Best meal replacement?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nietta

Reaction score
Hi geeks!
I had my daughter in 2010 and went from 8.5st ish to 14st.
With diets and gym, I got back down to around 9st. Lots of motivation here because me and her dad took a year long relationship 'break'.
We got back together and I started to put back on. I've never gained weight easily so didn't make the conscious effort to 'keep' my weight down, I figured once I'd lost it, it was gone!
I went back up to somewhere between 11-12st and was planning to lose the extra before falling pregnant again but fell early!
I'm due in 7 days (eek!) & want to get straight on to a diet & exercise plan.
I have Jillian Michaels dvds to pace myself to start, then I can take babies red book to my local gym and get 50% off membership so will be doing that. Also have a few PT clients :)

Wondering what successes you've had with meal replacements. I'm super fussy with th texture of things- almost died trying a herbalife shake! Prefer something I could mix with milk for a thicker consistency?

Any other diet ideas welcome, but I am wanting to do this quicktime!

Xx
Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Congratulations on the immenient arrival of the new baby, and welll done on wanting to get back in shape as soon as you can but please don't go down the meal replacement road too soon after giving birth, especially if you're breast feeding. You and baby are going to need as much healthy food and nutrients as possible at very least in the first few weeks.

Slimming world works with the nhs to give you a healthy diet whilst pregnant and breastfeeding. Its the only "diet" that drs recommend during pregnancy as its not really a diet but a way of eating healthily. I love it and lost 4 stone on it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree that slimming world is great and works. Meal replacements can't work! If the only reason you lose weight is because you cut out food - then as a soon as you start eating food again the weight will pile straight back on! You need to change your eating habits, not stop eating food altogether as that's not sustainable. Good luck.

Instead of a meal replacement (which in my opinion are a waste of time) why don't you try clean eating. Lots of protein and veg? The best diet I found was the dukan diet. You can eat pretty much any amount of protein throughout the day so you shouldn't feel hungry and the weight comes off really quickly.

I'm another slimming world fan! Lost 4 stones and kept it off, also where I live people take their kids with them to group so that's nice too as you don't have to worry about getting baby sitter. What I always ask people who do shakes is where is the support for when you eat normally again? With slimming world it is life long support. You don't pay after you reach target and you can help inspire others xxx

I've done a few meal replacements before & kept the weight off so they're definitely a good option if you can stick with it. I dont eat breakfast so I would think more of having a replacement for breakfast and lunch and a good dinner.
Won't be breastfeeding so that's not a problem. Will definitely look into Slimming World, sounds really good!

Slimming world here too. And also 4stone loss :)
Vicki x

How long did it take you ladies on slimming world?
I get so dubious about diets where I can eat loads! I'm an all or nothing kinda girl so if I'm a diet I thrive by feeling restricted. Tell me I can have like a tiny slice of cake on a points system or something and once I've taken the first bite, the cake mysteriously disappears haha x

It took me 23 monthsto lose 4 stone. The first 3 stone came off quickly - probably about 9 or 10 months then it slowed down. The last 10lb was a nightmare but I'd gotten really complacent and wasn't following the plan 100%. Have a look at the website for an idea of how it works & a sample menu.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

19 weeks to lose 2st 4lbs

1 year 6 days to loose 4 stone. The last half stone took ages to come off but now I'm there I'm finding it easy to keep to my weight as it's not a diet I've been doing
Vicki x

I did slimming world whilst pregnant, I put on 2stone after my wedding & was frightened about getting bigger. So joined slimming world & only gained 12lb x

HairBy Amanda

Exante are great as they have a massive range of soups, bars, meals, porridge and shakes that are all 200cals and all nutritionally balanced. You don't need to go through a rep so no hassle, just order online. I dip in and out if using them if I'm busy or just needing to lose a few pounds. I find the bars are really filling as shakes sometimes leave me feeling hungry.

You are going to need plenty of energy, so rather than meal replacement I would concentrate on trying to limit the foods that don't sustain energy like simple sugars.

Take a look at GI values of food. In basic terms the lower the GI value the slower it is absorbed meaning it sustains you for longer. Everything is graded so you can easily pick out food you like and work with it.

Protein and fat (good fats) keep you feeling fuller for longer too. Also increase your water intake as often if we are dehydrated the body makes you feel you need to eat, when what it's trying to do is get fluid.

Instead of a meal replacement (which in my opinion are a waste of time) why don't you try clean eating. Lots of protein and veg? The best diet I found was the dukan diet. You can eat pretty much any amount of protein throughout the day so you shouldn't feel hungry and the weight comes off really quickly.

I did this strictly for a month and lost 16lb so would thoroughly recommend. I had bags f energy and wasn't hungry at all.

It's not for me as a permanent way of life though (sadly) although I think I might become the lean creature I long to be if I stayed on it.:irked:

Latest posts

Back