Best toner for cool, yet not too ashy hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delia21

Reaction score
Hi all, so I recently posted about my hair toner done at the salon gone too dark/ashy/grey, kind of dull. I know it will wash off, but I'd rather be happy with my color now than say 3 weeks later. She used Alfaparf colorwear 9.21,very light violet ash blonde, left on for about 30 min. (Was that too long maybe?) I def want a cool tone (I do roots with high lift and end up pretty warm), I love the ashy/silvery look, yet my hair lightens to about a level 9 and the hairdresser said she can't use a toner that's very light. What would you suggest in terms of toners (not necessarily brands, just the shade range/combo) that would give me a nice, bright, yet cool toned look? I do not want any yellow/warmth, rather a creamy,pearly buttery color if that makes sense Lol. Thanks in advance everyone!

Hi all, so I recently posted about my hair toner done at the salon gone too dark/ashy/grey, kind of dull. I know it will wash off, but I'd rather be happy with my color now than say 3 weeks later. She used Alfaparf colorwear 9.21,very light violet ash blonde, left on for about 30 min. (Was that too long maybe?) I def want a cool tone (I do roots with high lift and end up pretty warm), I love the ashy/silvery look, yet my hair lightens to about a level 9 and the hairdresser said she can't use a toner that's very light. What would you suggest in terms of toners (not necessarily brands, just the shade range/combo) that would give me a nice, bright, yet cool toned look? I do not want any yellow/warmth, rather a creamy,pearly buttery color if that makes sense Lol. Thanks in advance everyone!
Your hairdresser is correct, she cannot use anything lighter than a level 9 on a level 9 as it won't do anything.
If you want bright on a level 9 you need to have some form of warmth. Brightness comes from gold, not ash.
Ashes are much denser tones than golden / warmer tones which don't let liggt pass through them as easily.
This is why a natural level 9 will look lighter than an ash level 9.
You need to go back to the hairdresser if you're not happy. You cannot put a toner on top of the darker ash shade you have, because colour doesn't lift colour.

Thank you, Ronray. I will def not do anything this time around but wash my hair more often bc it does seem to fade with washing, I was simply asking in perspective so I know what we should do next time. So is there no way I can get a bright, yet cool tone on a level 9? I do not want any warmth since it gets super brassy real quick. could maybe a mix of warm or cool be possible?

Thank you, Ronray. I will def not do anything this time around but wash my hair more often bc it does seem to fade with washing, I was simply asking in perspective so I know what we should do next time. So is there no way I can get a bright, yet cool tone on a level 9? I do not want any warmth since it gets super brassy real quick. could maybe a mix of warm or cool be possible?
If you look at the photo I've attached you can see that the cool is much darker than the warm. The warm is brighter.
If you would be happier with say the last 2 swatches, they are more neutral. Neutral is neither warm nor cool. But will definitely be closer to what you're looking for.
The only other of achieving a brighter cool blonde would be to lift the hair lighter.

If you look at the photo I've attached you can see that the cool is much darker than the warm. The warm is brighter.
If you would be happier with say the last 2 swatches, they are more neutral. Neutral is neither warm nor cool. But will definitely be closer to what you're looking for.
The only other of achieving a brighter cool blonde would be to lift the hair lighter.
For some reason the attachment does not appear, maybe you could send it again? Thank you loads!

My bad I forgot to do it 😂 😂

DSC_1238.JPG

Wow!! I actually love the last 2! Saving the pic for the next salon visit! Thank you tons, Ronray 😇

I do not want any warmth since it gets super brassy real quick.

You need to address why that’s happening as it shouldn’t get too brassy between colour appointments.
It’s probably because your hair is porous and you’re washing it too often and/or using heated styling tools. The brass is the natural colour underneath showing through because the artificial colour you’ve added is coming out.

Latest posts

Back