Bit upset/offended

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouBaby

Reaction score
Here Goes!
I've been doing this lady's hair about 5/6 years, and always has or goes back to the same, blonde foils half head pre lightener & 10 vol, some sort of low light around a base 8 and roots in between 6.3 / 6G. ( client is 70% dark and light grey mixed)

Her hairs in okay condition, around the front always is slightly dry and can snap on ends, i know the lightener doesn't help this but I only touch up the roots. But this lady is a straitner lover and wears her hair up alot.
Any way, she went abroad and when she came back her hair was so so dry, much worse than I'd ever seen her hair.
I did tell her it's much worse than id ever seen it, and cut as much off as I could with out making it short ( about half inch) the underneath isn't bad at all.
Anyway I persuaded her to buy some shampoo & conditioner ( dumb blonde, as can use conditioner as a treatment and reasonably priced to the Joico k pak ❤) and explained yet again how important heat protection is!
Seen her once since and is still pretty **** tbh.

Anyway last week I couldn't fit her in for a blow dry, so she went somewhere else. The stylist has told her her hair is so knackerd she needs it all cutting off, her hairdresser has caused all the damage from all the bleaching and basically just slagged me off big time and told her its nothing to do with straiteners. To the point this client is now really upset and thinks I've ruined her hair. I'm glad she told me what's been said and she's coming in to see me on weds for a treatment and a trim.
I'm just really stuck on what to say or how to feel. I really take pride in my work and use good stuff. :(

I feel this hairdresser has upset & scared this client, and I'm unsure how to tackle it on Wednesday :( advice would be nice please xx

Aw thats awful! I hate when hairdressers feel the need to slag off the previous stylists work.
I'd point out that its alot worse since she got back from holiday. She should really have had a decent shampoo and conditioner before she went as it does make a big difference, and a heat protection spray for when she was out in the sun most importantly.
you could maybe warn future clients of this too and retail them something suitable :) ive started to as it is so damaging and people dont realise.
Our job stops when we've finished their hair, what they do/ do not do with it in between is upto to them, we can only advise them. hugs and good luck x

I would mention to this client that a tactic some stylists use to gain clients is to tell the client their last hairdresser ruined their hair. Tell her about the precautions that you use and I would definitely mention what others wrote on here.
If thats not good enough for her, too bad. Hope you dont give her anything for free/discount.

If this was a new client who came to you with her hair as it is, what would you say to her? Presumably, you'd tell her that it's in poor condition and lightening it and straightening it has damaged it and will get worse if continued etc.

The other hairdresser hasn't really told her anything she hasn't been told before by you, it's just that as it's come from someone elses lips, she's finally starting to listen. That's a good thing. The other hairdresser clearly missed a trick by not retailing any products to her... ;-)

Just remind her that you have told her countless times about the poor condition and that she has to take some responsibility for keeping it healthy. I'm sure you can say this to her in a gentle way. Then retail her lots of products and think of your lovely bank balance. :)

Aww Hun :( she obviously thinks a lot of you as her hairdresser to come back to you and let you know what others have said (even if it has knocked your confidence) she obviously still trusts you to be her hairdresser.

Like has been said she is finally listening, a shame it came from someone else and they have blamed your work, but its going to be a mixture of all things. It sounds like she has weak hair and the colour is pushing it to the brink, because she's not looking after it, that's pushing it over the edge. (You use joico?) do the 4step treatment as a treatment and is she using the reconstructor at home now? Remind her its not a conditioner but a treatment and must follow with conditioner or hydrator. Is she using generic serum on her hair, i used to find a lot of people (when serum was the new big thing before oil) where packing on thick serum on dry hair before straightening and wondered why their ends frazzled, when I explained how thick it was, and put it in terms of chips oil and heat, they clicked. I explained the best lightweight one to use (from the salon) and whilst hair was damp not dripping and not dry. And guid them through as im doing their hair, show how much to use, where when and how. If they listen its up to them. Like has been said our job is to advise and nicely say i told you so when they don't.

Try to keep in mind she has come back to you for further advise xx

moroccan oil is fab for helping dry, damaged hair. its costly but a very good product. She could use that every day on wet or dry hair to help put a little more nourishment in there.
Dont worry about what the other hair dresser said, you obviously do a good job or she wouldnt come back! As hairdressers its difficult some times to tell people how to look after their hair with out offending them! For example i have girls come in with really long hair who just want the bare minimum taken of the ends because they wana grow it but really they need a couple of inches off to get rid of split ends, you try telling them, but you have to do what they want still! Its a fine balance and all you can do is give your best advice which you have done and hope they listen! x

Last edited:
Thanks for your nice helpful messages ladies. This really has knocked my confidence, and I will be even more careful than usual now when highlighting hair. I know this damage isn't my fault I just feel bad now because this bitchy salon has said such horrible things and doubted this lady against my work. I am seeing her on Wednesday. I will let u all know how it goes :) thanks again xx

Latest posts

Back