Best qualification for hairdressing? Advice needed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaeellis24

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am 30 and have decided to follow my passion for hair and qualify (hopefully!) as a hair stylist. I am preparing to leave my full-time job (not in the industry), and have enrolled at a local college to do a VRQ level 2.
I am slightly concerned about the qualification after reading several conversations about the relevance and quality of this, and could really do with some advice before I leave my current job.
I have about 2 years to spend to get qualified and I want to make sure that I make the most of my time and get the best experience......
I cannot really afford to do the fast-track 16 week courses as they look to be a few thousand pounds - and they are NVQ?
If anyone has any comments or advice at all about the best way forward I would love to hear from you!
Thanks,
J :D

Hi everyone,

I am 30 and have decided to follow my passion for hair and qualify (hopefully!) as a hair stylist. I am preparing to leave my full-time job (not in the industry), and have enrolled at a local college to do a VRQ level 2.
I am slightly concerned about the qualification after reading several conversations about the relevance and quality of this, and could really do with some advice before I leave my current job.
I have about 2 years to spend to get qualified and I want to make sure that I make the most of my time and get the best experience......
I cannot really afford to do the fast-track 16 week courses as they look to be a few thousand pounds - and they are NVQ?
If anyone has any comments or advice at all about the best way forward I would love to hear from you!
Thanks,
J :D

I have nearly completed my level 2 vrq and to be honest its the same as any other qualfication taught all in college, the reason why some may say nvq is better is because most nvqs can now only be taken while doing an apprentice which taking an apprentice is second to none and is this best way to learn, how ever of course not everybody can due to circumstances age etc .. So theres nothing wrong with the vrq you will learn as much as you want to , i see college as a way of building my knowledge and i do as much as i can at home like practcing on my friends hair etc.. And also experiance is a must try take part in any opertunitys that come your way like for example ive done competitions and charity events through college.. And also a salon placement for work experiance is something that will benefit you greatly ...
Good luck on your new career i was the same as you this time last year and now i feel ive learnt so much on to my level 3 next ... Hope ive helped some what xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I would look out for larger salons that do the training themselves,

I would look out for larger salons that do the training themselves,

yea but the problem is age thats why its hard to get an apprentice i tried all large salons and all said no because i was over 19 x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

totally understand, altho there will be salons that will take older on,

I have done my level 2 diploma in women's hairdressing and my nvq2 and I start my nvq3 in september which is will be 3 years in total

Latest posts

Back