Big fish or little fish?????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger Jay

Reaction score
No this isn't a thread about fish, otherwise I would be on a totally different forum!

I have a question for everyone here.

It's basically about where you see yourselves in the industry of nails/hair/beauty.
Whether it is now, or what you predict in the future.

I don't mean, which salon you are working at or running etc.

I mean in the great scale of things (bad joke I know) are you a small fish in a big pond or a big fish in a small pond, with the possibility of becoming one of the big fishes in the sea!???

Am I making sense? No? Ok this is the best way I can explain.

A big fish being in the small pond, for example, a salon/mobile tech business which is successfully run, leaving you with a name of having a great reputation in your area. Locally you are well known, for what you do.

A small fish in a big pond, for example, perhaps working with a reputable team in the fashion industry, whether it be photo shoots for top magazines, session work, educators etc, like I say, with the possibility of becoming one of the BIG fishes in the sea, such as our Mr Sweet, Leighton Denny, Marian Newman,Gigi..........oh and the the list continues........desperatly trying not to miss people out, but impossible!!!!

Personally, I'm not in a full time position to rate myself as anything yet. But when my boy eventually starts school and I can extend my hours as a mobile tech and aim for being that big fish in the small pond.............for now!

What's your thoughts????

Ooooooh, I am a very small fish in a big massive pond with tidal waves and tsunamis, lol.

I have never thought of myself as a high flyer, go getter or a doer of things on a grand scale. I am quite laid back. Don't get me wrong, I am not afraid of working hard, but personally for me, I find the smaller things in life keep me happy.

But that is just me. I have a sister who runs on high octane. I say good for her and she thrives on it, but it's just not for me.

I do admire big fish in small ponds as long as what they have acheived has been honest and without malicious stomping on other people.

Ooooooh, I am a very small fish in a big massive pond with tidal waves and tsunamis, lol.

I have never thought of myself as a high flyer, go getter or a doer of things on a grand scale. I am quite laid back. Don't get me wrong, I am not afraid of working hard, but personally for me, I find the smaller things in life keep me happy.

But that is just me. I have a sister who runs on high octane. I say good for her and she thrives on it, but it's just not for me.

I do admire big fish in small ponds as long as what they have acheived has been honest and without malicious stomping on other people.
AH!!!
But this is one of the points that I'm making here. Being a small fish, doesn't necessarily mean you are not successful in what you do! If you are happy, content and know you are achieving exactly what you want to achieve, surely this is success for you on a personal level.

Every one has their different views of what they want to achieve, what may seem small to one person would be huge to another.

So the up shot of it all is, for you, although you have no intention of becoming one of the big sea creatures out there, you are still a big fish in a smaller pond. You are achieving your personal goal. No?

AH!!!
But this is one of the points that I'm making here. Being a small fish, doesn't necessarily mean you are not successful in what you do! If you are happy, content and know you are achieving exactly what you want to achieve, surely this is success for you on a personal level.

Every one has their different views of what they want to achieve, what may seem small to one person would be huge to another.

So the up shot of it all is, for you, although you have no intention of becoming one of the big sea creatures out there, you are still a big fish in a smaller pond. You are achieving your personal goal. No?
Ah! I missed your point there Tiger Jay, lol. For me personally, I haven't acheived my goal yet, but I'm working on it. I've gone from nursing (which I enjoyed for a while) to totally flipping the coin and enjoying all things beauty related. I think the bigger picture for me is still to come.

Cool! A positive attitude!:)

It be really interesting to hear from some sea creatures too, don't be shy you know who you are.....to give us an idea of where they see themselves at the moment. Are there still goals to be set and achieved from you guys????

I mean what are the limits here??

Is there an ultimate?
What are the options/areas you can get in to in the industry?

At the moment I am happy aiming to be a big fish in a small pond - I'd like a full book and a good repuation...... Right now I have a 2/3rds full book, and most of my clients love me (I think!)..... I'd like to be well known for both the quality of my nails and my service.

When my kids are older I would like to spread my wings more, Team Creative would be wicked (in my dreams, lol!).....

At the moment I am happy aiming to be a big fish in a small pond - I'd like a full book and a good repuation...... Right now I have a 2/3rds full book, and most of my clients love me (I think!)..... I'd like to be well known for both the quality of my nails and my service.

This sounds exactly like me too. I am not full-time, I work during school hours and a lot of evenings, and fit the business hours around the kids and I like it that way . . . don't have any ambition (atm anyways) more than lots of happy clients who recommend me. So I guess I am a big fish in a small pond!

ooowww good question i would love to be a big fish i love seeing how far i can push myself and my skills as a nail tech so i am going to start to work my way up the ladder!!!xxx

When my kids are older I would like to spread my wings more, Team Creative would be wicked (in my dreams, lol!).....

I'm very similar to Vetty here, however Team Creative is not in my sights...not that I don't think it's fab, but not for me.
I have a reasonably good reputation in my local area, many, if not most of my client s stay with me & if they have to, leave & come back later.

I'd love to have a salon of my own, being predominantly nails & waxing & tanning/sun beds etc. But this is unlikely until my kids (12 & 13 yrs) give me good reason to let me believe they are perfectly responsible to be left alone without arguing, fighting, tormenting, bullying, punching, annoying and generally hating each other!!!

Guess it's never gonna happen!!!:irked:

I think at the moment by your definition that I am a big fish in a small pond as in my locality.....I have no desire to do session work, it doesn't float my boat at the moment, well I couldn't anyway as my kids are young etc etc etc.....my aim is to be a big fish in a big pond should I ever get there! (which I think the people you named in your original thread are....and there are so many more to add.)

I would like to be a big fish in a small pond, but at the moment I think I'm more of a small tadpole in a small puddle!
I'm very happy working from my home based salon and could never imagine employing other people. Hopefully one day in the not too distant future (with a lot of hard work) I'll be well thought of with a superb reputation, lots of happy clients, instead of just a few, like I have at the moment.:)

I would like to be a big fish in a small pond, but at the moment I think I'm more of a small tadpole in a small puddle

Aw bless you...I am very sure you will get to where you want to be !:hug:

i am a smallish fish who is very happy growing into a bigish fish in her own time and at her own pace. I do not expect everything now just one little growth spurt at a time :)and one day like my little one says "i will be big mummy"

so a bigish fish in a smallish pond

I'm just happy where I am atm....enough clients who seem to be happy with me. I have a very big fish nearby so I think I'm doing ok:)

Latest posts

Back