Bit of advice re Red highlights pls :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notsodumbblonde

Reaction score
Hi there!

I am doing some Full head foil highlights on a client. She has an existing base shade of 5 (with tint) and would like a full head tint of dark brown (or slightly darker) with full head foils of very vibrant red.
Just wondered the best way to go about this as don't want the pre-lightner to be on the foiled parts too long.... Or would Maji contrast lift and deposit on previously tinted hair? x

Last edited:
Hi there!

I am doing some Full head foil highlights on a client. She has an existing base shade of 5 (with tint) and would like a full head tint of dark brown (or slightly darker) with full head foils of very vibrant red.
Just wondered the best way to go about this as don't want the pre-lightner to be on the foiled parts too long.... Or would Maji contrast lift and deposit on previously tinted hair? x

Hi ,this is a big job especially on longer thicker hair
I agree you cant leave the lightener on to go past the dark orange stage or it will go pink when the red pure tone is added,

plus you cant leave maji contrast on too long either,
so I can see your dilemma of doing all those foils and a tint/semi in between , your timing may not work out as you want ,
plus the tint/semi will have to be evened out before using the Maji contrast

The mental stress
and worrying is not good for your health
so dont put your self in that position :hug:

Why dont you suggest that for the best results it will need to be done do it in two seperate stages.

Ask her to come in for her dark semi / tint to even out the colour this week,
and the red lights the next week , (especially if she wants the red foils all over)
then you could do the maji contrast red foils / cap without worrying about over processing, colour merging and seepage ect ect

or
you could do a dark semi/ quasi demi all over , then dry it off
then put a cap on and pull very fine strands of hair all over then you could put the maji contrast on it and do it this way,

I think the maji contrast works far better on an evened out darker tinted base,

you will only need to use 6% developer with Maji contrast as it has all the lifting properties already added

I hope you dont mind me saying I really love that Red shade in Maji contrast it looks like Dorothys Ruby red slippers :) add that to dark hair and it looks really fab

but do remember when your'e using this beautuful red shade
you really dont need much of it in the hair
as it is very dramatic
and if the red peices are not placed in nice and finely
it could look very loud and stripey

Ps dont forget to tell your client to use a dark pillow slip
as the red has so much pigment in it ,
it will rub onto the pillow slip at first ,

Ps I always keep in some red crazy colour in stock in too
or fudge or any pure pigment red semis
just in case the client needs to boost the red between root touch ups
It can be put all over
or just placed where you want it on pre washed towel dried hair,

Hope you dont mind all the detail as I always think some other hairdressers
may also be interested :)

Thankyou!! I think I may do the Semi/Quasi separately and then dry it off! Thanks for the advice..Sometimes it just helps to get someone elses opinion on things! I don't know why but I'm a bit crap in the 'Red' area of hair colouring! x

would have to agree to use the maji as the red comes out nice and vibrant and in one go and also agree to do it in two parts so the red is nice and even, overwise your'l get a root glow, espeically if there's signs of grey/white.

Id be more inclined for at least 9% to make sure its nice and vibrant though rather then 6%, i understand it has the prelifting in it, but you need to make sure you get bright enough on a darker base:)

if the hair is fine and faded it may lift up enough with a hi- lift red , a contrast shade . if theres lots of build up then there isnt a lot you can do short of using a mild bleach i foils ,tinting around it then putting a semi on top.Has the client any white?

would have to agree to use the maji as the red comes out nice and vibrant and in one go and also agree to do it in two parts so the red is nice and even, overwise your'l get a root glow, espeically if there's signs of grey/white.

Id be more inclined for at least 9% to make sure its nice and vibrant though rather then 6%, i understand it has the prelifting in it, but you need to make sure you get bright enough on a darker base:)

Hi, Ive never had to use a stronger developer with the maji contrast,
as the 6% has always done the job even on very dark tinted hair ,:)

but I suppose it may be best to do a some test pieces after the semi has been done to see what strength is best then ,

I was just thinking that 9% with maji contrast may go a bit lighter on the root area than on the ends ,
as the roots wont have much build up on them and will lift quicker,

perhaps in this case the developer could be staggered ,

Definitaley think plenty of test peices are the way forward
I should have put that in my first post but I forgot lol, :hug:,

i use 12% with the contrast on my mum as i colour hers to a base of 2/3, as long as the length you are colouring is even i dont think its ever a problem,

I used 12% with the copper one satuday on a client with a base of 5 as she wasnt to sure the test piece with 9% was bright enough, it came out lovely

I thinks its own judgement to, the darker the level the more id be inclined to go with the higher % but u are right it does work good with 6 % to :)

Working with Maji contrast red, we have had better luck using the 2 step process- going all over dark, then going back to do the red. We;ve experimented and just tried it over wet color, but still had banding.

Do make sure that you warn the client about the fade or rub, and that they are using a color support shampoo- Artec (by L'Oreal) makes a red shampoo that really keeps the reds vibrant and supports them with out fading.

The colour turned out fab!! I can't thank you enough for your help and advice! I asked a collegue too and she said that maji contrast would be good!
I only did some randomly placed slices along the parting and some through the sweeping fringe with the maji contrast and then a semi of 3/0 over the rest! I should have taken a piccie! Thanks peeps xxxx

if you use wella magma colours you can pre apply your base then work your foils in after..

or if you are nice and quick with your aplication you can use maji contrast and then apply your base between so it all develops together.

its not really that difficult a job as long as you work quickly and expertly.

hope this helps x

The colour turned out fab!! I can't thank you enough for your help and advice! I asked a collegue too and she said that maji contrast would be good!
I only did some randomly placed slices along the parting and some through the sweeping fringe with the maji contrast and then a semi of 3/0 over the rest! I should have taken a piccie! Thanks peeps xxxx

Sounds really nice would have loved to see some photos,

I am really glad that you didnt have to do the whole head with loads of red foils after all ,
as just a few of the red maji conrtast goes a long vibrant way ,

sounds like you did some really nice placement work ,
I love it when the red plays peek a boo through the fringe area :hug:

Latest posts

Back