Bin Envy ???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You could make your own yoghurt lol

Actually thats not bad idea! You can buy those kits can't you? It would definately be worth it in our yogurt munching household!:lol::lol:

LOL Zo Zo

We do even put the paper from tins, jars etc in the paper re-cycling bag :lol:

I will have a good look at the website you gave me for nappies, thank you :hug:

Unfortunately the supermarkets near us do not do recycling, ones further away do, but again it doesn't seem worth the car journey, saying that if we know that we are passing one on another journey to somewhere we do take plastic bottles with us. We don't normally have too many of them, but atm I need, note I say need not want Pepsi Max (must be a pregnancy thing, I don't normally even like it!!!) So we have a fair few bottles atm :lol:

I do agree with those of you that have said that we do all need to think about our habits and if they can be altered/changed then we need to make that change for our little ones futures. Including as has been said, switching off appliances, walking small journeys, energy efficient light bulbs ect......

Here we can re-cycle any cardboard in our green bin, cereal packets, washing powder boxes, the boxes frozen food comes in. The only cardboard you can't re-cycle is cardboard that has been touched by food.

We don't yet re-cycle food, but most of our waste goes to the guinea pig.

I'm sorry but I still don't believe it should be down to 'us' to change the planet...
Governments put all these sanctions in place, tell you what you can and can't do. Small bins, green bins, blue boxes etc. Weighing how much rubbish you throw away, put green out this week, black bin next week, blue box with papers on a tuesday every other week, white bag with box cartons in it on a thursday alternate weeks to the blue box. Make sure it doesn't go out before the allocated day or you risk being fined...oh and please all put your boxes/bags/bins at the end of a very long street because we don't want to have to make the 'refuse collectors' walk to each house...you can do all the dragging and lifting yourselves.

This is what my 80 odd year old grandparents have to do. If they don't they risk being fined. (where do the fines go? do they plant some more trees? )Is it just me or is this ridiculous? Do they also have to have a compost bin? Is this practical for everybody?

For those who are 'green'...do they walk everywhere? Use public transport? Never use a plane? For their 'beauty/nail/hair' business do they only use bio-degradable products? Non-chemical products? Environmentally friendly products? When they need new products do they drive to the store or get it delivered by a gas guzzling van? Has it been manufactured in the country you are in or has it been flown in on a cargo plane? Is the electricity you use from an eco-electric source? Do the clients come to you on foot or do they drive to you..or you to them? Do they plant trees to offset their carbon emissions from having their non essential beauty treatments?

You might think I am being ridiculous..and indeed I am exaggerating to a degree but where the hell do you draw the line?

Go back to basics...go back to how it was 50..60..70 years ago....install fireplaces with real fires to burn your rubbish...have corner shops to buy your groceries...use bicycles or walk...take picnics in the park and go on your annual holiday by tram or bus...or don't have a holiday. Women stay at home with the children while the men work in the local factory. Darn your socks...wear your clothes until they fall off your back...have one pair of shoes you wear until there is a hole in the sole ( :lol: poet ).

Until the governments and manufacturers do something about our excess waste...until such a time that it is cheaper to be eco-friendly than it is to not be....then I for one will continue to be a nuisance to this planet ( I do what I can ). I will not plant a tree for someone else to take one down somewhere else...or for my tree to be felled sometime in the future... I will not make my own yoghurt when it costs barely anything to buy ready-made yoghurt in plastic tubs... I will continue to fly back and forth between the UK and Spain, because lets face it... how else do I see my mum if I didn't?

Sign of the times...the world is an evolving place..it's dying out anyway....saying you can have a little bin instead of a big bin...is it REALLY going to make a difference?

As long as those who are 'environmentally friendly' enjoy what they do and feel they are making a difference then I applaud you and I truly admire you for your commitment and dedication. But until such time that it is both practical and cheaper for me to go 'green' then I will continue as I am and not feel guilty for it. :green:

xxxx

BTW...I still want to know if we are causing the weather extremes with our pollution... what was causing it 30 years ago when there was a heatwave...or flooding 150 years ago... heck there was even flooding for poor Noah and his Ark... excessive use of aerosols I suspect :lol: Or maybe the Governments are using typical weather patterns that evolve throughout lifetimes as an excuse to put some pressure on us.

xxx ( don't forget this is just my opinion... )

[
Originally Posted by nicky's nails
i too heard this on the news yesterday and was livid when i did, its on eof my biggest pet hates at the moment, we got the supposed fantastic new bin system 4 weeks ago, green bin one week, black bin the next as a family of five ,me working form home and a pet, as you can imagine the 2 bin bags that fit in the black bin wont cut it, w have blue bag for papers collected every week, but we purposly dont buy papers and mags much, we read the news online or watch sky news etc, and the green box for glass and cans, and if we wanna recycle the thing we use more of, plastic and cardboard we have to take it to local recycling centre oursleves , so you often end up sitting in car ruinning the air con, in a huge queue at the weekend while evry other tom **** and harry is doing the same, so much for helping the environment eh? all those extra cars trips must rally be helping

Why make a special trip? Lots of supermarkets and parks have recycling facilities - just put it in the car when you know you are going to be going that way

because my local supermarket does NOT have recycling facilities the one that does is right next to the tip, so i might as well go there as theres less of a queue , and i do not hav anywhere to store it , no utility or garage etc, so has to be got rid of as and when, also i use online ordering when i can, so dont always use supermarket once a week etc.

our bin is fitted wih a chip and they are weighing and recording our waste each week, and we will be getting charged from next year according to what we throw away (or so we've been told) now will this be diff for little old man who lives on his own and then diff for us 5.... NO you guessed it,exactly the same how, why wtf!!!!!! arrrggghhhh

ive requested another blue bag as ours got taken weeks ago, ive asked for food waste container, and im still waiting, we are now taking 4/5 bags every week to the tip as only two will fit in black bin, and if you squash them in or leave bin lid open slightly they wont empty them at all, the smell is awful soemtimes, and also we have not entrance to our garden except through the house, so we leave the binbags on our fornt drive, so lovely cats come and rip them open then you have to come and shovel it up etc arrghghgghghg, but we'd need 3 or 4 bins to keep everything in, but if we had plastic /cardboard bins like my mum does in liverpool, that would help immensly, we'd still have extra bags, but it would go a long way to help, i think when we move im gonna convert the utility room and have all those recylcing bins from ikea, and have one for everything, buy myself another jeep (just got rid of one, cos of the taxes and felt it was helping the environment) and start a weekly trip to tip myself, but at the moment its not possible, and hey what the f**k do i pay £120 a month in council tax for then???

I don't understand why you need a jeep to go to the tip? Please explain!

because ive just bought lovely new car and i aint putting rotting rubbish in the boot of my car , also the boots not big enough to put more than 2 small bing bags in, if i got a jeep again, i could just stack the recycling boxes straight in and empty them into tip (but as i said this wil have to wait until we move house)

Also, how long do you think it's going to be before you have to weigh and pay at the tip?

And seriously, local authorities provide much more than refuse collection.

well ours certainly dont, they are useless, local police station only open mon-fri 9-4 noone to speak to at weekends or evening, closed local kids A&E have to travel miles to another one , no one ever at the office's to spak to about anything, im sorry hun, maybe you have had better experiences , but i feel like i pay my council tax for nothing.

this is getting ridiculous, and although i can understand some of the comments about cutting down on buying food in plastic trays etc and use no packaged foods and buying bigger sized washing up liquid etc, this just isnt feasible for evryone, i dont have anywhere to store 5l bottles, and also our asda has done away with banaana in bags, tomatoes in plastic tubs etc, everything is loose and they have brown bags for them, but guess what, my weekly shopping had gone up by £4-5 so ive ditched asda and gone back to tescos, where at the moment i cans till buy stuff in tubs etc, now i dont use ready meals and such so im not using uneccesary packaging, but why should i have to pay more for unpackaged stuff? surely it should be bloody cheaper arrrhghghgghgghh

Wow, I am amazed and impressed. I was just saying to my bf last night that I don't think you can buy ANYTHING loose in our local Asda. This must be a pilot scheme or something. But I find it hard to believe unpackaged produce costs more, have you actually compared like for like?

yep small box of tomatoes used to cost me 55p or 65 p sometimes , bought same amount loose the other day cost me 83p 4 baking pots in plastic were anything from 70p to £1 , bought 4 loose and they cost me £1.15!!!! so yes i have compared , kids bananas were 99p for bag of 8 or 9, loose 6 of them cost me £1.09

right now im all wound up and angry again rofl im gonna go wake kids up, so we can go shopping oh what fun lalalalalalalal

great thread btw xxxxxxx

i wish i could be more positive about this, but you feel like all they do is take more and more off you, charge you more for doing this and you get less and less back for it, sorry if this seems negative, but sometimes you feel why should you bother , you know what i mean?

For those who are 'green'...do they walk everywhere? Use public transport? Never use a plane? For their 'beauty/nail/hair' business do they only use bio-degradable products? Non-chemical products? Environmentally friendly products? When they need new products do they drive to the store or get it delivered by a gas guzzling van? Has it been manufactured in the country you are in or has it been flown in on a cargo plane? Is the electricity you use from an eco-electric source? Do the clients come to you on foot or do they drive to you..or you to them? Do they plant trees to offset their carbon emissions from having their non essential beauty treatments?

You might think I am being ridiculous..and indeed I am exaggerating to a degree but where the hell do you draw the line?

Go back to basics...go back to how it was 50..60..70 years ago....install fireplaces with real fires to burn your rubbish...have corner shops to buy your groceries...use bicycles or walk...take picnics in the park and go on your annual holiday by tram or bus...or don't have a holiday. Women stay at home with the children while the men work in the local factory. Darn your socks...wear your clothes until they fall off your back...have one pair of shoes you wear until there is a hole in the sole ( :lol: poet ).

Until the governments and manufacturers do something about our excess waste...until such a time that it is cheaper to be eco-friendly than it is to not be....then I for one will continue to be a nuisance to this planet ( I do what I can ). I will not plant a tree for someone else to take one down somewhere else...or for my tree to be felled sometime in the future... I will not make my own yoghurt when it costs barely anything to buy ready-made yoghurt in plastic tubs... I will continue to fly back and forth between the UK and Spain, because lets face it... how else do I see my mum if I didn't?

Sign of the times...the world is an evolving place..it's dying out anyway....saying you can have a little bin instead of a big bin...is it REALLY going to make a difference?

As long as those who are 'environmentally friendly' enjoy what they do and feel they are making a difference then I applaud you and I truly admire you for your commitment and dedication. But until such time that it is both practical and cheaper for me to go 'green' then I will continue as I am and not feel guilty for it. :green:

xxxx

BTW...I still want to know if we are causing the weather extremes with our pollution... what was causing it 30 years ago when there was a heatwave...or flooding 150 years ago... heck there was even flooding for poor Noah and his Ark... excessive use of aerosols I suspect :lol: Or maybe the Governments are using typical weather patterns that evolve throughout lifetimes as an excuse to put some pressure on us.

xxx ( don't forget this is just my opinion... )

..and a great opinion at that! I love the way you are so passionate about it..:green:

For me, its purely because i see absolutely no reason not to do it.. Its easy and great for my garden to have a compost.. Its Easy to have a recycling bin/play box/arts and crafts bin in my laundry.. Its easier and alot less space taking to carry and re-use calico bags when shopping..
I dont give two twats what the Governments are doing.. On their heads i say.. who knows if we are creating Global Warming or if its two cows farting in a paddock thats doing it?? at the end of the day isnt it better to have done all you can then nothing at all?
What i am seeing is how bloody hard it is to get your bins out and how many you guys have over there.. sheesh.. seems the more bins you are doleing out the more refuse you are making!!
You know what.. I had a HUGE problem with this whole Live aid carbon free concert.. CARBON FREE?? psht!! but after i got off my soap box i figured what the hay.. if one person decideds to plant trees and think about there actions then maybe its a good thing after all.. ((and i got to see Dave in tight black jeans ::drools::))
Yes im a greenie.. with fab nails.. hairspray in my hair and a pallet of makeup to boot.. i love my hairdryer.. my comforts.. i couldnt live without 5 new pairs of shoes a year.. or a fancy frock that ((probably)) some poor kids had a hand in making.. WHY? cause im human!! a bloody FEMALE human.. BUT.. I see no reason not to do what i can to offset my lifestyle.. If i see rubbish i pick it up.. I plant trees along roadsides once a year with my kids.. I turn lights off, never buy bottled water,treat my environment with the utmost respect and i recycle eeverything humanly possible! Because i want my Kids, kids, kids ,..kids to have the same luxury as me!:rolleyes: The Planet isnt Dying of a terminal disease its being suffocated and abused.. its being murdered by the people it takes care of.. Its not my way to say.. blow it im letting it die!

I wouldn't say we are MURDERING our planet???? Far from it... it is continually dying out and will continue to do so whatever we do to try and stop it...give or take a thousand year or two. I actually would reverse the saying.

It is like I say... I totally applaud those people who do their best for the environment...however large or small a contribution that may be.

What I am trying to say and maybe not really doing... is that I don't think we as a consumer and the little person sat at the bottom of a really long ladder should be penalised by Governments and suchlike for something we have no real control of.
I don't want to be made guilty for not actually doing much or even fined or taxed for it.

xxx

This MAY work IF the local councils ACTUALLY come and empty the bins once a fortnight as they have said in rotation.....my mums haven't been emptied for 3 weeks nearly.
Oh.... and her compost bin has an ants nest in it and has to be set on fire...
Just off to microwave the kids ready meals now:)

This is a sore subject in our household, we are already having a nightmare because of the fourtnightly collections - we have 2 adults and 5 children living in our house at the moment.

We go to the local tip every weekend with the surplus rubbish, we recycle everything we can. Our bins our done on a friday, yet by Monday we still have rubbish piled up in our front garden. :rolleyes:

I think its disgusting that they are now wanting to give us smaller bins - how on earth are large families supposed to cope! I dread to think waht a state we would be in if we didnt have a car (as a lot of families round here dont).:mad::mad:

This is a sore subject in our household, we are already having a nightmare because of the fourtnightly collections - we have 2 adults and 5 children living in our house at the moment.

We go to the local tip every weekend with the surplus rubbish, we recycle everything we can. Our bins our done on a friday, yet by Monday we still have rubbish piled up in our front garden. :rolleyes:

I think its disgusting that they are now wanting to give us smaller bins - how on earth are large families supposed to cope! I dread to think waht a state we would be in if we didnt have a car (as a lot of families round here dont).:mad::mad:

thats like us, bins emptied evry second friday and by monday we've got a bag full, and as judy said not everywhere is even getting its supposed fortnightly collections its awful,
xx

why though? what are the benefits from fortnightly collections....? I truly cannot see any.

I too am a household of 5 children and 2 adults...( well 2 of my children are adults I guess ) and how on earth I would cope if I had to make do with fortnightly collections I would never know...

why is the UK so lacking behind Europe when it comes to this issue :rolleyes:

xxx

Ours are fortnightly as well,it's not a problem in the winter but as others have said in the summer we have the joy of fly city everytime we open the lid.:irked:I hate maggots too,if I saw one in my bin I would freak,seriously:cry:

We have weekly collections, and re-cycle everything we possibly can ... I think it would definitely become a serious health hazzard and problem if collections are reduced, as well as the size of the bins.

what made me laugh was a recycling expert saying in our local rag that to prevent maggots you should wrap all food waste in ...... NEWSPAPER !!!....are we not suppose to recycle that ????

ohhh and another meathod...was to store all waste food in a bag and then put in the freezer till the night before the bin men come...Mmmmm...how lovely...a freezer full of left over food scraps.

what made me laugh was a recycling expert saying in our local rag that to prevent maggots you should wrap all food waste in ...... NEWSPAPER !!!....are we not suppose to recycle that ????

ohhh and another meathod...was to store all waste food in a bag and then put in the freezer till the night before the bin men come...Mmmmm...how lovely...a freezer full of left over food scraps.
FFS,dont they think we have anything better to do??lol I mean..... so they are saying we should wrap our leftovers up,place them in the freezer for 2 weeks,cause in theory that is what we would need to do as we have 2 weekly cycles,I have no room in my freezer as it is without having 2 weeks of leftover food scraps.

Thank goodness I have 2 dogs who I would highly recommend for gobbling up those left overs.....Well the healthy for dog leftovers anyway:lol:

P.s I am going to get a compost heap,used to have a rabbit that was excellent for eating veggie peelings,but he died at the age of 10 and since then I have to dump the waste.

And NO WAY am I having a compost bin.
It's starting to feel like "the good life".
Maybe next they will suggest that all women give up their jobs and grow their own fruit and veg.
Maybe we all should live in a commune.

We got a composter that was supposed to be vermin proof to try and cut down on waste. After a summer (2years ago) of a rat infested garden, which I couldn't let the kids out in, I rather went off the idea.:eek:

LOL Zo Zo

We do even put the paper from tins, jars etc in the paper re-cycling bag :lol:

I will have a good look at the website you gave me for nappies, thank you :hug:

Unfortunately the supermarkets near us do not do recycling, ones further away do, but again it doesn't seem worth the car journey, saying that if we know that we are passing one on another journey to somewhere we do take plastic bottles with us. We don't normally have too many of them, but atm I need, note I say need not want Pepsi Max (must be a pregnancy thing, I don't normally even like it!!!) So we have a fair few bottles atm :lol:

I do agree with those of you that have said that we do all need to think about our habits and if they can be altered/changed then we need to make that change for our little ones futures. Including as has been said, switching off appliances, walking small journeys, energy efficient light bulbs ect......

I used washable nappies for my 3 kids (now 6, 9 and 11) and really didn't find it very difficult. It definitely saved me money and I didn't like the thought of our bagged up disposable nappies sitting on a dump for 100's of years. People did think I was a batty tree hugger at the time though.:)

My goodness the irony of this when I've just sat and watched the BBC News at 6.

They were showing just how much food (in it's packaging) that the large supermarkets throw away each day - it was shocking!!

And then the very next story showed the starving victims of the floods in India and how their Army couldn't get enough aid and food to them.:irked:

The powers that be around the world really need to start looking to big guys and stop focusing on us little fish, because really, the damage we do to the world is nothing in comparison o these multi-national companies.:mad:

My goodness the irony of this when I've just sat and watched the BBC News at 6.

They were showing just how much food (in it's packaging) that the large supermarkets throw away each day - it was shocking!!

And then the very next story showed the starving victims of the floods in India and how their Army couldn't get enough aid and food to them.:irked:

The powers that be around the world really need to start looking to big guys and stop focusing on us little fish, because really, the damage we do to the world is nothing in comparison o these multi-national companies.:mad:[/quote

EXACTLY

Well, we don't have weelie bins. We still need to use black bags which I suppose isn't that bad, but obviously contributes to plastic waste.

We are lucky that we still get weekly collections, but once we are in Bristol, the bins are only collected every second week and the bins they provide are TINY !!

They also work to the policy that if the bin doesn't shut, they won't empty it :eek:

The thing that makes me laugh (with frustration) is that everyone is hell bent on recycling, but Bristol Council won't take away paper or cardboard, you need to recycle that yourself !!

Now forgive me if I say, what the F*** is that about !! You want me to recycle, but you won't let me recycle my paper or cardboard. OK, so lets say I don't have a car, how do I get to the tip with my paper and cardboard... on the bus ?? If I do have car, the tip could be miles away, so I'm only contributing to the carbon footprint :grr: And as we all know, it's human nature to be "lazy" so a lot of people won't bother and just chuck it away in the normal waste.

BUT, Bristol Council is very keen on you to recycle your food waste. Brilliant, but they only provide you with a bin the size of a shoe box, which they only empty every two weeks. So not only isn't it big enough to keep everything, but it stinks and attracts maggots / rats etc.

I watched a programme a couple of months ago on how they do things in Norway and it was absolutely amazing ! Virtually everything is recycled but all the facilities are there and they are close. People get provided with adequate containers for their waste and the bins and recyling are collected every week.

I have no problem with recycling, but the councils NEED to provide the necessary equipment and infrastructure to make it a success.

I don't know who mentioned it earlier, but the fact that you are not allowed to wash your own bin and have to pay someone to do it is COMPLETELY laughable !! What the hell are these councils thinking !!??

Marlise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back