Big, scary step ..changing career path

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisamac73

Reaction score
Good Morning....

Please please could you help with information on the best training options that are available within a reasonable cost. I am well aware that this is going to be a long uphill journey but one I am willing to take at 39!!!!:o
I live in Portsmouth and do have several good colleges near by but really wanted to crack on with some courses but do I go down the NVQ level 2 Beauty route or just do key units? My aim in 2/3 years is to have either a set up at home or mobile.

I have no experience what so ever within the beauty industry but do have 23 years customer service/retail experience so its not all bad news!

My preference would be to learn :

1st preferences : Manicure/Pedicures, Gel Extensions, Gel Polish and Minx/Nail Wraps

2nd pref : Brow Shaping/Eyelash Tinting, Basic Waxing Techniques

With the aim to in 2/3 years learn Eyelash ext, Acrylic Nails and semi-permanant mascara.

My head is spinning as I seem to be going round in circles, I dont have a spare £3,000 to do an NVQ level 2 Beauty plus it has units which I am not keen to learn at this point (but may be my only option)....

Where do I start??? Please someone help with some advice :rolleyes:

Thank you and look forward to hearing from you

L x

Hi,

I'm not a professional so cant really give you any career advice as such, but I'll give you my honest opinion as I also have no beauty experience whatsoever, I'm 32 and in full time work, and like you I also get overwhelmed by all the courses and things to learn and ways of doing so!

For me I tend to work towards short term goals. It's good to have long term goals, dont get me wrong, but there is just so much to learn that I find it best to focus on one step at a time rather than think about the whole bigger picture too soon.

For example the first thing I would like to do is enrol on a course and get a basic manicure/pedicure certificate. Start with nails. This is an achievement and it's not just about how to file a nail or the products used but the anatomy of the nail,diseases,contra-indications, history of the nail. I find all that really interesting and am eager to learn.

You say there are elements you aren't keen to learn but to become successful I believe you have to be keen to learn everything that's on the courses. The history of the nail or nail anatomy may sound boring but you have to have real passion for what you're doing. A lot of the Geeks on here have got where they have through not just going on courses, but by being really passionate about what they do and thriving on constantly learning soaking up information like a sponge :)

For me I want to learn absolutely everything about beauty. But going back to what I said before, I think it's better to take small steps. I wouldn't do nails, then waxing, then go back to nails again, then something else etc etc.

Concentrate on getting yourself a basic manicure/pedicure certificate and training in one beauty skill at a time.

A few courses may require you to have that anyway but even if they dont it's the best starting block in my opinion. And after that you can go onto other units.

I want to train with sweet squared as they do the CND courses for nails and Shellac. They require a mani/pedi certificate to register and I'm sure if you ring or email them they can put you in touch with people for the nail side of things.

Regarding the costs, yes it is a lot of money but if you're serious about earning a living from it then you should aim to train to the best standard you can with the best people.

All too often you see these intensive short courses for next to nothing and whilst they may seem appealing you will most likely forget everything they've taught you as it's way too much crammed into such a short space of time and they cant possibly be teaching you everything there is to know in that amount of time.

Another plus of doing one unit/course at a time is that its affordable. I looked at the complete course from sweet squared for CND for the nails and its almost £2k.

Even if I could afford that I wouldn't do it as I feel it would be throwing me in at the deep end.

I would get in touch with sweet squared for the nail side of things or speak to people you know who may have done a course at your local college. It is best to be taught by someone who actively carries out the skills being taught, like if they have their own salon or mobile business. I wouldn't want to be taught by someone who knows the theory inside out but rarely practices the techniques.

Once you've become competent and confident in say nails and have the qualifications you could start by becoming a mobile nail technician.

Many people do this and then train in something else to add extra services for their clients.

Start small, finish big :hug:

Good luck and sorry for the huge essay! :biggrin:

xxx

I disagree with the above post. If you have never worked in the industry you will benefit immeasurably from a longer, more in depth course.
For nails, shorter courses are ok, but if you have never worked around people's eyes, a one day course is really not enough.
If you want to earn a living from beauty, you will need to invest time and money.

I disagree with the above post. If you have never worked in the industry you will benefit immeasurably from a longer, more in depth course.
For nails, shorter courses are ok, but if you have never worked around people's eyes, a one day course is really not enough.
If you want to earn a living from beauty, you will need to invest time and money.

Sorry Persianista,

I think you've misinterpreted/misread what I said.

I didn't say that short courses were the way to go. In fact you'll see I said that those intensive short courses are NOT the way to go.

I agree with you that an in depth course will be very beneficial.

What I said was that it's best to learn each unit separately, as in have a separate in depth course for each separate skill and learn one at a time and not try to juggle loads at once. Surely you would get more benefit out of doing say a 12 week course on everything to do with nails, then another course for eye waxing, then another course for eyelash extensions, a separate course for tanning....etc, rather than a 12 week course that tries to cram everything in,in one go?

I don't know how long courses generally are but what I was trying to say was that I would get the most in depth course you can on each skill , one that covers the history, anatomy...everything it can do, and learn each one seperately and once youve mastered one and are fully trained you can then go onto something else. Obviously this is going to be more costly and take longer than doing a course that covers everything together but like you say , you have to invest time and money.

Hope we are on the same page now :hug:

There are no longer courses for say, lash tinting. You can either do an NVQ or day courses. There isn't much in between.

There are no longer courses for say, lash tinting. You can either do an NVQ or day courses. There isn't much in between.

Ah right, I didn't realise this. My mistake.

That's a shame as working full time would mean I'd have to do a part time course if I wanted to go the whole hog (for now my priority is just nails) and I'm not sure if you can do part time evening/weekend to gain an NVQ can you?

x

Yes you can. Most colleges offer this option.

Thank you for your thoughts!!!! Wasn't sure if I would get a reply!!!

Funny I was actually sat reading a book on hand/feet structure, reflexology, manicure/pedicure trying to absorb some basic knowledge!

Like you have both pointed out, there are courses out there which yes I could do and pay for but after a day or two training isn't going to give me the experience but are suggesting that I could then obtain liability insurance to start practising these treatments which is slightly worrying.....

After reading up on a few things I think my first hurdle is to get a manicure/pedicure qualification and take it from there....

Any other advice would be gratefully received :wink2:

Again thank u x

Sparkling*diva.... My local college runs a level 2 vtct certificate in nail technology & Nail treatments part-time so maybe there would be one near you?

My problem is I want to start now and not wait until September also there are units within the nvq level 2 beauty which I am not keen to learn...

My question is can you just take certain units of the nvq level 2??

There seems to be Alot of business acumen I.e running a diary/ appointment, client referral, customer service, housekeeping etc.... For a younger student is A vital part of training but not necessarily for a more 'mature' learner!!:wink2:

Sparkling*diva.... My local college runs a level 2 vtct certificate in nail technology & Nail treatments part-time so maybe there would be one near you?

My problem is I want to start now and not wait until September also there are units within the nvq level 2 beauty which I am not keen to learn...

My question is can you just take certain units of the nvq level 2??

There seems to be Alot of business acumen I.e running a diary/ appointment, client referral, customer service, housekeeping etc.... For a younger student is A vital part of training but not necessarily for a more 'mature' learner!!:wink2:

Thanks for the recommendation hun but I'm just going to get a basic mani/pedi certificate local to me and then do the rest with Sweet Squared. I am really in love with Shellac and want to be trained by CND only :)

x

Hello,

I'm in a similar situation to yourself hun. I've not been to college nor do I have experience in the beauty world. I've always been interested in it though and now im at the stage where I can do something about it.
I wouldn't worry about your age hun, don't let that put you off!!

I'm with you on the whole college thing, there are certain treatments that i'd like to learn and ones that im really not interested in. That being said though, I guess part of what you learn depends on client demand in your area.......

Ive spent time looking for courses on the internet and have recently done a manicure/pedicure course with the Carlton Institute, worth a look as they do a variety of courses at different locations in the UK.

I see your interested in doing nail wraps. Most places require a manicure/pedicure qualification before you can sign up for the course though so bear this in mind.

I also did lash perming with the carlton institute. I think the courses are good & the trainers informative.
No matter where you start though, Ive been told practice is the key.

Good luck with it all.
Keep us posted!! x:lol:

Im right along with you in wanting to retrain. I have worked in hospitality and entertainment in the past and have my degree in entertainment management but it's not a great deal of use now I have left London doh!

However do shop arround for courses! I have signed up to a college to do the nvq 2 and its FREE! All I have to pay for is my uniform, kit and exam fees. They do however insist that if you have not got GCSE Math, English and ICT that you attend a 1 hr 15 a week on each subject area (so 3 hrs 45 in total). I was lucky that I have English and Maths but I didn't do ICT in school all those years ago so will have to suck it up and do their damn classes even though I can use a computer very well. Equally I am going to suck it up and do their modules on "reception" and the likes (which makes me laugh as I have already done that kind of work in high end establishments). However like I said, I dont have to take a £3,000 course fee into account, I can see why you don't want to pay to study what you already know along with what you want to learn. But try surrounding areas to see if you can source a college offering it for free :)

P.s. I <3 Portsmouth, I lived there for a year and then a year in Southsea. I still love going back to visit :)

Latest posts

Back