Best tips for nail biters?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melbee

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a particualy good tip for nail biters? I currently use NSI but they have quite a severe c curve, and most nail biters need a flatter curve. ?
Is it just me, or does everyone hate doing nail biters? it adds at least half an hour to doing a set! I feel like charging extra!

I use the Pro Impressions natural tips on my own and I bite my natural nails quite a lot.I find them much easier to blend xx

I sculpt so i can extend the nail bed to provide a more feminine looking nail... Tips on biters can make the fingers look a bit dumpy IMO.. xx

Well, what I try and do is this.

Sculpt the nails, and talk to the client (light heartedly) about how I used to bite my own nails - until you learned about how unhygenic it is.

Weigh up wether the client will be ok with you sharing what you know as a pro for their benefit, tell them about the millions of bacteria under the nail plate, how eating hyponychiums and eponychiums is not delicious or nutritious, mention about the side walls of the nail taking ages to repair once chewed away.. how skin grows back quicker and thicker in defense of itself causing the client to have cracked hypo's and epo's, thick over growth that does not look so good etc etc

Or you could just sculpt the nails and talk about some thing else ;)

Sculpting is stronger as it is one entity and has no join or break beneath it due to having to blend a tip on to the natural nail plate.

White tips straight on would leave a bizarre looking enhancement as it would be too far down the nail plate in most cases.

When you sculpt, do it reverse... you can use a cover pink to hide the jagged bitten free edge area, creating the natural length that should be there and then create your tip.

Watch out for any gaps in between the clients nail and the nail form that product could leak through and good luck :)

Last edited:
in agreement with Glam Glam awful habit. I get quite a few biters in and do my best to reform them :)

I also sculpt them as stronger plus most of the time they cannot bear to have tips on as cannot bear the filing to blend them in!! So it depends on the clients.
I use CND so use relevant tip, or sculpt. I use prescriptive service to camouflage and elongate the nail beds with opaque pinks etc:p

Go on YouTube and type young nails inc and find the nail biters video! Loads of tips and tricks for you to try and I think it's brilliant x

Hi, thanks for all your tips about tips! I will try those pro impression ones. I always make the tip fit like a saddle and nip away the corners if necessary, plus elongate the nail bed with a pink mask, but I just seem to spend ages faffing about getting it to fit right. If I was to sculpt, would the bulbous skin not interfere with the form? how do you get around this?

If I was to sculpt, would the bulbous skin not interfere with the form? how do you get around this?

You know with some bitten nails it is sort of peeled off at the edge? You can place the form over that area as this is not the free edge... does this make sense?

Also any areas that you are finding difficulty with form fitting you can give the insides a little snip with your scissors here and there so that you can get it to fit the client better :)

Hi, thanks for all your tips about tips! I will try those pro impression ones. I always make the tip fit like a saddle and nip away the corners if necessary, plus elongate the nail bed with a pink mask, but I just seem to spend ages faffing about getting it to fit right. If I was to sculpt, would the bulbous skin not interfere with the form? how do you get around this?

like I said I don't use forms to sculpt on extreme nail bitters...I use the freeform technique. In my last post above I posted a link to steps. If you don't want to do that you can always paint a little cuticel oil on the skin and sculpt onto the skin itself. I'll try and find a tutorial on that for you as well.

ETA: here is the link to a tutorial for bitten nails without tips or forms. it's done with acrylic but you can do the same technique with gel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DsG7GrLJUw&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL4E11C18A96158B27

Last edited:
Wow I've never seen that freeform technique before, have to try that! :green:

... Runs off to buy silk....

Wow I've never seen that freeform technique before, have to try that! :green:

... Runs off to buy silk....

I know, I didn't know about that technique in the beginning...but now it's the only way I do nail bitters...pretty much hassle free :)

Which brand of slik is best & where is best to get some please?

Latest posts

Back