Best portable card reader for low use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pink_Princess

Reaction score
hi, i cant see ill take a huge amount by card as all my mobile customers are pretty good with having cash ready. But... Im going to be salon based for a few days a week and want to be able to take card payments. Can someone recommend a good chip n pin reader with low start up cost. Also do they rely on having mobile fone signal? X

I use the iZettle chip and pin - cost £49 to buy unit then 2.75% per transaction so if you don't use it there are no charges. No monthly charge - very easy to use. Connects to your phone via bluetooth and goes over Wi Fi or 3g. Would highly recommend - makes you look much more professional and logs all transactions (can log cash as well) and gives you access to reports on takings.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've just joined Worldpay Zinc following hundreds of recommendations on here. No contract, no monthly cost or set up fees, just the card machine @ £59.99 and 2.75% per transaction on my particular product. So far so good! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Can I check that price with you, please? It's coming up as £79.99 for Worldpay Zinc when I search. When did you sign up?

Yeh I just looked at world pay zinc and I'm getting 79.99 come up as well. Don't really want to be paying our that amount.

I got £10 off Worldpay Zinc by following this link from a fellow Geek http://wpzinc.me/YtmcZJBsBQ

There are many other companies like payleven, sumup, izettle, payatrader. It's best to shop around and decide for yourself.

I'm using sum up, you don't actually need a card reader it's done all by smart phone to smart phone ;) only charges when you use it, I charge a one of few of 70p for paying by card to cover the cost Hth x

I've been wondering about izettle myself! Can you take payments over the phone with it or is it card present payments only, does anyone know?

I'm looking for a different card reader my first worldpay card reader was fab but then just stopped charging up my new replacement one is awful freezes when I need to use it or just won't connect to my phone which is slightly embarrassing when trying to take a payment

I have a business account with Santander. They just sent a flyer through for izettle. 2.75% per transaction. £59.99 for the card reader that is refunded on first use.

Last edited:
there was one on salon direct, about 50 i think + delivery & vat probs ! It connected to your phone via bluetooth and turned your smart phone in to a card reader or something no costs or anything other than buying the reader? I don't know if its any good or anything just saw it when I was looking x

I use Worldpay Zinc after lots of research. It works out that if u take up to £472 u pay 2.75% per transaction. If u take more than that but under £1000 u can pay £12.99 per month and that's it. If u go over £1000 they make u go back to 2.75%. They pay the money into the bank quicker than Izettle. My friend works in the card reader industry as we went through it and she said its the best one to have up to £2000 per month then I need to switch to a Streamline type one. If anyone wants to join Worldpay Zinc then if I send u a referral link u get £10 off the card reader and I get £15 Amazon vouchers.

Is the worldpay zinc one connected to the landline or via a mobile? X

I've sent you a message cloughers

Dudeymel it links to your phone with Bluetooth.

I'm looking for a different card reader my first worldpay card reader was fab but then just stopped charging up my new replacement one is awful freezes when I need to use it or just won't connect to my phone which is slightly embarrassing when trying to take a payment

Get on to customer services, you can ring them free (well included in your minutes) from your mobile, they're very helpful. Good luck x

Sum up have just changed the amount of time it take for the money to hit the bank.. 3-6 days now! Very competitive :)

Sum up have just changed the amount of time it take for the money to hit the bank.. 3-6 days now! Very competitive :)

I was so happy when I saw that email yesterday!

I know, its great when the money arrives quicker. izettle now only take two working days!

I received a payment on Friday and the money went into my bank this morning, was very impressed especially as it was a bank holiday! Although in a way it was quite nice having to wait for it as I almost forgot it was coming my way so it was a nice surprise to see it in the bank!

Latest posts

Back