Bit of Trouble

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanessaB

Reaction score
Well Ive been having a bit of trouble just recently and Im scratching my head to puzzle it out and thought I would ask you guys!

I always try to make sure that every treatment that I carry out is of a high standard but while some people have no trouble with their nails at all with no lifting etc, some break two or three or they lift away quite badly!

I try to be as thorough as possible with my prep so what am I doing wrong?

Also dont seem to be making any progress with cutting my timings down. Its still taking 2 hours for a full set and rebalance although I know I keep my overlay thin?!

I had an extra 3 hours one to one in Jan and my tutor said my nails were very good but now I am having real doubts and dont want to lose customers or get a reputation as a bad tech.

Am I going mad or am I just not very good??? :rolleyes:

I dont think you are going mad nor do I think that you are a bad technician, there is very few technician out there had never had a lifting problem (I said very few) I used to get product on the cuticle area which is why I had a lifting problem, make sure you are not doing the same.

It was a good idea that you had a one to one.

sorry I could not be of more help

I think as techs we look to blame ourselves if our clients are having problems. This may be more likely the case if ALL your clients were having problems.

It is possible that the clients with breakages are actually causing the breakages themselves.

Do you charge for breakages - I used to include 3 repairs with rebalances and a couple of clients regularly came in with 3 nails missing - now I include only 2 and they never come in with more than 2 off LOL - some people almost see it as their right to nibble at their nails if they get them repaired for free.

If you are sure that you are doing everything possible for your clients then don't be too hard on yourself. Analyse these clients losses - is it always the same fingers with problems - what do they do with these fingers - are the nails too long - one of my ladies always puts pressure on her ring and middle fingers on one hand when she is opening jars - we make these nails slightly shorter than the others for this reason.

Hope this helps a bit.

VanessaB said:
I always try to make sure that every treatment that I carry out is of a high standard but while some people have no trouble with their nails at all with no lifting etc, some break two or three or they lift away quite badly!

Also dont seem to be making any progress with cutting my timings down. Its still taking 2 hours for a full set and rebalance although I know I keep my overlay thin?!

Sounds to me like you are very good!!

Everyone has the odd client who has a lifting probelm. This is one reason why having a choice of systems is good as not everything suits every client.

Stop putting the blame solely on your own shoulders for this. If lifting does not occur in the first 2-3 days (DEFINITELY THE TECHS FAULT), then the cause is usually going too long between rebalances or client putting too much presure on a too long or out-of-balance nail enhancement.

As to time .. I'm afraid you now have to start pushing yourself to go faster. If your are constantly wiping/brushing and checking your work this is a terrible time waster. Every time you put down one implement and pick up another you are wasting time. Begin to trust how you perform and lay down your product and just get on with it. Pretend you have another client in an hour and a half and be ready for that client. Let the client do the talking and you do the work. If I could see you work I could tell you what you could be doing differently but I can't so hope some of the suggestions have helped.

Hi ,
Dont lose faith & never give up.!!
Since I started using cuticle remover instead of cuticle eraser I have had much better results! Also ensure your Koala/Kanga dont need to be replaced, I find them much more effective when new, then scrub the nail plate with scrubfresh very thoroughly ensuring you reach down the sidewalls & cuticle area. Only a few of my clients require prep boosters for oily nail plates. In this case I would apply nail fresh, then scrubfresh & finally use a non acid primer. (with Retention+)
As long as you are doing the above & leaving a tiny free margin,then I think you will conqueur the lifting !!!!
Hope this helps !!

:)

I used to have a big problem with time keeping. I find that I can't talk and work at the same time. I always try and be very pleasant with my customers and try to set them on a subject they like to tell you about. I do find that some quite like to just sit and listen to the music.

I know the lifting problem can be really anoying but do try and persist I still have a few bad lifters but some hav gone to other techs and lift even worse so then hav come back to me. I hav some clients that never lift so I guess we can't take it too personally!

HI

i think youve had some good advice already and clients can stretch the truth slightly, if they are having regular breaks or pingers and you replace them free then ask them to bring in their "pingers" so you can see exactly how it came off. You will find they have far less pinging off then as you will be able to see if its been nibbled!!
Maybe you could try a different liquid eg the solar liquid as opposed to the retention +?
or a different system ie: gel or fabric??

Hi Vanessa

Have you looked at the tutorials by the Geek ? There's a really good one on prep, I found it really helped me when I was getting alot of lifting, I still get a bit of lifting now, not half as much as I used to, though !

With regard to your time keeping problem, I'm in the same boat as you ! I've been advised to practice, practice, practice ! Good time keeping will come with time (I hope !!!) The way I look at it at the moment is, it's better to take your time and feel satisfied that you've done a really good job, than to just whack the nails on, cut corners and know afterwards that you could have done better, also you'll be left wonering how long until they all fall off or lift !!!

Hope this helps

Thanx Sassy x

My little bit of advice to try and prevent lifting is as follows: :idea:

Sanitise each nail then buff and to ensure that you reach all corners and edges, you may need to use a fine file. If nails are oily and this could be why lifting, just ensure you sanitise each nail individually before you apply product. This has helped me heaps, also get your self a day light lamp. Incredible for ensuring the product doesnt go onto the skin at all, as we all know this is a killer.

Keep up the good work, and hey, my full sets take approx 2 hours and then polish on top, however, you are only as good as your last set, and so long as your client is happy then its no bother is it!

Gina :biggrin:

Thank you so much for all your excellent advice!

It always helps to hear an objective view!

I also loved your advice re timings Geeg and will use them on my next client - maybe I do chat a fair bit! :o

I will now try all your techniques and see how I get on.

Thank you so much again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back