bit of advice on renting space

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exquisite Touch

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of opening a new salon. It's only a quite small affair which intially will be only myself working there. I have a friend who wishes to use the salon on the days that i dont wish to work, i would like to know how much you feel would be a fair rent to ask for, taking into consideration the following

I have fully equiped the salon with nail stations, beauty beds and spray tan equipment etc

I will be providing all products (acrylics gel etc)

She would basically just need to bring herself and work (on self employed basis)

I would normally think down the percentage route but as i won't be there on the days she is working i'd have no way of verifying how much she had take, so really the only way I could think of is a fixed daily amount ......but how much ???

Any advice would be appreciated

thank you

Debs
:lol:

What treatments will she be doing while you are not there?

I believe normal daily rates are between £15 and £30 depending on the area you are in.

Forgot to add - if you are providing all the products then is she technically employed by you??!!?!?!?!?!?!?

Personally I'd have her use her own products, because you dont how much she will use or possibly contaminate/damage.
Then charge a daily rent and she does her own advertising.

Or... she uses your stuff and you pay her a percentage of every treatment she does and that way you have covered your expenses and then you advertise for her.

thats a difficult one, i would say that you either need to employ her or ask her to use her own items, also, is she going to be doing the same treatments as you if, you're both self employed there could well be alot of confusion for the clients as to who they book in with x

If she is wanting to use your entire salon on the days you aren't there, along with the stock, etc, I would say you would be better off employing her.

I don't think I'd want someone running the salon as their own business on my days off. Without having proof of what services and how many she will be providing, I would rather miss this deal out.

You could employ someone to assist you and run the salon on the days you aren't there.

This is a difficult one as I am in a similar position....need someone to be there when you're not, there's only so many hours in the day, kids etc......but you can't afford an employee just now until you have built up a big enough client base for her.....we don't want to loose money....you need your shop to be open as you don't want to miss out on phone calls, walk ins etc....

I have a technician who works on a 50/50 commission basis, I provide the products, she is self employed...OEY, is that right if I provide the products she is actually employed by me...how does that work?

Also you can check you appointment book for treatments she is doing, do you have a till and card machine where you will be able to check what money is going through?

Trust and professionalism is a big issue and I have found it really difficult to find the 'right' people.

Good luck.

I have a technician who works on a 50/50 commission basis, I provide the products, she is self employed...OEY, is that right if I provide the products she is actually employed by me...how does that work?

Trust and professionalism is a big issue and I have found it really difficult to find the 'right' people.

Good luck.

HI Cathie

The problem where you supply the products is convincing the inland revenue of this fact.

I attach a Inland Revenue guide that discusses this issue. Pay particular attention to page 6 where it discusses where you need to answer yes to all the questions to be classed a self employed. One question asks about providing equipment to do your job. If you are providing these then the person would have to answer no to this question, which then puts in doubt their status as employed or self employed.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/ir56.pdf

I agree that it would be very difficult to monitor what treatments are acutally done, cause how can you prove it if a client pays by cash.

Dont think you will ever know what is the right decision, but if you dont give it a go then you will have to close that day, so you will definately get no business.

Let me know if you want any more help.

x x x

Latest posts

Back