Bio gel vs UV gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makeup101

Reaction score
what is the difference between the 2? And when purchasing how do you know which is which?
I am starting my nail technician certification in a month, and it does not cover nail extensions (non of the professional schools do, it’s a 2-3 day seminar.) so I want to educate myself before the class starts.

Bio gel is simply a misleading marketing term - there is noting biological about it. Same situation as Eco gel. It's identical to UV gel.

Bio gel is simply a misleading marketing term - there is noting biological about it. Same situation as Eco gel. It's identical to UV gel.
I understand that. They’re all chemical. But when buying them, is there any difference at all? Because when I used to go to any salon they said bio is better. Does bio cure in both uv and led light, vs uv only cures in uv light?

Lots of companies use the word Bio or Eco to describe their gels. Some of them may cure with traditional UV lamps, and some may cure with LED-UV lamps. Without knowing which companies products you are referring to, I can't say. But at the end, they are all UV gels and there is benefit because Bio is just a marketing term to fool people. Unfortunately, it works - many people don't ask the question like you and they believe what these unprofessional brands tell them.

Other marketing mistruths include saying that vitamins or calcium in the gel / gel polish has a beneficial effect - their is no scientific evidence for this.

My advice is that you join the Doug Schoon Brain group on Facebook and buy some of his Face to Face with Doug Schoon books. They you will have the knowledge to know what is true or not.

Also, these gels could be soak-off or not. Again without knowing which brand you are referring to it is not possible to say.

Some people claim that soak-off gels are better because "they don't damage the nails". Again this is not correct. The fact is that nail products and tools do not damage nails, but often Nail Technicians who are not properly trained do damage the nails. There is a higher risk of damage with soak-off gels because many NT do not soak-off long enough. If a company recommends a 10 minute soak off time, this is the MINIMUM. As a result they get impatient and scrape the remaining gel or gel polish off the nail - by now the nail has been soaking for 10 to 15 minutes in remover liquid and has absorbed some of this, making the surface much weaker (like damp newspaper). Then it is much easier to cause damage.

I personally don't see any point to removing gel by soaking off down to the natural nail. Often you are simply removing a good layer of gel that protects the natural nail from damage. Better to file and keep that layer of protection. But there is a whole industry geared to selling the myth that soak-off gels are better - without any conclusive evidence.

Lots of companies use the word Bio or Eco to describe their gels. Some of them may cure with traditional UV lamps, and some may cure with LED-UV lamps. Without knowing which companies products you are referring to, I can't say. But at the end, they are all UV gels and there is benefit because Bio is just a marketing term to fool people. Unfortunately, it works - many people don't ask the question like you and they believe what these unprofessional brands tell them.

Other marketing mistruths include saying that vitamins or calcium in the gel / gel polish has a beneficial effect - their is no scientific evidence for this.

My advice is that you join the Doug Schoon Brain group on Facebook and buy some of his Face to Face with Doug Schoon books. They you will have the knowledge to know what is true or not.
Thank you this has been helpful. My guess is that the uv

thank you this has been helpful. I currently use IBD clear builder uv/led. But I just bought young nails (base, gloss and mani - q.) don’t have my nail technician certification (student starting in 2 weeks) yet so don’t have access to all products/sites that require a license/certificate.

Also, these gels could be soak-off or not. Again without knowing which brand you are referring to it is not possible to say.

Some people claim that soak-off gels are better because "they don't damage the nails". Again this is not correct. The fact is that nail products and tools do not damage nails, but often Nail Technicians who are not properly trained do damage the nails. There is a higher risk of damage with soak-off gels because many NT do not soak-off long enough. If a company recommends a 10 minute soak off time, this is the MINIMUM. As a result they get impatient and scrape the remaining gel or gel polish off the nail - by now the nail has been soaking for 10 to 15 minutes in remover liquid and has absorbed some of this, making the surface much weaker (like damp newspaper). Then it is much easier to cause damage.

I personally don't see any point to removing gel by soaking off down to the natural nail. Often you are simply removing a good layer of gel that protects the natural nail from damage. Better to file and keep that layer of protection. But there is a whole industry geared to selling the myth that soak-off gels are better - without any conclusive evidence.
Any personal recommendations for gel brands?

I'm horribly biased - we developed our own :). My advice, chose a brand that also provides great education. It is simply not possible to chose or develop a good gel unless you have expert NT and Educators in the company who give directions to the chemist and test the product in all situations. To get maximum benefit from products, it is important to have a good relationship with a supplier who can teach their application techniques. Gels and acrylics are not like a car, that once you get a driving licence they are all the same to drive.

Latest posts

Back