Betnovate

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadenceAlex

Reaction score
I have extreme stretch marks on my bump... extremely severe, red, raised, angry, itching and HUGE.... the doctor gave me Betnovate cream but told me not to use much as this can cause stretch marks too - thing is, the cream isn't working at all.

I am constantly itching, it's really getting me down, I'm not so worried about what I'll be left with when the twins come out, but I need something to calm the itching. It's driving me crazy, it really is.

Any ideas? Someone suggested Calomine lotion?

I know it is completely different, but if you have an itchy rash bicarbonate of soda in the bath helps, it might be worth a try.

Have you tried Solar Oil,that might help too.

You poor thing, it must be really driving you mad. Not long now though Love xx

pure aloe vera?

Can I get pure aloe in a health food shop? That sounds refreshing and cooling... I really am in a bad way with these stretch marks now.

well i think like everything there is good and bad stuff, but yes health shops should sell it. I had really bad eczema when I was on a training course and my tutor put pure aloe vera on it and it was so cold and soothing and stopped the itching instantly. watch out cos betnovate is a mild steroid cream. Make sure you keep it really well moisturised, your doc should be able to give you a good emolient (I use diprobase) and a bath emolient like Balneum plus ( I much prefer it to Oilatum)

Try looking here hun, some important info. Get your midwife to check you out and try seeing a homeopath. Hope it get's better soon.:hug:
Itching in pregnancy

Be really careful with the Betnovate, especially when you are pregnant.
Cortisone isn't a good thing, it thins the skin. Can you take something like an anti-histamine to stop the itching?
Sorry it's been a while since I was pregnant and can't remember.

Hi, if this is the steroid cream I think it is, don't use it. Check the label and if it contains cortisone or hydrocortisone, avoid it! All you will do is thin the already thin skin of your stretch marks. If it isn't working anyway.....

What else to do? Try having cool showers instead of hot. Get one of those gel filled pads for bumps and sprains and cool it in the fridge, but watch out - don't want those babies to get frostbite! Make sure it is just cool and wrap it in a teatowel so it doesn't freezerburn you. you could try calomine lotion, or I used to get something called Lacto-calamine lotion when my two were wee. It's like calomine, but is creamier and doesn't dry out like calomine. THis might be more soothing. There is also the cream for "feminine itching" - can't remember what it is called, but it is in a yellow tube I think. It's not canasten, I think it has a numbing ingredient. Obviously check these recommendations out with your doctor, health visitor or pharmacist. I've got no medical training and don't want to be responsible for any adverse effects!

When I was pregnant, a nurse put the baby monitor on my tummy (with a huge elastic strap around my body). Later, another nurse came to take it off. She gasped as she was doing it and said "My goodness, look what the monitor has done to your skin!" I looked, but there was nothing out of the ordinary, so I said "Those? That's just my stretch marks." She replied "Those are the worst stretch marks I've EVER seen!" Just how to make someone who already feels like a beached whale feel good about their body!!! LOL

Thanks all of you, I will definitely leave the Betnovate alone - I wonder why the doc gave it me. The skin doesn't need to be any thinner, I'm strecthed taut.

I'm going to go shopping tomorrow and get a few things to try, as they will be great to use when the babes are born too.

I tried Udder cream yesterday, which is used on calving cows.... someone with an amputated leg we know, who itches like mad, swears by it.. but it didn't help me.

I know it is completely different, but if you have an itchy rash bicarbonate of soda in the bath helps, it might be worth a try.
I've used bicarb with mine for measles, chickenpox, etc, but I would advise you to check with medical personel regarding bicarb in the bath during pregnancy. You don't want to change the PH "down below" as this could give an opportunity for an infection to start. Not sure if it would matter, but safer to check.
I feel really sorry for you!:hug:

I tried Udder cream yesterday, which is used on calving cows.... someone with an amputated leg we know, who itches like mad, swears by it.. but it didn't help me.

Here's me telling you to check with the doc if a cool shower would be ok and you are using a cream for COWS!!!! LOL

An anti-histamine will not be any good, this is for itching which is caused by an allergy. The itch is probably being caused by the fact that the skin has stretched so much. Keep the area well moisturised, and calamine and glycerin cream may help to calm the itch.
There are creams available to treat itching e.g. eurax but you would need to check with a pharmacist if they are safe during pregnancy.
I don't think lanacane (recommended by marioned) is safe for use during pregnancy as it contains a topical anaesthetic which numbs the area. A cream containing urea may also help as will the balneum!!!!
hth xx

I can't understand why he has given you betnovate,it's a steroid cream for skin conditions such as excema .

I used lot's of e45,hth x

hiya-i take it u have spoken to your midwife about the itching?a certain ammount of itching is normal as your skin stretches but if its too bad it could mean its something else?think there is a liver disorder which starts off as major itching so i'd def speak to your midwife,and like the others have said-don't use the betnovate-it won't help-will just thin your skin out even more...
Hope it gets sorted for u soon babe-nearly there now!!!xxx:hug:

If you try the Aloe vera hun,keep it in the fridge between uses,i did this when i had sunburn one year was lovely,so soothing hth xxx

i suffered like you with my first pregnancy, awful itchy stretchmarks that looked like they were going to split, and red raw, i used to dab on calamine lotion with cotton pads and it worked.
i do feel for you hun, you feel like they are going to rip open dont you...lol

i suffered like you with my first pregnancy, awful itchy stretchmarks that looked like they were going to split, and red raw, i used to dab on calamine lotion with cotton pads and it worked.
i do feel for you hun, you feel like they are going to rip open dont you...lol

ohhh it's agony and the only thing that helps is a real good scratch - tried so many creams now that i could have bought a pram :eek:

what were they like after Joanne? did they calm down?

they did calm down, once i got so big my skin wouldnt stretch any further, lol ...i do find sometimes even now if it is too hot they get a bit itchy....and thats after 11 years of having them,

Sudocrem will help for the itching it is a cream used for nappy rash and I use it for any irritated skin it is cheap and you can use it on the baby too when it is born!!! it is soothing, cooling and antiseptic. You should also see a nurse to check on them if they are getting really bad. x

Be really careful with the Betnovate, especially when you are pregnant.
Cortisone isn't a good thing, it thins the skin. Can you take something like an anti-histamine to stop the itching?
Sorry it's been a while since I was pregnant and can't remember.

I have a skin rash on my legs and the doc told me to steer slear of anti-histamines as I'm pregnancy, so I'm guessing they aren't a good thing.

I'm using Bio Oil on my tum and so far, no itching and no stretch marks and it is keeping my skin lovely and flexible! (and my belly button hasn't even popped out yet - thank god, it'll ruin the line of my only maternity Xmas frock!)

Latest posts

Back