Best gel for a student?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anmoezzy

Reaction score
Hi sorry this is my first post, I’m studying beauty therapy right now and we were advised to get our own gel for practising at home. I just wanted to know what some good brands were? Ideally not super expensive as I can’t afford to pay loads and I’m only using them on myself and family. As I’m not going to be working on customers I don’t need a large shade range only a couple of colours. I do however need everything, prep, base coat, top coat etc. What brands would you suggest are good for starting out but not too expensive? Also any advice about applying gel in general, I’ve already been taught how but if you have any tips or anything that would be welcome. Thank you!

Which brand will you be learning with on your course?

I’m surprised they’ve told you to practise gel nails at home on your friends and family when you’re not yet qualified and insured?
Maybe they just want you to practise your basic manicure and application technique?
You could use an ordinary nail polish to practise painting.

If you are going to purchase a system then I would suggest you stick to one of the brands that your training centre use otherwise you will get confused on precise procedure (it does vary brand to brand).
My advice would be to wait until you have started to learn about applying the gel polish before you buy. You'll be much more aware of what you are looking for in a brand.
Research IBD & OPI on this forum so you find out the pro's and con's to each brand.
Most importantly though, get the lamp that goes with the system, don't think that any old cheapie one from amazon will do. (there is a big thread explaining about lamps on here somewhere)

Latest posts

Back