Best way to lighten bleached hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karaoke queen

Reaction score
I’m doing highlights with blue bleach 20vol and olaplex on the regrowth area but my client wants to be lighter all through. Could I use blue bleach pastel developer and olaplex on the previously bleached hair in the foil at the same time as doing roots or will this be on too long and damage hair? I normally don’t go over bleached hair. Nervous!

You’ve not said what level the natural is, what level the already bleached hair has lifted to and it’s current condition, whether it was bleached virgin hair or you were lifting out old colour or what the intended result is that you’re looking for.

Remember we can’t see your client or feel the hair, so you need to provide a LOT more info. to enable us to provide useful advice.

Oh yes sorry. She’s a natural base 7 she’s always had bleach highlights. I lift Her hair up to a base 10 but it tends to fade down to a base 9. Her hair is dry with natural wave but I will use olaplex to help the process

So what does she want, Platinum, silver grey, Sandy blonde?
Does it still need lifting from a 9 to a 10 for your desired outcome?

If you are wanting to lift the level 9 bleached hair to a 10, you won’t need anything higher than 3% max.

She wants to be a10. Not white but near to. I would prefer to lift it from 9 to 10. I will then tone using 10/86 wella with pastel developer.

I find that for lighter blonds having regrowth foils done who want a brighter result overall & to avoid lighter regrowth with a darker drab remaining length of said regrowth foils.......it is good to use 20vol+bleach for roots from front hairline-top through the crown where hair is more finer textured & takes the abuse of wear & tare....then I always use a gentler bleach with 10vol like Farouks CHI Bleach & apply on/in same foil as root with stronger bleach formula, the gentler weaker bleaching product through out the previously lightened darker lengths. Use a sweeping, slightly overlapping brush stroke downward into the blond lengths & a sweeping slightly upward/backward sweep ( against hair grain) in to the overlaping stronger bleach sweep. Sweep the lengths of the remaining darker blond lengths in foil towards the ends without getting bleach too heavy or any at all when you reach just before the porous ends or till where hair is more porous near ends with gentler bleach. All in same foil!

Tip: when top & sides to lower crown is all foiled..... mix up a fresh bleach+30vol for root retouch & some fresh 10vol+gentler bleach for back section of the hair( hair is stronger & darker here & 25-30mins from finishing full foils application, the back will be matched better to the front bleached regrowth) If hair is on the more fragile side for front & top......check first few rows of foils for lift & evenness. If these first foils are done by the time your full foils are finally done.....just damp rag with a little conditioner mixed in to the rag, off the bulk of the bleach of those first placed done foils (T zone usually).

Handy when you have a big head-O-Foils on dense hair types!...... Tone all over with 10vol or less.

Latest posts

Back