Best /longest lasting toner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Andersen

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm looking for some advice on toning hair thats been pre-lightened to level 9 / 10. I used Redken shades EQ to tone last week, but it seems to have washed out already. I use Olaplex no1 during lightening and no2 afterward, so the hair is in pretty good condition. The client would have liked a cooler look and it was nice straight afterward, but she says it's already going a bit brassy. I must say I'm pretty disappointed with the Shades EQ performance, as I was really excited to use it.
Can anyone recommend a longer lasting toner I could use? Not brand loyal, so happy to try anything.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hello all,
I'm looking for some advice on toning hair thats been pre-lightened to level 9 / 10. I used Redken shades EQ to tone last week, but it seems to have washed out already. I use Olaplex no1 during lightening and no2 afterward, so the hair is in pretty good condition. The client would have liked a cooler look and it was nice straight afterward, but she says it's already going a bit brassy. I must say I'm pretty disappointed with the Shades EQ performance, as I was really excited to use it.
Can anyone recommend a longer lasting toner I could use? Not brand loyal, so happy to try anything.
Thanks in advance
Shades Eq should be applied to dry hair and processed for 20 mins.
Did you use the shades eq processing solution and not just a generic developer?
Also shades is designed to give sheer coverag - it's an acidic demi permanent it's basically a gloss.
If you need more pigment you need to reformulate, maybe even re think your product choice depending on how much deposit/ coverage is needed.

Also.... Make sure you shampoo after shades has finished developing, don't just rinse it. People make the mistake of thinking you don't need to shampoo after it, but you do to remove the chemicals.

Shades Eq should be applied to dry hair and processed for 20 mins.
Did you use the shades eq processing solution and not just a generic developer?
Also shades is designed to give sheer coverag - it's an acidic demi permanent it's basically a gloss.
If you need more pigment you need to reformulate, maybe even re think your product choice depending on how much deposit/ coverage is needed.

Also.... Make sure you shampoo after shades has finished developing, don't just rinse it. People make the mistake of thinking you don't need to shampoo after it, but you do to remove the chemicals.
Thanks Ron,
I did use Shades processing solution. The hair wasn't completely dry, but I'd seen most tutorials they seemed to be applying it at the washbowl. I did use a mix of 9VG and 9N and didn't add any clear to the mix. I'm thinking maybe it's not strong enough. I previously used Wella Colout Touch.

Thanks Ron,
I did use Shades processing solution. The hair wasn't completely dry, but I'd seen most tutorials they seemed to be applying it at the washbowl. I did use a mix of 9VG and 9N and didn't add any clear to the mix. I'm thinking maybe it's not strong enough. I previously used Wella Colout Touch.
Colour touch is less sheer. So in comparison colour touch would give you a more solid colour because its a more oxidative colour with a heavier pigment load than shades.

Colour touch is less sheer. So in comparison colour touch would give you a more solid colour because its a more oxidative colour with a heavier pigment load than shades.
Could you recommend a CT formula for this to cool it down and blend the blonde in a bit better??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210922-230431_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210922-230431_Messenger.jpg
    998.5 KB · Views: 74
Cheers Ron.....you're da man

Thanks Ron,

Hi Alan,

I use Redken and Wella for toning. I totally agree that Colour Touch is not as sheer as Shades EQ but I think they both last as long. In my understanding from your post the client would have preferred it cooler so I think maybe changing the formula would be an option. From my experience (learned it the hard way) 9VG is more of a Sandy blonde and that’s why she might have thought it was a bit brassy. I used the same formula on one of my clients thinking I’ll end up with a beautiful cool blonde with a slight warmth but it came a medium Sandy blonde. Now I only use the10VG and a small amount or with lots of clear

Hi Alan,

I use Redken and Wella for toning. I totally agree that Colour Touch is not as sheer as Shades EQ but I think they both last as long. In my understanding from your post the client would have preferred it cooler so I think maybe changing the formula would be an option. From my experience (learned it the hard way) 9VG is more of a Sandy blonde and that’s why she might have thought it was a bit brassy. I used the same formula on one of my clients thinking I’ll end up with a beautiful cool blonde with a slight warmth but it came a medium Sandy blonde. Now I only use the10VG and a small amount or with lots of clear
If I tried the Shades EQ again, should I go for maybe 9P mixed with 9N, or 9V or even 9NA.....very confusing 😕
There is a pic attached further up of how it looks at the moment

Hi Alan I'm new to this forum but saw your post and thought I'd give you a little insight to my ever learning knowledge of shades eq. As ronray explained shades eq has to be applied to dry hair and I find needs lots of product, I also found too much neutral 09N stays in the hair after secondary tones fade, I like to use 09V and 09T to a 09N for a cool blonde

Latest posts

Back