Best way to stick on false nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ella1991

Reaction score
Hi,

One of my regulars is getting some blingy false nails for her wedding (I only do natural nails so not something I can do). What is the best glue/method to use in order to minimise damage to the nail plate - I don't want all my hard work going to waste....thanks

I would strongly recommend that you dont involve yourself with this treatment, for so many reasons.

You clearly are not trained in the application of these since you are unsure which adhesive to use. In the event of something going wrong your insurance probably wont cover you for this treatment. Nail adhesive is an irritant therefore highly likely to cause complications if you use the wrong product or the wrong application method.

Stick on nails are not a professional product. If you went to your hair stylist with a packet of hair dye you bought in Tesco's they wouldnt apply it for you, they would offer you a professional service instead, and I dont think you'd be doing yourself any favours by offering a non professional service to your client.

Stick on nails are not good for the health of the nails. sure, they're "ok" for occasional short term wear, but they are very likely to cause damage to the nail as they are caught and broken off, and odds are on that the client will remove them by picking them off. I know we cant babysit our clients, but we can point them in the right direction, and applying a product that we know is likely to cause damage to the nail isnt a professional thing to do.

I think your client would have more respect for you as a professional if you advise her of the risks of stick on nails, and let her know that your regard and respect for the health of her natural nail is more important to you than earning a few pounds. Offer her an alternative treatment, but I would avoid the stick ons.

Hey!

I would maybe tell her to apply them herself :) just in case.

Out of interest, does anyone know what if any are the legalities of retailing false pre designed nails with adhesive for application at home?

I would strongly recommend that you dont involve yourself with this treatment, for so many reasons.

You clearly are not trained in the application of these since you are unsure which adhesive to use. In the event of something going wrong your insurance probably wont cover you for this treatment. Nail adhesive is an irritant therefore highly likely to cause complications if you use the wrong product or the wrong application method.

Stick on nails are not a professional product. If you went to your hair stylist with a packet of hair dye you bought in Tesco's they wouldnt apply it for you, they would offer you a professional service instead, and I dont think you'd be doing yourself any favours by offering a non professional service to your client.

Stick on nails are not good for the health of the nails. sure, they're "ok" for occasional short term wear, but they are very likely to cause damage to the nail as they are caught and broken off, and odds are on that the client will remove them by picking them off. I know we cant babysit our clients, but we can point them in the right direction, and applying a product that we know is likely to cause damage to the nail isnt a professional thing to do.

I think your client would have more respect for you as a professional if you advise her of the risks of stick on nails, and let her know that your regard and respect for the health of her natural nail is more important to you than earning a few pounds. Offer her an alternative treatment, but I would avoid the stick ons.

The best thing this client has done is ask a nail professional some advice. The best thing this nail,professional has done is ask for some suggestions from those that have more dealings with nail adhesives. I really don't think it necessary to get too 'precious' about stick on nails not being a professional,product and not good for the health of the nails!

They can be a professional product when needed (plenty of people,use them for predesigned tips and I use them extensively on shoots and fashion shows as do MANY other people).

As for nail health, NOTHING is good for the health of the nail if not used correctly! Enhancements and gel,polishes have done some shocking damage to the nail when applied incorrectly, removed incorrectly, accidentally damage and client abuse. L&P products have been in chemists for years. Are these not professional products? Yes they are but in the wrong hands

I can understand where you're coming from but I don't like professionals being snooty about some products. Especially as you gave no advise to the poor client whatsoever. So is it OK for her to stick them on (which she will do) and then not know how to remove them?

To the OP: you client asked you for advise. I think it's very important that you give it. There are 2 options. Most chemists sell sticky pads for stick on nails for under £3 These on a very clean nail will hold very well for the day and can just be peeled off. If your client wants a stronger bond then nail adhesive, also sold in chemists, is the only other option. What is essential is proper removal (although this will destroy the decorated nails it can't be avoided) Some chemists sell a useful tub that contains acetone remover. I think Kiss and Elegant Touch may have them. If not then a short soak in acetone is the answer but some oil can be placed around the skin first.

Of course accidental damage (if she knocks one off) may take a layer or 2 but this won't be disastrous as you can give this nail a bit more care next time.

The OP never said SHE was doing the nails. I assumed her client was doing her own.

Hi

Many thanks for your posts :)

I can confirm I wasn't going to offer to stick these on as a service. But as this is the route the client has decided to go in order get something unique for her wedding day (they are very blingy!) I wanted to try and point her in the right direction. Plus I know where she will come for a 'miracle' cure if they do cause any damage.

I take the point about removal been more important than the sticking...do you think the Shellac Norishing remover would work as well. Just thinking it may be kinder to the surrounding skin especially if they take a bit to soak off.

I also like the idea of sticky pads, although I'm not sure how the nails would sit especially as there are likely to be close up photos of the ring.

Thanks again for your advice :)

The pads are designed for this use and work very well. Plus she will be able to keep her 'bling' nails as a keepsake. She could always try them out and see if they feel secure enough. The nails won't be damaged if she's careful

Yes that remover would definitely be a good option and, if she does have to use adhesive, she could wrap them or soak them.

Do the sticky pads not come supplied with the nails?

Do the sticky pads not come supplied with the nails?

Hi, Not sure, like I say this is something she has brought herself off facebook. Hopefully they do and she will use these to stick the nails on as they seem to be the best option to avoid nail damage

I personally had a bad experience with the pads. They were so sticky I had to soak the nails off in acetone.

I personally had a bad experience with the pads. They were so sticky I had to soak the nails off in acetone.

Not every technique suits every person. Maybe you just didn't like the feel of 'pulling them off'? I've used this technique on 100's of models at fashion shows and shoots and many celebs with no problems at all (other than the feel of it). I've discovered that lifting them from the side or base better that from the free edge.

Warm water should help (e.g. in the bath) or dropping some oil down the back. There's a fine line between a bit sticky and sticky enough

The best thing this client has done is ask a nail professional some advice. The best thing this nail,professional has done is ask for some suggestions from those that have more dealings with nail adhesives. I really don't think it necessary to get too 'precious' about stick on nails not being a professional,product and not good for the health of the nails!

They can be a professional product when needed (plenty of people,use them for predesigned tips and I use them extensively on shoots and fashion shows as do MANY other people).

As for nail health, NOTHING is good for the health of the nail if not used correctly! Enhancements and gel,polishes have done some shocking damage to the nail when applied incorrectly, removed incorrectly, accidentally damage and client abuse. L&P products have been in chemists for years. Are these not professional products? Yes they are but in the wrong hands

I can understand where you're coming from but I don't like professionals being snooty about some products. Especially as you gave no advise to the poor client whatsoever. So is it OK for her to stick them on (which she will do) and then not know how to remove them?

To the OP: you client asked you for advise. I think it's very important that you give it. There are 2 options. Most chemists sell sticky pads for stick on nails for under £3 These on a very clean nail will hold very well for the day and can just be peeled off. If your client wants a stronger bond then nail adhesive, also sold in chemists, is the only other option. What is essential is proper removal (although this will destroy the decorated nails it can't be avoided) Some chemists sell a useful tub that contains acetone remover. I think Kiss and Elegant Touch may have them. If not then a short soak in acetone is the answer but some oil can be placed around the skin first.

Of course accidental damage (if she knocks one off) may take a layer or 2 but this won't be disastrous as you can give this nail a bit more care next time.

I just want to very quickly offer some further explaination about the reasons for my post. I read the OP to say that her client had bought some stick ons and the tech was going to apply them for her, and was asking for advice about which adhesive to use to avoid damaging the nails. cleary I mis-read the post and had I interpreted it correctly my advice would have been different.

However, at the time I posted I believed that the OP was thinking of applying the stick ons to the client and didnt know what adhesive to use, and if that had been the case I dont think there was anything wrong with the advice I gave, it would be a really bad idea for a tech to have a go at applying a product which she knows very little about, so much so that she is asking which glue to use.

Anyway, it's all a moot point because clearly I mis-read the situation, but I'd just like to clarify a couple of points. I am neither "precious" nor "snooty" about products, ever. Far from it in fact. I despise snobbery and elitism. The point I was trying to make was that if you dont know what you're doing you can cause a lot of damage with stick ons and adhesives, and that there are professional products that offer a better alternative. Nothing about either of those statements is precious or snooty, and to suggest that a professional ought to perform treatments with professional products and stay away from products such as stick ons is also a reasonable comment to make and certainly not snobby in any way. Again, it's all academic because I completely mis-read the intention of the OP, but just felt it fair to justify my statements, because at the end of the day I was taking the time to help a fellow nail professional by offering advice. I would be more reluctant to offer help and input in the future if its going to result in being accused of snobbery

I just want to very quickly offer some further explaination about the reasons for my post. I read the OP to say that her client had bought some stick ons and the tech was going to apply them for her, and was asking for advice about which adhesive to use to avoid damaging the nails. cleary I mis-read the post and had I interpreted it correctly my advice would have been different.

However, at the time I posted I believed that the OP was thinking of applying the stick ons to the client and didnt know what adhesive to use, and if that had been the case I dont think there was anything wrong with the advice I gave, it would be a really bad idea for a tech to have a go at applying a product which she knows very little about, so much so that she is asking which glue to use.

Anyway, it's all a moot point because clearly I mis-read the situation, but I'd just like to clarify a couple of points. I am neither "precious" nor "snooty" about products, ever. Far from it in fact. I despise snobbery and elitism. The point I was trying to make was that if you dont know what you're doing you can cause a lot of damage with stick ons and adhesives, and that there are professional products that offer a better alternative. Nothing about either of those statements is precious or snooty, and to suggest that a professional ought to perform treatments with professional products and stay away from products such as stick ons is also a reasonable comment to make and certainly not snobby in any way. Again, it's all academic because I completely mis-read the intention of the OP, but just felt it fair to justify my statements, because at the end of the day I was taking the time to help a fellow nail professional by offering advice. I would be more reluctant to offer help and input in the future if its going to result in being accused of snobbery

Well you and me both Chelle, I thought the OP was going to apply them to her client as well, originally, although tonight I have read back through the opening post and see I misunderstood.

I hope the OP manages to advise her client now, and I think others can just relax and chill a little. There is no need to get so defensive people, and take this so personally.
It's the written word, and it only takes the tone that you read into it ;)

Funnily enough when I first read this thread it made me think of the recent features on the nails at London Fashion week and the trays and trays of 'stick on' Design Nails that CND had produced for them. If its good enough for a LFT Catwalk Show then maybe a Bride can also do this as a one off.
The nightmare with these stick on nails is the non client who buys them for a weekend and keeps them on for ages after until they fall off, and only then they wonder why their nails are green:eek:.....but this was never going to be the case here.

Also if mum told me to jump I would say...how high? as she has forgotten more about nails than I will ever learn, but I'll keep trying lol :)

Latest posts

Back