in return for waiting 3 days longer for my money in my bank account. This will save me a startling amount of money over the year.

The real savings will be much greater as he's given me information to help me manage my costs. They work on a referral basis, so pm me if you would like their contact info. There's no harm in having someone look at your bills and see if they can offer you a better deal is there?

Hi.
Can you please send me his details.
Thanks

Nikos - if you would like a no obligation quote I need to refer you. Please pm me your details

Does paypal charge a fee? Or do you the "send money to friend or family" function?
PayPal charges but sure it's all automatically done so you dont get billed x

I use Sumup. The machines are about £20 each and you download the app to your mobile and take payment using the machine. You can even get a machine with a SIM in now so you don't need a mobile. I also hardly use the machine either because you can login using your laptop and just do it from your laptop as well. It's about 0.275% transaction fee.

I use SumpUp mobile unit. Works via Bluetooth between an app on your phone and the unit itself. Only charged 1.69% transaction fee. No bills. Takes most cards including Apple Pay and android pay. I take more card payments than cash. I love it’s simplicity.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back