Best nail tech course?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicky36

Reaction score
I am thinking about becoming a nail technician (mobile), but am unsure of which path to take course wise. Can anyone suggest a good complete nail tech course in south wales area? x

What are you wanting to offer?

Manicures? Shellac? Enhancements?

What are you wanting to offer?

Manicures? Shellac? Enhancements?
Ideally, everything in time but i was thinking manicure and shellac to start with. I just dont know where to start. When i look online there are so many courses and training advertised- what is the best route (and reputable trainer) for a beginner? x

I'm CND trained and I've loved it so far. I'd never worked in nails previously, so started from scratch last November. I Started with the beginners course which includes lots of kit including a CND lamp, colours, essential items like scrub fresh and dsperse etc.

Then did spa manicure and spa pedicure followed by Art and Style and Perfect Polish. I'm just waiting for dates to do my Master Painter qualification next year and have booked on the Lecente course as I love their products. I also feel ready to try enhancements now so have booked an L&P course.

I feel like I've learned so much in less than a year, my CND trainer has been incredibly helpful when I have questions - literally at any time I have a question, she will come back to me. I've found CND trainers very knowledgeable and put me completely at ease. I also find Sweet Squared (who you book the courses through) very organised and easy to deal with.

Sadly, other companies don't seem to offer reliable training despite having great products. I've given up trying to book a beginners gel builder course with another company after trying to book it since August this year. Instead I'll train with Sweet squared and book a conversion with the other brand I use.

HTH

I'm CND trained and I've loved it so far. I'd never worked in nails previously, so started from scratch last November. I Started with the beginners course which includes lots of kit including a CND lamp, colours, essential items like scrub fresh and dsperse etc.

Then did spa manicure and spa pedicure followed by Art and Style and Perfect Polish. I'm just waiting for dates to do my Master Painter qualification next year and have booked on the Lecente course as I love their products. I also feel ready to try enhancements now so have booked an L&P course.

I feel like I've learned so much in less than a year, my CND trainer has been incredibly helpful when I have questions - literally at any time I have a question, she will come back to me. I've found CND trainers very knowledgeable and put me completely at ease. I also find Sweet Squared (who you book the courses through) very organised and easy to deal with.

Sadly, other companies don't seem to offer reliable training despite having great products. I've given up trying to book a beginners gel builder course with another company after trying to book it since August this year. Instead I'll train with Sweet squared and book a conversion with the other brand I use.

HTH
Thankyou, thats really helpful. Ive been looking at the CND training with sweet squared and it does look to be very good. It is the one i'm drawn to tbh and its nice to hear personal experience because training is not cheap! I hope you dont mind me asking but have you been able to set up on your own following these courses, and which other product brand do you use? x

Thankyou, thats really helpful. Ive been looking at the CND training with sweet squared and it does look to be very good. It is the one i'm drawn to tbh and its nice to hear personal experience because training is not cheap! I hope you dont mind me asking but have you been able to set up on your own following these courses, and which other product brand do you use? x

If you want to use shellac then Sweet squared is where you will find all the info on training!

I use CND shellac and love it!! I don't find the need to use any other brand along side it as it fulfils every one of my clients needs when coming to natural nail care!

With the CND shellac beginners class you get everything you need to get started. The kit is actually sort £250 and the 2 day course only costs you £295 including the kit!!

Glad to help. After the initial beginners course, I felt confident enough to start working on friends and family which naturally built up to advertising for clients within a month or so. Taking on your first client who's not a friend is nerve wracking but brilliant when they are delighted with their nails. I made it clear that I was new to nails when I started taking on clients but I'd practiced loads in that time so it was a nice transition.

I now work evenings Mon-Thurs and all day Tuesday and Friday as this works round my sons nursery schedule and have a dedicated nail room at home. I plan to offer 4 days a week when he starts school next year. My business has really taken off despite there being cheaper ladies in my area and I've only got 7 free appointments remaining for the rest of this year which I'm still in shock about!

Personally, I think my clients find it comforting that they can see certification showing my qualifications and my ladies who've been with me since the start are still coming. They like that I have a real passion for nails and nail anatomy - all of which I've learned from my CND training. They also like that I'm still training and not sitting on my laurels. They're also confident that all my products are genuine rather than purchased off eBay. My businesses ethos is healthy nails and my ladies have all benefitted from the products I use.

My other product is Gel II which is an equally amazing brand. I had to do a conversion for it which was brilliant but to be honest, I think Creative (who supply it) are completely swamped with demand and can't keep up. I am sure it will get better for them and I would have loved to do a Skyscraper builder gel beginners course with them as its a brilliant product but I'm no further forward now to booking a course than I was at the end of August/beginning of September when the courses started being advertised. It also took 4 months to get my conversion certificate from them which was a bit of a pain.

At least with Sweet Squared, I'm assured quality products, experienced educators and immediate certification which is helpful when I've studied L&P next February as I'll need to provide proof of qualification to my insurers before I can practice on the public.

Sorry for the waffle!

If you want to use shellac then Sweet squared is where you will find all the info on training!

I use CND shellac and love it!! I don't find the need to use any other brand along side it as it fulfils every one of my clients needs when coming to natural nail care!

With the CND shellac beginners class you get everything you need to get started. The kit is actually sort £250 and the 2 day course only costs you £295 including the kit!!

Thanks for the advice, its really appreciated! I think CND will be the way foreward for me. xxx

Glad to help. After the initial beginners course, I felt confident enough to start working on friends and family which naturally built up to advertising for clients within a month or so. Taking on your first client who's not a friend is nerve wracking but brilliant when they are delighted with their nails. I made it clear that I was new to nails when I started taking on clients but I'd practiced loads in that time so it was a nice transition.

I now work evenings Mon-Thurs and all day Tuesday and Friday as this works round my sons nursery schedule and have a dedicated nail room at home. I plan to offer 4 days a week when he starts school next year. My business has really taken off despite there being cheaper ladies in my area and I've only got 7 free appointments remaining for the rest of this year which I'm still in shock about!

Personally, I think my clients find it comforting that they can see certification showing my qualifications and my ladies who've been with me since the start are still coming. They like that I have a real passion for nails and nail anatomy - all of which I've learned from my CND training. They also like that I'm still training and not sitting on my laurels. They're also confident that all my products are genuine rather than purchased off eBay. My businesses ethos is healthy nails and my ladies have all benefitted from the products I use.

My other product is Gel II which is an equally amazing brand. I had to do a conversion for it which was brilliant but to be honest, I think Creative (who supply it) are completely swamped with demand and can't keep up. I am sure it will get better for them and I would have loved to do a Skyscraper builder gel beginners course with them as its a brilliant product but I'm no further forward now to booking a course than I was at the end of August/beginning of September when the courses started being advertised. It also took 4 months to get my conversion certificate from them which was a bit of a pain.

At least with Sweet Squared, I'm assured quality products, experienced educators and immediate certification which is helpful when I've studied L&P next February as I'll need to provide proof of qualification to my insurers before I can practice on the public.

Sorry for the waffle!
Ha ha, thats ok, i love hearing genuine experiences and training results, just posted a reply saying i think i will go to sweet squared for training so thankyou so much for your advice, this forum is fab, x

I am thinking about becoming a nail technician (mobile), but am unsure of which path to take course wise. Can anyone suggest a good complete nail tech course in south wales area? x

Hi Vicky

I would recommend getting a manicure certificate to start with which you can do in one day through next step beauty, they also offer an online course. I would then choose the gel brand you want to offer to your clients. CALGEL offer great 1 and 2 day gel courses in their system. Take a look on their website.

Katie

Stook if you don't mind me asking what did you charge in the early days when you were just learning x

I'm currently doing a Young Nails refresher course and I LOVE it..Trained with NSI but wasn't impressed! Couldn't recommend Youngs enough xx

Stook if you don't mind me asking what did you charge in the early days when you were just learning x

I think cost is very area dependent. Where I live, the average is £20-23 for Shellac. I work from home so didn't have salon overheads, so I charged £18 with a view to increasing to £20 when I felt more confident.

My reasoning for not charging less is that I would find it very hard to increase prices massively but a £2 increase wouldn't hurt my clientele too much. It's also physiological I think. Anything under £20 sounded like a bargain compared to salons so I still made a reasonable profit from the start.

Hi, I hope I am not hijacking this thread but I am really interested in your journey stook! I have done cnd shellac and art and style and just wondered how much you use your spa manicure and pedicure training??? I am also wanting to do the master painters cert and the cnd L&P in February but also think young nails L&P training looks great! Really want to do L&P but also not sure how much I will actually do???? Lots of difficult decisions! !!

I second everything stook has said - another CND'er over here [emoji137]
I've done much the same courses, and am shortly booking my master painter in Jan and have also completed L&P.

I started my training in July and trained at the London academy with Anna Lee - she is fantastic, always on had with the best knowledge and advice and she always inspires me to do better! I adore her!!!

S2 are equally fab - friendly and helpful.
I haven't looked back since the day I started - going with CND is the best decision I made [emoji106] good luck xx

Hi, I hope I am not hijacking this thread but I am really interested in your journey stook! I have done cnd shellac and art and style and just wondered how much you use your spa manicure and pedicure training??? I am also wanting to do the master painters cert and the cnd L&P in February but also think young nails L&P training looks great! Really want to do L&P but also not sure how much I will actually do???? Lots of difficult decisions! !!

Honestly, I've only ever done a couple of spa manicures but to be fair I've not pushed them. Spa pedicures however - I did masses of them over the summer. In my limited experience they're extremely seasonal and I've only got 2 pedis booked in before Christmas. Both are for clients who are heading off for winter sun.

As for L&P, not sure how much call there will be for it but I want to be able to offer the perfect 10 as I have a good number of brides to work on next year. If one of them breaks a nail, I want to be able to offer them a stress free option. Good luck with your training and MP qualification.

Latest posts

Back