Bin Envy ???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
20 years ago this would have been unheard of, we would have had as many dustbins as we liked.

That's the whole reason the refuse collection situation is a disaster in this country, Zo Zo. 20 years ago everyone knew the landfill sites were becoming full and that there was only a finite amount of space for refuse, but nothing was done.

All this smacks of the government panicking about having nowhere to dump rubbish rather than being proactively environmentally friendly. Call me a cynic if you will.......too little too late, methinks.

What's the alternative? Seriously. I noticed in your journal you work for Defra (unless I'm getting confused, in which case, sorry!) ... do you have any inside info you can share!?:)

What's the alternative? Seriously. I noticed in your journal you work for Defra (unless I'm getting confused, in which case, sorry!) ... do you have any inside info you can share!?:)

Don't get me wrong, I recycle and do my bit. I was really just saying, don't buy in to this as councils caring about the environment. I find it interesting that geeks in different councils have different problems. Some have weekly collections, some fortnightly, some small bins, some just bags, etc. Are some landfills more full than others?????:rolleyes:

And yes hun, I do work for Defra, but not on the environmental side.:green:

To Zo Zo,

I fully take on board what you say... ( as for the boasting...not intended but never mind ).

Obviously we differ...you are affected by climate change.. I am affected by terrorism, mainly because I come from a town that was blown apart by terrorists, have been evacuated from an airport due to a terrorism scare ( in the days following the Glasgow airport fiasco ). When you are with your children then this affects you to a degree. Some other incidents I don't want to mention too.

So I totally understand your passion for climate change...for reducing non-recycable waste... I have listened and I have taken on board what you suggested ( amazingly I actually re-cycle more than I think...I use a large washing up liquid bottle as a watering can for example...:lol: ... there you go... a suggestion!!! Or am I just a tightwad for not buying a watering can? Either way I guess it helps )

All I ask is don't dismiss me because I feel...(for me)...that there are more important issues.

It is nice that we all are different...embrace it...I have :hug:

xxx

I think 20 years ago, we were more recycle savvy than we are now without knowing it......20 years ago milk was in bottles, supermarkets didnt package things like they do now, fish and chips was served in newspaper etc.......it was safe for kids to ride to school on bikes than being driven everywere.
Recycling is due to the over fill of land fill sites and not to save the planet...think of the machinery used to recycle.....carbon footprint...hellloooooo. so recycling doest have an affect on global warming etc, does it????
stop sending rockets to space...that will help more than we know to stop icebergs melting etc/
back to the thread......we dont have weelie bins yet but i have the green box for paper and glass bottles and tins......not enough because the majority of waste is plastic...bottles milk containers etc.....so it actually doesnt make a big difference to the amount of bin bags i have a week.....and fortnightly collections...surely that causes quewes at the tip of a sunday.....i do my bit i am aware of waste etc..and i recycle as much as i can...but the goverment dont make it easy do they.......

I think 20 years ago, we were more recycle savvy than we are now without knowing it......20 years ago milk was in bottles, supermarkets didnt package things like they do now, fish and chips was served in newspaper etc.......it was safe for kids to ride to school on bikes than being driven everywere.
Recycling is due to the over fill of land fill sites and not to save the planet...think of the machinery used to recycle.....carbon footprint...hellloooooo. so recycling doest have an affect on global warming etc, does it????

Exactly my point!:hug:

To coin a phrase... hellloooooo

Think about what you've said...ALL manufacturing has a carbon footprint... if we don't manufacture with recycled materials, all the recycleable material has to go to LANDFILL

So what is it about LANDFILL that you feel is so acceptable!????

To coin a phrase... hellloooooo

Think about what you've said...ALL manufacturing has a carbon footprint... if we don't manufacture with recycled materials, all the recycleable material has to go to LANDFILL

So what is it about LANDFILL that you feel is so acceptable!????

please quote were i said landfill was acceptable................

Has anyone mentioned Peak Oil yet as this is more likely to have a greater impact on all of us than recycling, environment, terrorists.
If you don't know what Peak Oil is then have a read of this site
Peak Oil: Life After the Oil Crash
it is quite sobering, and give a good reason as to why the USA and UK are in Iraq.
The North Sea ran out of Oil and Gas quicker than expected.

please quote were i said landfill was acceptable................

I'm so sorry if I misunderstood you Joanne. I am obviously a bit dense, and I wonder if you would be kind enough to do me a favour and explain your point again, in a way that I might be able to understand it. Particularly about recycling and it's effect on global warming. Thank you so much.

This is the bit I need help with. Thank you.

I'm so sorry if I misunderstood you Joanne. I am obviously a bit dense, and I wonder if you would be kind enough to do me a favour and explain your point again, in a way that I might be able to understand it. Particularly about recycling and it's effect on global warming. Thank you so much.

pmsl......love the sarcasm
my point was merely looking at 2 sides of a coin...recycling is to reduce landfill which over the past few decades has become a great problem, my point about machinery that actually recycles our recycling surely isn't "green" in itself....that was a point to the peeps who regard recycling merely as a cure for global warming and that we need to do our bit to save the planet...that's it, no great debate just voicing a thought...not to start an argument......i am actually aiming my thoughts at the people...who are the chiefs (politic makers etc).......not a problem in that is there zo zo i am entitled to my opinion just like you :hug:

I think the main problem is that in general people use too much oil (it isn't just used in cars you know). Unfortunately there just aren't any alternatives ot the moment.

i understand what your saying Jo....its like they are trying to solve one problem but by doing this are creating another.

i understand what your saying Jo....its like they are trying to solve one problem but by doing this are creating another.

exactly mate...:hug:

pmsl......love the sarcasm
my point was merely looking at 2 sides of a coin...recycling is to reduce landfill which over the past few decades has become a great problem, my point about machinery that actually recycles our recycling surely isn't "green" in itself....that was a point to the peeps who regard recycling merely as a cure for global warming and that we need to do our bit to save the planet...that's it, no great debate just voicing a thought...not to start an argument......i am actually aiming my thoughts at the people...who are the chiefs (politic makers etc).......not a problem in that is there zo zo i am entitled to my opinion just like you :hug:

Yes hun you are perfectly entitled.:hug:

Tbh I have been losing energy for this thread, there is only so much I can do for my cause! So I am going to call it a day, but safe in the knowledge that some people have listened, lol, one geek is even getting a composter, I'm so chuffed about that :lol:

I don't think there will ever be a perfect solution to the problem.

But perhaps if we all try to at least do something, maybe one day we can make a difference.

I agree that the Government perhaps needs to go have a rethink about how they are handling the situation and perhaps seek advice from other countries who have managed to implement recycling successfully.

But it's also a change of mind set for us. It's like the smoking ban, I'm still getting used to it and it feels a bit weird going to a pub and not being able to smoke or to actually breath clean air.

But just think, once our kids are grown up and 10 - 15 years from now, not being able to smoke in a public place will be normality for them and totally acceptable. They might even talk and say things like "can you believe people were actually allowed to smoke in public places years ago ..."

The same works for recycling, once we've gotten our heads around it and we start teaching our kids to do it now, it will become the norm and the future generations will do it without thinking.

Marlise

Yes hun you are perfectly entitled.:hug:

Tbh I have been losing energy for this thread, there is only so much I can do for my cause! So I am going to call it a day, but safe in the knowledge that some people have listened, lol, one geek is even getting a composter, I'm so chuffed about that :lol:
there is only so much any body can do...at the end of the day it takes more than a few recycled bins to sort out the planets problems.
you are entitled to your opinion hun, but we all are allowed to do so as well, even when we disagree with each others point of view.....thats the great thing about a debate......i think peeps and myself have a problem with people preeching to us what is right and wrong thats all and that we should all be thinking and doing the same as them. let us make up our own minds and have our own opinions.:hug:

I think this topic has now been discussed to death - we all want to do our bit for the environment where we can but when topics degenerate into personal insults, the padlock has to come out.

Chill pills needed all round just now I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back