Best make-up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rach.rua

Reaction score
Hi, just curious what peoples preferances are with the professional make-up they use. I'm starting training in January and the company im going with seem to mostly use Ben nye for eyes and lips and BareSense for liquid foundations. The salon i work in use SLA and Aveda, but MAC seem to be the most well known. I'd just be interested to find out what you guys use.

Ta!

Rach xx

Good question, I'm hoping to do a make up course so I'd love to know what brands people use and where to get it from, I'll be watching this one!

x

Well i have tried a few brands, inc Bodyshop, Clinique and Boots No 7 but alas none of them suited my skin type (it is very fussy!!) So i got myself to Mac and asked for a makeover. Well I have never looked back - products are fab for my skin, a nice dewy look and they are not heavy on the skin and really do last without slipping off.

Though saying that when I went to G-Mex I noticed that mineral make-up is all the rage, but as i arrived late I did not have time to have samples applied!:cry: I was too busy getting my face mapped at Dermalogica stand!!:)

Those skin geeks who offer make up for weddings and things, what make up do you use?

I don't offer make up at the moment but ones i have used in past with good results are Jane Iredale and Clarins.

The only thing with Clarins is they will only supply to their salons that stock the skincare, so you wouldn't be able to do the course with them & if you wanted the products you'd have to pay full price.

I love the tigi make up range but minimum order is about £1400 !!

Ive heard Royal Effem is good to.

Does anybody know the start up costs for thje good professional salon brands.

I use professional makeup brands, never stick to just one brand though, can't abide just advocating one particular company!

Some MUAs are MAC obsessed, but a lot of MUAs have realised that the quality has fallen (in some, not all, products) since Estee Lauder bought them and also (more an issue in USA than here....for the moment) MAC have been offering their sales staff to NYC Fashion Week and the like free of charge, just to get their name bandied about, which takes work off the professional freelance MUAs.

So I have only a couple of MAC things in my kit (old faves), as well as Benefit, Chanel, YSL, Makeup Forever, Stila, Pout, Face Atelier.

I am not a fan of salon makeup ranges whatsoever, but each to their own.

I think it is also important when looking for a good makeup line to check if it is mineral based, or mineral oil based. Mineral oil is not good for our skin, and so many product lines include it in their ingredients. You want to look for a line that contains Titanium Dioxide.

I agree with Amy,I dont use one brand,I like to have a lot of different brands.The brand we use in the salon is Darphin,which is lovely but....very limited.

I like to play around with different colours etc.I find certain brands are very limited in colours ect.For instance if I'm doing make -up for Xmas parties or proms then ladies/girls want glitter and metalics.They want bold,vibrant colours not pastels and non shimmers.

A lot of manufacturers are so bland.It's not about being loyal to one company but about having lots of different products to suit all moods,ages and situations of our clients.Hth.

Hi there,

There's so many to choose from:eek:
Im lucky in the respect that therapists working with us have already made there preference or are still using kits from courses. Atelier & Karaja brands are popular & known in my area [college kits]
Having added spray tanning, Vani-t now has just added a Mineral Makeup range*Krush* see. Vani-T , I will be having the girls sample the range & am looking forward to their feedback.

I'd suppose as with custom blending nailbeds, using primary colours you can create palettes with primary makeup colours, widening your's & your clients choices. Good luck with your decision:)

HtH

XX J XX

Paula Dorff make-up is good and available to salons. I got a concealer from them (I wanted a more orangey concealer for asian skin types and they had a good one) I also got their transformer liquid which you mix with powder shadows or mineral shadows to give a liquid liner and it pretty much stays put.

I also use bits of bare escentuals - lip colours and glosses and Anthony Braden shadows with their eyeprimer and ultra matte base. I also use the dinair airbrush foundation, its the best finish ever.

I pick up bits and pieces and just keep adding to my make-up bag.

You might want to check out MOVIE from Italy. They don't have alot of makeup but every spring and fall they launch new products. The MOVIE skincare is to die for!!

Latest posts

Back