Big dogs - yay or nay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
A random topic I know, but it will be interesting to garner the views of a larger audience than my immediate family.

I'm wondering how people feel about big dogs, as people tend to be very much for or against them and rarely sit on the fence. We have a german shepherd (pictured in my avatar) and a german shepherd border collie cross breed. They are my fur babies and I love them dearly, and yes they look big and scary but they're such softies.

As I'm typing this my son has come home from his evening at RAF cadets. His grandad picks him up and brings him home each week, and this evening my son has come in and said to my husband that his grandad (ie my husbands dad) is waiting outside and would like a word. I told my son not to leave his grandad standing out in the cold and dark and to invite him im, but was told that he prefers not to because of the dogs!! Now I come to think of it he often waits in the car or at the garden gate rather than coming in the house, and I have an aunty who is the same because she's terrified of them.

How does everyone else feel about big dogs? I love them personally, and my own dogs are the light of my life, but I think its such a shame that we miss out on family time because of them. Im hesitant to acknowledge the possibility that they are anti social creatures, or do people think that its the family who wont tolerate them that are anti social, not the animals?

genuinely interested to hear peoples views :hug:

Love dogs! My dog is like my world! She's a staffy cross and she's got so much character everyone who comes into contact with her ends up laughing coz she's just so funny! However I know a few people who are scared of all dogs, large or small. They don't trust them and they hate the smell or they assume they ate going to bite because they bark. I wouldn't have a problem with any dog as long as they are trained well any dog could bite or knock someone down if its not trained properly. If you think some people are scared of spiders and snakes and rats. Some people just don't like animals. Do you think your family members just don't like dogs of any sort have they said its the size they don't like or the breed? X

I LOVE THEM!! I have an Akita who when I'm walking him people actually cross the road and stare at him in awe. Obviously they find his looks extremely intimidating. I love a dog big and hearty to hug. I personally wouldn't have a small dog, they don't appeal to me but each to their own obviously. I actually find smaller dogs bark constantly at him and wind him up when I'm walking him. Owners excuses normally are ''Oh he's just scared of him.'' - I don't care. You should of socialized him properly. So there's me walking an 8 1/2 stone dog and them walking a smaller dog and 9/10 I'm always the one that's in control of my dog.

Attachments

• 268757_2102576775567_5060249_n.jpg
    268757_2102576775567_5060249_n.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 144
  • 13056_1189314944592_7112102_n.jpg
    13056_1189314944592_7112102_n.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
big dogs = big personalities!!! i'd never have a small dog, i like a dog to be human size so i can get a good cuddle when i feel sad :hug:

I'm not an animal person at all and keep my distance when it comes to dogs especially, Iv just not been brought up around them so it stems from childhood fears!

My aunt has a dog that's on the large side very energetic and jumpy and he scares the life out of me! She clicked on to me not popping in once I had the girls so she pops him outside which I feel bad about but I just can't relax near him!

My friend has a bulldog I think and he's cuteish to look at but the noises (grunts) and the slabbers are a bit too much lol
I can relax more as he doest jump!

I try so hard to hide my fears from the girls I don't want them being scared but I am very careful as they are not around dogs very often so they may frighten them and dogs can be dangerous (sorry dog lovers)

We have a biggish dog - a Dalmatian. I love most dogs as long as they don't jump up. If people come to our house once I tell them the dog will stay in her bed until spoken to then they're fine. Our dog then precedes to pull faces until she gets the attention she feels she deserves!

i love big dogs, i've always had larger breed dogs, i currently have a huge fox red lab who is the light of my life. he's a massive wuss, as daft as a brush and as soft as a marshmallow! maybe i've just been lucky with my dogs but i find them more placid in nature than smaller breeds but wach to their own. my friend has a jack russell who is really highly strung and in my opinion aggressive but she is terrified of my dog and refuses to come into my house! maybe some people find their size intimidating? by the way your doggy is just gorgeous xxx

I'm not an animal person at all and keep my distance when it comes to dogs especially, Iv just not been brought up around them so it stems from childhood fears!

My aunt has a dog that's on the large side very energetic and jumpy and he scares the life out of me! She clicked on to me not popping in once I had the girls so she pops him outside which I feel bad about but I just can't relax near him!

My friend has a bulldog I think and he's cuteish to look at but the noises (grunts) and the slabbers are a bit too much lol
I can relax more as he doest jump!

I try so hard to hide my fears from the girls I don't want them being scared but I am very careful as they are not around dogs very often so they may frighten them and dogs can be dangerous (sorry dog lovers)

With all due respect and no offence intended, your Aunt hasen't trained her dog properly. Under NO circumstance should a dog be allowed to jump at anyone, especially a large dog. I always shut my dog away when clients arrive to be respectful and professional. I also always ask friends if they are okay with dogs before they come to my home. And yes, dogs can be dangerous, because they're animals.

My hotchy is huge! He takes up so much space. Knocks the kids over when he's excited and is a big clumsy clown!

Soon as someone knocks the door if he's out the back he comes running up to an 8 foot cast iron gate- about 4 foot away from the front door and everyone jumps or screams! He doesn't even bark!

New people are dubious and generally very wary but once they are with him for a few minutes they realise he's not at all a threat.

We would not be without him. He's our best friend x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361916679.405511.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361916679.405511.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 172
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361916705.372139.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361916705.372139.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 174
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361916835.255458.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1361916835.255458.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 163
With all due respect and no offence intended, your Aunt hasen't trained her dog properly. Under NO circumstance should a dog be allowed to jump at anyone, especially a large dog. I always shut my dog away when clients arrive to be respectful and professional. I also always ask friends if they are okay with dogs before they come to my home. And yes, dogs can be dangerous, because they're animals.

I don't know if its right or wrong he's just very friendly I think and very hyper, but jeez he's huge and it's scary

I don't know if its right or wrong he's just very friendly I think and very hyper, but jeez he's huge and it's scary

I understand and I agree with you. I would be scared too if I origionally had a fear of dogs. I don't even like dogs jumping up at me and I'm a huge dog lover!!

Love big dogs and I love wee dogs. I had labs and we now have a miniature schnauzer (known as the big dog in a little dogs body).

All are fine, if well behaved. I can understand why non doggy folk don't want hair or drool around them, sometimes for quite valid reasons (allergies?).

P x

Love big dogs as you all know lol.I've got a bullmastiff he's hugs but a big softy lol.

I've been attacked badly twice throughout my life by dogs once when I was barely crawling and my mum and dads English bullterrier dragged me around the house bit my finger off and ripped my scald of and broke my arm he would not let go of me and he did it in front of my mum and dad it wasn't like they left me on my own with him.The other time was in July last year I had my face savaged by a French mastiff she literally jumped up on her back legs a bitty face and nearly took my eye out and bit the end of my nose off I was in upright standing position didn't even stroke her.

The two situation happened because we found out that the English bullterrier had a neurological problem which is a common issue that they can have where they just go crazy out of the blue.The French mastiff had just had puppies and was being dragged around away from her pups on a camping site and she was clearly distressed with it all and when I was talking to her owner she had I think had enough.

These two incidences have not put me off dogs I took me a while to feel comfortable with my boy after julys incident but I'm cool with him now.I'm wary of other peoples dogs still but that's because its still raw for me but I'm working hard to get over that.

Big dogs can look scary people cross the street when I walk Gary but they don't know your dog like you do and I understand that.It does make me laugh that people think big dogs are vicious but think little dogs are cute but they have probably got more chance of being bitten by a lil dog lol xx

I also think it's down to training to my boys been going to training every week and still does from the age of 12 weeks he has now graduated :lol: and is a lovely well mannered boy he sits if he's being stroked by someone never jumps up and respects others.My number 1rule is telling people not to go near his face especially children and if people don't respect my wishes then I move on I also tell people not to tower over him.My dog my rules simples :lol: x

Do you think your family members just don't like dogs of any sort have they said its the size they don't like or the breed? X

It's the size they dont like. My aunty loves small dogs, she has a cavapoo (cavalier king charles x mini poodle - very cute), and my in laws used to have a medium sized dog, so they are dog people, but they find mine intimidating. My aunty has a particular fear of german shepherds for some reason so wont give them a chance, and my dad in law is scared because our dogs bark at people who knock on the door, we have assured him a hundred times that they are not aggressive dogs, all dogs bark at people knocking at the door, but once guests have come in they are busy sniffing them and waiting for a belly tickle, hardly your average fighting dog!!

We have assured both of them that if they came in the house and gave the dogs a chance that they would see how friendly they are and would wonder why they were ever scared, but they cant get past the initial large scary looking dog with the booming voice barking at the window.

This is my scary fierce hound by the way:

Attachments

• sadie.jpg
    sadie.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 157

completely agree, i can't stand dogs that jump up, big or small. when we first got our two it was the first thing they were taught, because at the end of the day who wants a dog climbing up their leg getting their manky paws (which trust me have walked through horse poop and all sorts) on their clothes and worst of all ripping their clothes. When we got our rescue dog last year she jumped up all the time and she is very hyper, but after a few weeks of stern no's she doesn't do it anymore. If my clients dogs jump up at me i bat them away haha. The worst my dogs do is run at people with cuddly toys but only people we know well, i wouldn't let them near a stranger because i'd be worried if they were scared of dogs what they would do to mine if they got frightened x

I've been on both sides.I never really liked dogs that much and it really annoys me when you have a big dog jump at you and people say he's ok he won't hurt you.I don't care I don't want someone's dog jumping all over me.You may love him to bits but I don't.
I now have my own lab and am surprised at the love I feel for her but I remember how I used to feel and as much as possible keep her away from clients she never jumps up now we stopped that as a puppy but she is a crotch sniffer only a quick sniff but I know it embarrasses people.
Fortunately she also never barks or growls i think she's mute.I guess she's so used to people coming and going all the time.
I also won't let her near little children when out unless they come and ask with their parents if they can stroke her.

I love love love dogs!! However, I was unsure of them before I actually had one. I can see how people would be wary of dogs if you have not been brought up around them or if they are naughty and don't respond to their handler.

I have Jack Russell's and personally prefer a smaller dog. They are honestly the must tough, sturdy little dogs,they're incredible :lol: xx

Fortunately she also never barks or growls i think she's mute.
my lab doesn't bark or growl either! he gets picked on by the cats in my street, they jump off of the tops of wheelie bins at him but he just shrugs them off. he also does the cuddly toy thing when greeting someone, his ears go back and up so he looks like a huge ginger Dobby the house elf lol xxx

Would have a big dog any day over a small one.
Had a rottweiler and a westie and the westie was more aggresive use to bite peoples ankles!!

Latest posts

Back