Best wax for eyebrows?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I feel like there's a million posts on eyebrow waxing but I'm adding mine for good measure :)

I'm from the UK and went to college there, so I'm trained in both strip & hot waxing for eyebrows but have always used strip as I find it easier to use on brows and gives a better result. I'd never once had a problem with my brow waxes nor had I ever had a complaint...

Since moving to NZ and working in a salon here I've had 3 clients complain about their eyebrows scabbing after a wax, and me personally too!! I know its not the temperature because I always test the wax on my wrist first, I never go over the same area more than once and it's only been 3 clients out of the hundreds I've done yet my boss is making me feel terrible about it! I put my scabbing down to the fact I was stressed out at the time (which I know makes your skin more sensitive) but my boss doesn't accept that as a reason.

Is there a particular brow wax I should be using? When I came to this salon they'd been using lycon vanilla strip wax and some lycon white hot wax- the hot wax is shit tbh and it doesn't remove any hairs so I've just been using the strip but now all of a sudden I'm having these complaints! I don't know if anyone before me ever had any problems that my boss is keeping from me but it seems it is my fault and not the wax!??

Any advice? whether it be changing my wax or changing my technique....

Could it have something to do with the clients skin as they are in the sun a lot more out there? Just a thought

Could it have something to do with the clients skin as they are in the sun a lot more out there? Just a thought
very fair comment!! I would say it definitely would have an effect, the sun out here is super strong as everyone says and the clients who have come back with the complaint are fair skinned.... but as it's not happened to them before it makes me wonder.

I use sienna wax. It’s lovely. Applies nicely and comes off well. It’s made eyebrow waxing so much quicker!!

All good ladies!! thanks for your advice so far! I contacted a manager of one of the leading brow salons here in Akl, and she advised me that here in NZ, they find strip wax too harsh on the skin and she recommended a good hot wax for me to use.

She also mentioned that skin lifting can be caused from particular types of skin care or medication people are on, so make sure to do a thorough consultation!!

Sorted!

I would say it is due to the climate you staying in now.
I used to work in London and used cold and warm wax (strip and film or hot) and never had a problem but South Africa where we have a lot of sun loving clients and extreme triathlete clients I find their skins do or can lift. And funny enough during Ramadan fasting month I can find waxing a bit tricky, so using a good pre and post product really helps.
Dehydration of the skin is a factor as well as the home care routine of clients after a wax.

I’ve stopped using strip on the face unless for lip possibly but now use Alexandria sugaring on the face and have not to date had any scabbing since switching to sugaring.

Hot and film wax for some reason has worse results with lifting the skin then using an azulene based strip wax. Contrary to what we are taught in beauty college about film and hot wax being better for delicate areas.
So each person I find is unique there is no hard and fast rule ; re doing client consultations every few months is vital in the beauty industry , many people are trying out new products and it can effect our work, which reflects poorly on us if they have a reaction.
People rarely like to take responsibility on themselves , always easier to pass blame to another person. (Like us)

Good luck

All good ladies!! thanks for your advice so far! I contacted a manager of one of the leading brow salons here in Akl, and she advised me that here in NZ, they find strip wax too harsh on the skin and she recommended a good hot wax for me to use.

She also mentioned that skin lifting can be caused from particular types of skin care or medication people are on, so make sure to do a thorough consultation!!

Sorted!
Hi
So I trained in NZ and have only trained in hot wax for eyebrows. But I prefer warm wax as it gets better results. I ordered a brand that I thought was good and most of my clients have been fine but I’ve had the odd one with the skin lift and I’ve done everything right with my technique. The hot wax that was recommended to you, is it working and if so what brand is it. I’ve gone back to my hot wax which I love for Brazilians it’s amazing but not for brows, I’m tweezing so much more and getting over it I miss my clean finish that I got with warm but don’t want to risk skin lifting

This is an interesting thread in recent years I have mostly stopped using strip on the face and I train my learners to do the same. Reason being removal of skin. I personally like Perron Rigot waxes x

I find hot wax less effective on eyebrows. Leaves hair in place, even fine hair. I find the threads sometimes difficult to avoid taking over to the face and get on Hair and eyelashes. I’ve probably just not found the best one for face. I don’t know. I tried Perron Rigot Rose and my client (a friend) told me her skin felt very itchy after and she found it more painful than strip. Strip should be ok if it’s not applied too thick. Occasionally I get a decent result with hot wax on brows but not often.

Yes agree I do use strip cream wax on the brows. Hot every where else x

Latest posts

Back