Best way of pre-pigment for blonde to light brown colour correction?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siansy

Reaction score
Hi guys ,
From experience what would you suggest for prepig for a blonde to brown colour correction. The hair is not in great condition , especially at the ends from lots of bleaching . I'm looking to give client a light brown ready for a very subtle ombré effect using hair extensions . She is staring a college course requiring natural coloured hair as we were originally going for a more creative red/copper ombré .
I'm thinking of using a red mousse as want to get this colour with sac little red as possible . Thankyou lovelies xx

Can I just ask if you are a qualified hairdresser - only asking because I'm assuming from your profile you just do hair extensions?

Can I just ask if you are a qualified hairdresser - only asking because I'm assuming from your profile you just do hair extensions?
I am asking for advice on colour corrections on a clients real hair , not on the hairextensions so I would assume I was a hairdresser using an advice site for hairdressers ?
I am unsure what in my profile suggests I only do hair extensions

Not all the time- there have been extentionists asking for colour advice and non pros.

Your post didnt contain the vital info which made me think otherwise.

What's the natural base?
Existing colour?
Target shade?
Your ideas?

Blonde, brown and bleached aren't really technical terms to get the right info from other geeks.

Don't take offence it's just the impression i got.

I have not had that issue on here on here in the past by using terms loosely . Bleached for me means bleach powder ect so bleached blonde . I am not yet sure of the level of light brown so haven't stated the number . She wants light to maybe mixing a level 7 with a 6 . She has to have natural colour so I can't really use a red/brown which. Would usually start with and we were going ordinal ly for a very bright copper red into a blonde which we can no longer do . I'm going to be creating the ombré with the extensions and blend the colour through those . I shall be using macadamia oil to protect the hair and help the colour take on the extremely porous ends .
So I need a red pigment to avoid khaki tone to the brown and wondering about a red mousse which I used to se yeas ago .
I am not responsible for the bad condition of her colour . Against my advice as she works part time in a salon and young let the girls in the do all sorts .
With reply to the hairdresser question I used ths site 4years ago and found it great but several of us stopped using it after the constant justification of everyone's qualifications , fair enough to not advice unqualified people but if you feel you need to ask the question maybe look back in their threads . It was a shame to get asked yet again , I shall go into my details and add my qualifications and hopefully not get asked again :)

I didn't really get the impression you were a qualified hairdresser from your posts- it's mainly just about extensions and some vague colour advice.

I would struggle to give you advice on your original information, you need to choose a target shade, then you can pick your pre pig. It's not always red you need to put in. Bleach can be a variety of colours depending on what's happened. Then you need to take into account her natural colour, does it need lifting or darkening. Do you mean using oil in your tint for condition?

It's like if I was you client and I rung you and said 'I've been bleaching my hair and I want to go brown' would you know what you were going to use just on that info? Probably not!

I didn't really get the impression you were a qualified hairdresser from your posts- it's mainly just about extensions and some vague colour advice.

I would struggle to give you advice on your original information, you need to choose a target shade, then you can pick your pre pig. It's not always red you need to put in. Bleach can be a variety of colours depending on what's happened. Then you need to take into account her natural colour, does it need lifting or darkening. Do you mean using oil in your tint for condition?

It's like if I was you client and I rung you and said 'I've been bleaching my hair and I want to go brown' would you know what you were going to use just on that info? Probably not!

You ask me not to take offence and yet more questioning about my qualifications and experience , why that needs to be continued on i am unsure . I do find your reply very offensive and quite insulting , there is no need for the final part of your reply with an exclamation mark. If you cannot advise then please leave someone else too . I am always happy to provde more details information when asked .
I'm not sure how clearer I can be , the client has very yellow over bleached hair and I would like to achieve a light brown shade around the level of a 6/7 mixed together .the is no base colour as had this bleached all over at a salon. I have asked about using a red mousse to prepigment as this us a method I used to use many years ago . If there are other methods then that is exactly what I'm asking about .
Certainly not expecting to have a fellow hairdresser on a site I have recieved very appreciated help on make assumptions about me and become personal .
Would still like to have any advice or opinions on a way to prepigment very bleached blonde hair to achieve light brown level 7/6 if anyone would be so kind , many thanks in advance x

Rant all you like- you haven't even said which colour house you are using, until you specify a colour house and a target shade no one can give you an answer.

I'm obviously not helping by asking you some questions about your consultation - perhaps another geek might have some spare time to draw information out of you.

Your qualifications aren't clear in your profile so there's no point getting defensive when some asks. The site rules are to not give advice to non pros- so as a professional you should be glad that we aren't dishing out advice to anyone that asks.

Not really a hairdresser lady

Rant all you like- you haven't even said which colour house you are using, until you specify a colour house and a target shade no one can give you an answer.

I'm obviously not helping by asking you some questions about your consultation - perhaps another geek might have some spare time to draw information out of you.

Your qualifications aren't clear in your profile so there's no point getting defensive when some asks. The site rules are to not give advice to non pros- so as a professional you should be glad that we aren't dishing out advice to anyone that asks.

How rude , I'm gobsmacked as again unsure what other information I need to give and have already repeated myself , and had asked if you can't give any helpful information leave to someone else . My lovely and happy clients would be shocked to see I'd been spoken to like this , please refrain from replying and make this thread a ridiculous form of entertainment .

I think you are reading my signature as an insult.

I only asked what colour you want to use and what colour house. Strange a pro can't answer this stuff.

I'm out now.

If my initial post is not detailed or clear enough guys what I am actually asking is if trying to avoid khaki tones on hair when correcting from a light bleached blonde hair (which has damaged porous tips which I shall be trying to cut off as much as is viable .) to a light brown level 7 and 6 mix . Is a red colour mousse a good option . I would usually use a warm brown such as a 6/3 with a touch of a red brown tint such as a 6/35 in either NXT , Or Koleston . But I have still seen khaki tones on the lightest porous blondes before . I want to try and get this right first time and not over several applications as I am installing hairextensions in the same appointment . I am going to use macadamia oil on the ends and in the tint to help aid good coverage and protect the hair . I will also be using the various strengths of peroxide dependant on the porosity of the hair. The client works part time in a hairdressers and the younger girls in there have always played around with her hair I between my appointments with her so currently there is a little left over khaki when they tried to put a semi brown on . Primarily though the hair is a light blonde level 11 I'd say from a photo she has sent . Hope this helps and please ask for more info if needed :)

I got a lady coming in for the same I use clynol colours I am not per pigging and I'm doing 1/2 7.4 1/4 6.0 with a small amount of gold mix tone and I might shampoo a semi at the back wash if needed x

Amy's hairdressing

I got a lady coming in for the same I use clynol colours I am not per pigging and I'm doing 1/2 7.4 1/4 6.0 with a small amount of gold mix tone and I might shampoo a semi at the back wash if needed x

Amy's hairdressing

Thankyou Amy , thats great , for a few years now I'd stopped pre pigging and just using tint mixes , although very bleached hair can be unpredictable so now and again I'd be unhappy with the results in some sections of the hair so wanting to get this right first time as work schedule so hectic for returning and correcting . As week as fitting extensions after . I may then try a 6/3 with a 7/4 , please let me know how it goes as my client isn't until Saturday 😊x

Thankyou Amy , thats great , for a few years now I'd stopped pre pigging and just using tint mixes , although very bleached hair can be unpredictable so now and again I'd be unhappy with the results in some sections of the hair so wanting to get this right first time as work schedule so hectic for returning and correcting . As week as fitting extensions after . I may then try a 6/3 with a 7/4 , please let me know how it goes as my client isn't until Saturday 😊x

I am sorry! But why would you decide to not pre-pigment the hair? If you werent pre-pigging the hair previously, you will end up with colour fade & to be quite honest youll probably end up with an incorrect colour acheived at the end of it!

Bleached hair doest have to be unpredictable? Where you never taught to carry out relevant tests (strand test, porosity) to name a few before attempting this colour, especially as you are unsure.

As colour girly said, you havent mentioned colour house, target shade, natural base. All things that a pro would include.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am sorry! But why would you decide to not pre-pigment the hair? If you werent pre-pigging the hair previously, you will end up with colour fade & to be quite honest youll probably end up with an incorrect colour acheived at the end of it!

Bleached hair doest have to be unpredictable? Where you never taught to carry out relevant tests (strand test, porosity) to name a few before attempting this colour, especially as you are unsure.

As colour girly said, you havent mentioned colour house, target shade, natural base. All things that a pro would include.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app
I feel like I'm being bullied now , I finally have a helpful reply from someone and then rudeness again. I am 43 years old and do not be expected to be spoken to like that . Over bleached hair can be very unpredictable if it's been played around with by unqualified people . You can't strand test it all and dependant on past colours and chemical treatments all individual strands can be different . I have in detail name the brand I usually use if you read through properly . Please once again let me be clear . The whole head s bleached I do not have a natural base to colour
The target shade is a natural light brown which about 3 times now ve put as a mix between a 6 and a 7 . The clients college course requires her to have natural shades so needs to be as neutral as possible . I have for many years had very few issues with colour correction and wanted to check out others ways of working as new things are learnt all the time . So if you had read properly before just repeating what the other one said and bothered to now look at my updated qualifications you may have saved yourself some time posting . If you feel you can kindly advise then feel free .

Usually we like to know base color because it helps put everything into perspective. For instance will she have roots growing in? Does she want a rooty grown in look? Will the brown be near her base color? I think those sorts of questions help us help you.

I do mainly blonding an balayge now, but if I must do a darker, I use Goldwell. I would definitely try a strand test and pre pig. Bleach is tricky. It makes the hair so darned porous.

Maybe sometimes posts can at first appear to be rude, but I don't think deep down they mean to be. The more information you give us about your client, the more we can help. Especially when it's a hair correction and you are adding brown. I didn't read what color line you use. If you did, sorry. I didn't find it.

The more information we have, the more people can weigh in with suggestions :)

I'm not trained in NXT and my wella is rusty. To go from a base 10 to a neutral 6/7 is quite straight forward, however you need to follow the procedure recommended by the manufacturer.

I suggest maybe finding out if they do colour correction courses to find out the information you need.

Perfecton by wella /03 is great for pre pigging , apply and dry into the hair. It Will even out porosity great :) then apply target shade/s

I've experienced not pre pigging to my own hair , won't be doing that again ! Ha

Usually we like to know base color because it helps put everything into perspective. For instance will she have roots growing in? Does she want a rooty grown in look? Will the brown be near her base color? I think those sorts of questions help us help you.

I do mainly blonding an balayge now, but if I must do a darker, I use Goldwell. I would definitely try a strand test and pre pig. Bleach is tricky. It makes the hair so darned porous.

Maybe sometimes posts can at first appear to be rude, but I don't think deep down they mean to be. The more information you give us about your client, the more we can help. Especially when it's a hair correction and you are adding brown. I didn't read what color line you use. If you did, sorry. I didn't find it.

The more information we have, the more people can weigh in with suggestions
:)

Thankyou for your input , I love the balayge technique :) the difficulty I've had with this client s hair is as she worked in a salon in between me correcting her colour she would be getting colour services done . She was dark red when I started and I was then just installing extensions , then at work she started having highlights including in the extensions much to my horror , lol. So in the last new extension session I tried to gently bring her hair colour blonder using maji meche. New mixed blonde and caramel extensions . I advised her to not have any other colour on this now and we would just start doing her roots. I'd say from the little I've seen of her roots she is a base between a 7 and 6 .
I am freelance and wella trained but use a mixture of brands . I use Avec NXT from Capital for all my base shades and the more natural colours and Wella when looking for a more complex shade . For reds my preferred brand is Loreal in majirouge as feel get the best depth and coverage . It's the flexibility of being a freelancer .
I know how to colour correct and how I was taught many years ago was to use a red mousse with no peroxide so this would wash out leaving little red . But for a long time now I have been using a mix of tint with either red in the tint or a squeeze of red correcter . If I need to tone with a semi after to get the richness that can be lost on over bleached processed hair then I do .
I was taught and had alway found that whichever colour brand you use the correcting colours would be the same or similar . So essentially I wanted to find out how others would correct a light bleached blonde hair to a light brown base shade and did anyone use the red mousse method .
I understand the issues of unqualified people doing hair and I'm an advocate of the industry being made a professional trade legally as pushed for by the Hairdressing Council .
I was always happy to provide more information but I found some of the replys very personal and abrupt , although aware that texts and emails can be hard to put a kind and understanding tone to . The continued reference to my professionalism was uncalled for especially without any input on how they would choose to do ths type of colour correction .
Apologise for going on but I was truely gobsmacked of how still the replys came across especially with several people clicking a like to it x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back