Bio Sculpture

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

suzie01895

Reaction score
I went to the NEC yesterday, fantastic time (especially watching the young guy in the shorts being spray tanned... anyway, back to the point. I purchased a bio sculpture kit along with the training day. Does anyone else use this system? my training is in 2 weeks - has anyone else done this and is the assessment hard? - any advice would be great!

My friend did the Bio Sculpture course just over a year ago. From what I can gather, the training wasn't too traumatic because I think they expect you to already have some kind of nail tech training, I think it's more of a conversion course. Word of warning, although I think the product is great for natural nail overlays, I didn't rate it very well for extensions (she used me as her guinea pig), although I am used to wearing L&P and am pretty heavy on my nails, so it might just be that I wasn't suited to it. Also, did you check out the prices of their products? They are quite expensive compared to say 'Reflex' gel (which, if memory serves me correctly is another soak-offable gel which I thought compared favourably to Bio Sculpture). Also, before buying a heap of coloured gels, make sure your clients will go for them, my friend bought loads (and a lot of their 'retail' kits too) and not one person has paid to have them.

Not trying to put you off here. It's a great natural nail product and I suppose if you kept the extensions at a reasonable length, it would probably be just fine. Just make sure to buy with caution when you go to the training! ;)

Jackie
www.LibertyNailDesign.com

I have used Bio-Sculpture for over a year now for Natural Nail Overlays only, was not impressed for using as enhancements. I have to say my clients were happy with it. I only purchased the clear and french white, didn't have a call for the coloured gels on my mobile business but I have to say the price for the gel pots are expensive and yep the p&p as well, I don't buy in bulk as I only work mobile part time so postage costs big issue with me! I have now been converted to the Akzentz "Options" soak off gel, new product, I currently use the standard Akzentz gel products for my gel customers and find it great. It isn't rubbery like Bio Sculpture and is really shiny and have also been advised it doesn't yelow the same as Bio and only time will tell on that one but Bio does yellow after a while, they will be bringing out a range of colours in the future and the prices are excellent. Excellent customer service from Karen at Nails Plus Beauty and guess what none of the expensive postage costs,a dream to do business with. You may find the gel works for you but it just isn't for me anymore. Goodluck with your training day.
Jen

I used bio sculpture for years thinking it was the best available but I have since been introduced to many other brands. The problem I found with bio is that it is very much a paint on application - which of course is easy but you just can't build the product to create the perfect arches etc like you can with other gel products.

Jadey :)

HI, just thought I'd put my two penneth in!
We use Biosculpture in the Salon I work at and find it a lovely product to use. Can get fantastic french look which is really popular. The coloured gels look great and we have had no problems with using over tips (although I've read many have! maybe we've been lucky!)
The training day was fine and they teach you to sculpt with it too which is helpful. The assessment was easy peasy so don't worry about that.
The clients seem really pleased and yes it is more expensive but we are finding that they would rather pay a bit more for a product that actually is kind to the nail and encourages growth, especially after all the hype about MMA etc. We were a bit doubtful about which Gel to put in the Salon but have no regrets putting Bio in. (Just be careful - they love to extension sell, but you don't need half of it!!)
Good luck and Njoy
Allison ;-)

thanks for that, I will let you know how the training goes!

alib said:
HI, just thought I'd put my two penneth in!

The clients seem really pleased and yes it is more expensive but we are finding that they would rather pay a bit more for a product that actually is kind to the nail and encourages growth, ;-)

In what way would biosculpture be better than any other (less expensive) colour gel range?? I never got to the bottom of this. It seemed that it was just clever use of words for marketing purposes - can anyone enlighten me?

Any system, is as kind to the nails as you make it............
Good training to can make or brake a system........
You can have a brill system, but if you dont know it should be worked correctly, to it's full advantage, it becomes an ok system.........

And that includes the preperation of the nail, before hand..........
Now if you take any system but prep the nail in a rough manner..........then even Bio Gel would become a nail unfriendly system.............

All nail systems are Acrylic based..............it's the Techncian that makes it a good, or even great system........
After cuticle work and sanitisation...........
The nail plate should be only de-shined.............1200 grid over the nail once in the direction of nail growth will be enough to prep the nail..........

This goes for any system, exept MMA monomer L&P system, MMA doesn't actualy like Mr. Keratin and will not adhere unless you make Mr. Keratins coat look like velcro....then it sticks..............hence the thin and flimsy nails once MMA L&P is removed.............
Gel is not affected by the MMA issue as you dont use the MMA monomer to polymerize Gel but the UV light does this.............
Nor are EC Resin based systems the activator spray or brush on activator, will cure this...............
Just a thought ....but then I have many....lol

ella said:
In what way would biosculpture be better than any other (less expensive) colour gel range?? I never got to the bottom of this. It seemed that it was just clever use of words for marketing purposes - can anyone enlighten me?
Well I know it's probably a marketing thing but they do state that the gel has all sorts of proteins and yummy things that are supposed to encourage nail growth, I don't have one of their leaflets to hand so I can't qoute, but that's how they market it to the clients and hey they like to believe it!!
I don't know about the other gels as I've never used them but like Ruth said all systems should be kind to the nail as long as we use them right!
Who knows what to believe, you can only go on what your told!
Allison ;-)

alib said:
Well I know it's probably a marketing thing but they do state that the gel has all sorts of proteins and yummy things that are supposed to encourage nail growth,

No ones nail growth is affected by yummy things or proteins in products ... nails are non-living!!

alib said:
all systems should be kind to the nail as long as we use them right!
Who knows what to believe, you can only go on what your told!
Allison

You can only go by what you are told if you are given factual information. This is why it is so important to continue with your education in nails so you can make intelligent informed decisions based on factual information.

HIYA

We use biosculpture in our salon and the clients love it. We mainly use it for natural overlays and french is the most polular although colour is becoming more so recently we have built up to about 30 colours now and we also mix our own in empty pots.
If you have any problems with tip extensions strenghten them with silk. It isnt the strongest system for hardwearing extensions. But for clients that would like to start with tips and progress to an overlay it is fine.

Where I live, Bio Sculpture is promoted as "seaweed gel". And I've heard people (clients) "rave" about this seaweed gel. I just look at them and ask them what they think is good about seaweed. They all say they've been told it's good for your nails.

When I think of "Creative" I think of quality, ease of use, beautiful enhancements. When I think of "Bio Sculpture" I think yellowing and expensive (certainly not "yummy"). I think of a slick, aggressive marketing and sales campaign aimed at nail techs who haven't done their homework.

If you are looking for a system for natural nail overlays and you can afford to buy Bio Sculpture and charge your clients accordingly then maybe this is the system for you. I guess I am just jaded; I don't buy into the hype, mostly because I keep hearing the same stories about it all over the world.

Laura

well, this thread has had me up & down like a yo-yo emotion wise LOL. I too bought my Bio starter kit at the NEC so have followed the comments in here closely.

I chose to get Bio based on the fact that I wore it for 3 years back when I was a barmaid in a sleeping little village pub, I did not want to look like the stereotypical sleepy village wife so I had the most enormous & loud nails I could. I did start out with tips & overlay but eventually grew them out to just overlays, they were strong & stood up to all the beatings they took, even changing barrels. I only ever broke 2, one I accidentally hit with a hammer while building a radiator cover & one I snapped off when a suitcase shot out of my hand & took my nail tip with it, so can't blame the product for either of them. I never found that mine yellowed but I did follow my aftercare instuctions and always wore the clear coat as a base before I used nail polish.

The comment in here that a good apex/C curve cannot be built with Bio did worry me, so being as my kit was sat there (my training isn't for another 10 days yet) I just had to have a fiddle. Using my number 1 guinea pig (my partner Paul, bless him) I had a go. Now, he has nice nails with a good size nail bed, the problem is the shape, they look like a nice curve with the top pushed down if u can imagine it, the middle section of each nail plate is flat then it curves away nicely to the side walls (sort of like the shape of the big sleeping policeman speed bumps ). The outcome wasn't brilliant being a first attempt but with the video & training booklet to hand, I did manage to build a curve & apex, it wouldn't have won any prizes but it did look more or less the correct shape.

I don't dispute that it is an expensive system compared to some but there are people out there who want Bio on thier nails .......... I was one of them. I knew the cost implications long before I bought the kit but I was still drawn to it from my own experience of it.
A friend of mine who has been through training with me commented that in her area people can go to someones house & get acrylics done for £10-£15 so how could she compete with that if she did Bio, my answer was that I'm mobile I won't be working in areas where people look for "cheap" nails, I'll promote myself to people in areas who can afford the level of service I'm going to give. There is a market for it it just has to be found.

Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back