best scissors for a trainee?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gembos

Reaction score
hi all i am new to this bit of the site so bear with me and apologies in advance for being thick to the hair world, i have just been accepted to train as a hair dresser through my local training school. i already work in a salon and dont want to fry the girls heads anymore. lol. can any of you give me any idea what sort of scisours would be best for me and why. thanks very much gemma.

Well hun for a beginner 5" or 5 1/2" are the most popular and easy to control.

The very best thing IMO is to have two pair,one for block head (really cheapies) as they will not be suitable for cutting human hair afterwards,one for clients.

Remember your scissors are your main tool and an investment,however when training set your self a reasonable budget,then visit wholesalers and ask all the reps that come into the salon to bring samples (they will be happy to)

Hold them,move them,move with them,you'll just know when you have found the right pair

Mine happen to have diamonte encrusted,but save those for later :wink2:

Best of luck hun x

mine are five inch....becki having snags learning to hold them that my thumb gets wedged in ......any advice mate..or shall i chop my thumbs off pmsl

Your thumb get's stuck ?

As if it's too fat ? :lol:

If so,you're tyrying too hard :D It took me ages to learn,relax your hand and don't shove your thumb in,just let them rest on your thumb ,prob just above the knuckle area,make sense ?

pmsl when i hold my sissors ok ( when i trimmed ash's hair i held the scissors properly)and was practising not putting them down whilst combing a section and my thumb gets wedged in them...is it cause my thumb is too fat or....i am still crap at holding them...cant believe the muscles though from using them properly....oh and my right bicepts would give arny a run for his money.....didnt know hair dryers could do that...pmsl

:lol: yes your arms will ache and no hun you don't have fat thumbs :lol:

Practice swinging them around only on your thumb keeping them above the knucke,your thumb doesn't controll them they just use it to rest on iykwim ?

was practising not putting them down whilst combing a section and my thumb gets wedged in them

When you start to relax,one day you'll be looking in the mirror and SEE yourself do this,you won't have thought about it,it will be second nature,and it'll feel great :D x

Latest posts

Back