Best way to get the right style?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillian w

Reaction score
As a hairdresser what info do you prefer from the client when they want a new style.Is it best if they just describe or bring a picture or do you like it to be left to you so you can give them the style that would be suitable for their hair and face.

As a hairdresser what info do you prefer from the client when they want a new style.Is it best if they just describe or bring a picture or do you like it to be left to you so you can give them the style that would be suitable for their hair and face.
Hi Gill.
I don't mind how they describe it , either a pic or verbally but I wish some clients would be realistic.:rolleyes:

Some clients will show me a picture of a models hair and want it done EXACTLY like the picture. It really all does depend upon the clients hair thickness, length, growth pattern, abundancy, face shape, lifestyle, etc etc.
A lot of the time clients will say 'do what you like with it'!!! , but my scissors wont go anywhere near until I am happy that we are all singing from the same hymn sheet!!! I havent got a problem with that but first I make sure its what the client really wants.

One thing that really irritates me is when the client won't take advice.
Some of the styles in the hair magazines are not practical for people who cant 'do' their own hair. They will pick out a style, and when they have left the salon and are left to their own devices its just not managable or practical, even though they have been advised against it or had other suggestions suggested to them.

The magazines are used generally as a guide or ideas, but some clients really do believe that they will end up looking like the model in the mag.

I will spend time showing the client how to blow dry/ style their new hairdo, BUT if they havent got the nack its a pointless exercise.

God this is turning into a rant, but I dont mean it to, but some clients with really fine hair or with hardly any hair will often request styles that make em look as though they have a mop of thick hair.

Majority of clients do live in the real world, but unfortunately there are some that dont. You cant make a silk purse out of a cows ear!!!:lol: :lol: (thats not meant to sound rude, its just true).

xx

Ive been growing my hair for a while so i can have a new style. At the mo it hasnt really got one at all same as my avatar pic but now longer. I havent a clue what to say i want though.The magazines ive looked at havent anything suitable for my hair which is very fine.The styles in the mags are often not very suitable for ordinary wear and 40 something women.
I haven't been to a salon for years because i cant bend my head back to wash in the bowl it hurts my neck.
Where else apart from mags can i see styles is there anything online.

Ive been growing my hair for a while so i can have a new style. At the mo it hasnt really got one at all same as my avatar pic but now longer. I havent a clue what to say i want though.The magazines ive looked at havent anything suitable for my hair which is very fine.The styles in the mags are often not very suitable for ordinary wear and 40 something women.
I haven't been to a salon for years because i cant bend my head back to wash in the bowl it hurts my neck.
Try Hairstyles - All Beautiful Hairstyles

or Hairstyles - Pictures | Hairstyles Watch - Hair Styles

hth xx

Pictures say a thousand words...
Last night one of my 3 week regulars came in for her monthly trim, she tells me that she wants to grow her hair out like a daytime tv host.. meredith Baxter. But she isn't sure if it will look good on her. So I do the walk thru with her..What does she like about the haircut/ style? what doesn't she like about the haircut style?...She doesn't know the answer to either question because she has to think about what the haircut looks like. As where she had a pic in front of her, she would be more confident in her answers. So I cut her hair with the thought that she was growing it out..and styled her hair the way Meridith has hers. a shoulder length long layers bob.
She looked at it and said...."Ohhhh i don't know if I can handle the straightness of it! I don;t remember it being that straight looking"
I told her that I would hunt a pic of Meredith up and hold on to it for her..

So all my efforts of the consultation , haircut and styling was for not. As I know she will be back in 3 weeks having it cut different. ;)

gillian~ ask the stylist to wash your hair as you bend over the shampoo bowl..i have to do this with one of my clients due to neck surgery.

gillian~ ask the stylist to wash your hair as you bend over the shampoo bowl..i have to do this with one of my clients due to neck surgery.

Ive never liked to ask.:)

There was massive media coverage of injury's occuring due to back wash,all good salons should have a front wash option too.

When working as a stylist i did like them to bring pics,but sometimes they were so adamant on haveing the exact style it was a nightmare.

A rough idea what you want and a good stylist and you're laughing hth's x

Latest posts

Back