Big steps, too soon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KirstieLou

Reaction score
Only just qualified and I already want my own salon. I've looked into prices etc etc, is this too soon?!
My dad is a business man so knows how to run. I have many friends who are struggling to find jobs and are all fully qualified and potter about doing mobile here and there so I know I'd have others to work with.
Am I being silly?!
Honest opinions xx

You would be best to try and get some salon experience before opening your own salon, in my opinion.

You need to learn how to deal with issues with customers that your business man dad would have no idea of. It's a very different game.

Good luck whatever you decide to do :)

Im in the exactly the same position KirstieLou, I would love to do the same but I personally feel that I dont have the enough experience to just jump right in, if you spent a year maybe two working in a salon environment then you would have a lot more customer facing experiencee under your belt. I think thats what Im going to try and do!
Good Luck!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

I agree get plenty of salon experience before starting out on your own. Now you are qualified this is when you Will really start to learn. Note how other salons run their business what they have to offer. I have been in business for over 25 years and still book myself in for treatments at other salons seeing what they offer that we don't .you never stop learning good luck in what ever you choose x

I understand what the prvious geeks mean, if you have never worked in a salon, how can you run one, but....... on the other hand ( I am in the same position as you) There are so many unhappy clients out there who feel salons treat them as a commodity with very little personal care. I think that as long as you have stringent hygeine practices, professional attitude and very strong health and safety policies in place you might do well, just be careful of the beauticians you employ not trying to tell you how to run your business, it will be different to any salon they have worked in before but I think this is the changing face of the Beauty Salon, so many of us are now opening ourown because there are not enough jobs for newly qualified beautucians. Good luck

All have valid points And my dad definitely won't understand some bits lol, can't imagine him dealing with nails!
I'm so impatient though I love jumping straight in, maybe this time I need to hold back.
I really don't want to work in a salon, my other option was going mobile. Do you think there is a market for this? I'm wondering if people wanton old facials etc?! Not just nails etc xx

personally you not only need to hone your skills in a salon environment as once you leave college there is still more to learn so much more than you think. you also need to learn the workings of a salon, in a salon you will see how you want things to be and how you dont.

secondly its generally not a good idea to mix business and family/friends....rarely does it work....if you value your friendships id find staff elsewhere!

good luck in whatever you decide

personally you not only need to hone your skills in a salon environment as once you leave college there is still more to learn so much more than you think. you also need to learn the workings of a salon, in a salon you will see how you want things to be and how you dont.

secondly its generally not a good idea to mix business and family/friends....rarely does it work....if you value your friendships id find staff elsewhere!

good luck in whatever you decide

Have looked in many salons and no work :( I'm gonna give it a few years working from home etc build clientel up, study various courses and see where it leads. Thank you xx

Try some unpaid work maybe for a week at different salons, just mornings or just evenings whatever you can afford to do and keep doing your treatments on the side... A free hand wouldn't go a miss maybe more of a chance of actually getting a job if your good and they like you.

You do need clients though otherwise you won't be making anything.

It's a lovely idea, I have thought of it too but you've got to think of it in the long run. Good luck though and let us know how you get on x

Latest posts

Back