Best for toning orange out of light brown hair dye?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolasmam

Reaction score
Hi

I was wondering if someone could advise please? My hair was dyed violet brown and I wanted to go back as close as natural as possible - mousey brown. I did a bleach bath using olaplex and then toned with dialight 7.01. It’s a good base but still very coppery so I’m wondering what would be the best product to use to get it more ashy without making it murky or too much damage? Tia x

[QUOTE="Lolasmam, post: 2680482, member: 152001

I was wondering if someone could advise please? My hair was dyed violet brown and I wanted to go back as close as natural as possible - mousey brown. I did a bleach bath using olaplex and then toned with dialight 7.01. It’s a good base but still very coppery so I’m wondering what would be the best product to use to get it more ashy without making it murky or too much damage? Tia x
[/QUOTE]
Can you please confirm if you're a hairdresser?

Hello

I used to be. I qualified back in 1997 but haven’t worked in a salon since 2001 ish, hence the lack of modern knowledge x

Hello

I used to be. I qualified back in 1997 but haven’t worked in a salon since 2001 ish, hence the lack of modern knowledge x
No problem, sorry we have to check because it's against the rules for us to give advice to people who aren't trained to use the products :)
How much copper can you see?
Have you got a picture?
Underlying pigment is always much stronger than anything that comes out of a tube.

No worries 😊

It’s slightly lighter on the ends, I’d like it back to a natural ish light brown/ dark blonde.

Attachments

• C486012F-5EF7-4FC0-A721-CBF3060292A0.jpeg
    C486012F-5EF7-4FC0-A721-CBF3060292A0.jpeg
    598.1 KB · Views: 99
  • 9224B0A9-8B40-4EB2-8D0B-9ADF9293446A.jpeg
    9224B0A9-8B40-4EB2-8D0B-9ADF9293446A.jpeg
    704.3 KB · Views: 93
No worries 😊

It’s slightly lighter on the ends, I’d like it back to a natural ish light brown/ dark blonde.
Okay, so you have two options really. Either you go down a level with blue in the formula to counteract the copper undertone.
Or you can lift the hair again- so there's no orange in site and then you tone it back down to a 7 natural violet.

Okay, so you have two options really. Either you go down a level with blue in the formula to counteract the copper undertone.
Or you can lift the hair again- so there's no orange in site and then you tone it back down to a 7 natural violet.
Thanks for your help :) I think the first option would be better as I don’t want to compromise the condition further. I’m familiar with the L’Oréal products but open to suggestions on what would work best. I’m stuck on how much tone to go with ie 6.1/6.01/6.12 etc? X

Thanks for your help :) I think the first option would be better as I don’t want to compromise the condition further. I’m familiar with the L’Oréal products but open to suggestions on what would work best. I’m stuck on how much tone to go with ie 6.1/6.01/6.12 etc? X
I'm not so familiar with l'oreals numbering system.
Is the 6.12 a blue ash violet?

I'm not so familiar with l'oreals numbering system.
Is the 6.12 a blue ash violet?
I believe so. I’m happy to use other brands though as I’m quite close to salon services.

I believe so. I’m happy to use other brands though as I’m quite close to salon services.
My personal preference is always wella. Si n this case I'd use 6/1 + 0/88 mix tone /intensifier.

My personal preference is always wella. Si n this case I'd use 6/1 + 0/88 mix tone /intensifier.
Or Wella illumina 7/81+5/81

In loreal I would go for dialight 6.11, rather than 6.12 since the violet is quite strong in that colour and I don't think it would sit too well over the copper tone, but it will look darker.

If it was just a bit lighter dialight 7.12 would have been perfect for 'mouse brown' 😄

Underlying pigment is always much stronger than anything that comes out of a tube.
This is the best advice in general 😄

Thank you both for your help, it’s very much appreciated.

Or Wella illumina 7/81+5/81
Think I’m gonna go with the illumina. Do you think I need anything to fill the ends a little with them being slightly lighter?

Think I’m gonna go with the illumina. Do you think I need anything to fill the ends a little with them being slightly lighter?
How much lighter are they?

How much lighter are they?
They’re more light brown than copper compared to the rest. A little bit wishy washy tbh :(

They’re more light brown than copper compared to the rest. A little bit wishy washy tbh :(
Right okay, I'd fill with copper first. That way you've got more of an even starting point.

Also don't forget because you're only wanting to deposit colour you only need 3% or 1.9%

Right okay, I'd fill with copper first. That way you've got more of an even starting point.

Also don't forget because you're only wanting to deposit colour you only need 3% or 1.9%

Hi again

I’ve only got wella developer 20 vol, can I dilute it? I’ve also got dia activateur 6 vol but not sure if it would work with the wella? Thanks

Hi again

I’ve only got wella developer 20 vol, can I dilute it? I’ve also got dia activateur 6 vol but not sure if it would work with the wella? Thanks
Strictly speaking neither is ideal really.
Whether anyone else would agree or not I don't know.
But when you dilute developer you technically should use deionized water.
So technically the dia activator is a more reliable option, even though manufacturers instructions will advise you not to.
It's hard to advise, because my preference might be different to that of others.

Latest posts

Back