Best nail polish for manicure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm more than wiling to give it a try. Hopefully I've had enough practise on my guineapigs to be good enough !

How do you find filing? What grit file do you use? :D

(I'm referring to REAL guineapigs).

Last edited:
Why do you have to apply it quickly? Wouldn't that make it unsuitable for the less experienced nail tech who can't work so fast?

It may do, but it drys so fast, you don't have time to 'play'. I suppose it just clicked when I used it, but it does apply differently, it's just my opinion that I prefer how it applies and lasts. The feedback from my clients when I started using it was that Vinylux lasted so much longer. I also find it lasts longer on my own nails too. I guess I found what works for me and my clients. I tried a few different brands before settling with Vinylux, but if your going to try it, it's worth knowing that you need to work quicker. 😊

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

It may do, but it drys so fast, you don't have time to 'play'. I suppose it just clicked when I used it, but it does apply differently, it's just my opinion that I prefer how it applies and lasts. The feedback from my clients when I started using it was that Vinylux lasted so much longer. I also find it lasts longer on my own nails too. I guess I found what works for me and my clients. I tried a few different brands before settling with Vinylux, but if your going to try it, it's worth knowing that you need to work quicker. ��

Thank you for your honest and sensible answer. That's all I was after. I wasn't really looking for someone bigging themselves up:rolleyes:

How do you find filing? What grit file do you use? :D

(I'm referring to REAL guineapigs).

I don't actually mind it. At first I found it fiddly but now I'm finding it easier and easier with each hand. I generally use a nsi combo file which is a 180/240. But I use the 180 side as that's what I trained with :)

I don't actually mind it. At first I found it fiddly but now I'm finding it easier and easier with each hand. I generally use a nsi combo file which is a 180/240. But I use the 180 side as that's what I trained with :)

I thought they had paws, not hands. ;)

I thought they had paws, not hands. ;)

Oh! Haha! Oh I'm really blonde sometimes :p

Well with my real guineapigs and dogs no one wants me to file or trim their nails. You would think I was bad at my job 😩😪 hehehe

It may do, but it drys so fast, you don't have time to 'play'. I suppose it just clicked when I used it, but it does apply differently, it's just my opinion that I prefer how it applies and lasts. The feedback from my clients when I started using it was that Vinylux lasted so much longer. I also find it lasts longer on my own nails too. I guess I found what works for me and my clients. I tried a few different brands before settling with Vinylux, but if your going to try it, it's worth knowing that you need to work quicker. ��

I like the fact that Vinylux is dry in under ten minutes, but I don't like applying it. I don't like the brush. I also find it accentuates the ridges in the nails if there are any, especially on toes. Most of my clients are more mature so they will have more ridged nails.
Also, I find that they dry quite quickly and the top coat thickens by the time you get half way through the bottle which is a shame.

I use Famous Names (Lumos) base and top coat and find this dries any polish really quickly. Still trying to find out where I can get hold of this.

I love Mavala polishes. They come in trendy colours and the bottles are small enough so that you are not buying big bottles of polish that you never use. I think they are great to start out with as they are inexpensive. We use them at college and sell loads of them!

I like the fact that Vinylux is dry in under ten minutes, but I don't like applying it. I don't like the brush. I also find it accentuates the ridges in the nails if there are any, especially on toes. Most of my clients are more mature so they will have more ridged nails.
Also, I find that they dry quite quickly and the top coat thickens by the time you get half way through the bottle which is a shame.

I use Famous Names (Lumos) base and top coat and find this dries any polish really quickly. Still trying to find out where I can get hold of this.

I love Mavala polishes. They come in trendy colours and the bottles are small enough so that you are not buying big bottles of polish that you never use. I think they are great to start out with as they are inexpensive. We use them at college and sell loads of them!

Do you think maybe the lack of a base coat perhaps accentuates the ridges? Like you, my clients are mostly more mature with ridged nails and I find a good base coat to even out the surface indispensable. Also, my clients would panic if I didn't apply a basecoat, no matter how much I reassured them it wouldn't stain their nails. They'd think I was taking short cuts.

S2 stock Lumos base & top coat x

Do you think maybe the lack of a base coat perhaps accentuates the ridges? Like you, my clients are mostly more mature with ridged nails and I find a good base coat to even out the surface indispensable. Also, my clients would panic if I didn't apply a basecoat, no matter how much I reassured them it wouldn't stain their nails. They'd think I was taking short cuts.

Have you tried it at all? It's difficult to explain, but it goes on very thin on the first coat, I find. It's dry by the time I go to do the second coat.

Yes I like to use a good base coat, but I like the fact that it's dry in under 10 minutes. I do more Vinylux toes than gels. But some clients have mentioned that they find it hard to remove, especially if it has been on for a while. I do always specify that there is no need for a base coat with this polish, but like you say, having bored them with my "you must always use a base" they do seem surprised. But my regulars do as they are told anyway, and accept my "say so".

Which Seche Vite do you buy? There are a few different ones, I believe.

Thanks, I couldn't see it on the website last time I looked. I'll check again.

Bless ... It is now just labeled Famous Names top and bottom coat because of a registered name issue in the UK .

Same product by Famous a Names but they are not allowed to use the name LUMOS in the UK.

I wear shellac on my toes a lot and when clients see the glossy finish we can quite often upsell to a shellac - especially if they have ridges and are used to regular varnish. I also use and love vinylux and when you have one of those real pain clients who can't make up their minds I offer married to mauve and they always have it!

Vicki x

I wear shellac on my toes a lot and when clients see the glossy finish we can quite often upsell to a shellac - especially if they have ridges and are used to regular varnish. I also use and love vinylux and when you have one of those real pain clients who can't make up their minds I offer married to mauve and they always have it!

Vicki x

I just looked that colour up. That's a colour I definitely need in my Gelish collection, however they don't do it! :sad: haven't seen an OPI like it either, otherwise I'd Megamix it. I wonder how vynilux would would work with Megamix? One for that thread......

I just looked that colour up. That's a colour I definitely need in my Gelish collection, however they don't do it! :sad: haven't seen an OPI like it either, otherwise I'd Megamix it. I wonder how vynilux would would work with Megamix? One for that thread......

Just received Simply Mauv-elous Dahling and I think this might be the right colour for the clients that would chose Married to the Mauve.
I also used a ACG colour on someone and she said that's the Married one but when I held the colour pop next to her gel she realised that it was different. Cant think of the name of the gel, and I'm not in the salon until Friday. I'll let you know. Was going to try with Megamix but with so many colours to choose from, I didn't get round to it.

Just received Simply Mauv-elous Dahling and I think this might be the right colour for the clients that would chose Married to the Mauve.
I also used a ACG colour on someone and she said that's the Married one but when I held the colour pop next to her gel she realised that it was different. Cant think of the name of the gel, and I'm not in the salon until Friday. I'll let you know. Was going to try with Megamix but with so many colours to choose from, I didn't get round to it.

I just looked up some colour swatches on Google and it looks more brick than mauve to me. I was hoping for more of a lilac deviation.

I got this for the Simply Mouvelous Dahling.

image.jpg

But want this:

image.jpg

They look completely different. This is the Shellac Married to Mauve

I use vinylux for manicures and pedicures and love it, love how quickly it dries and that people can put their shoes on!! Yes clients have said it's difficult to get off toes and some don't like that but I advise them to use acetone instead of polish remover as it comes off quicker and better ....in fact since vinylux I am doing far more manicures and pedicures than ever before. It hasn't taken away from my gel or shellac clients but has made new clients come in and once they have had vinylux(as well as my famous foot massages) they are hooked...every four weeks....has been great for business

Most popular colours are rock royalty , beau, hot chillis (all my older ladies who have never had colour will wear hot chillis), tutti frutti, tropic, pink bikini and lobster roll

Latest posts

Back