Bitchy colleague

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairgurl

Reaction score
I love the salon I work in and have made some great friends there, I’m really lucky with the girls I work with. We are only a small group and that generally means a nice working atmosphere, all of us are self employed so we’re all on an equal level.

Recently, a new girl started and she seems to not like me, despite my friendliness and welcoming/helping her out a lot when she was in her first few days. She is generally quite nice but makes bitchy passive aggressive comments towards specifically me, which are becoming more and more frequent. I’ll be chatting about something perfectly normal and she will have to respond or cut in with something undermining or bitchy, said in the form of a jokey comment.

I’m a confident person and am known for doing my own thing regardless of what people think. I’ve been made fun of by this girl for ‘talking too much’, cycling to work, being a gym-goer and healthy eating, the fact my car is small and cheap, and even my body shape and size when I’m eating my lunch (often calling me ‘so skinny’ in a derogatory way)! It reminds me of how girls act at school, poking fun at the one person who they’ve decided to pick on that day, except it’s always me!

Normally I completely ignore her childishness but it’s now at the point I feel I can’t speak to her or in her presence, because I’ll get belittled and if I’m not in the mood for that, I don’t want to hear it. She only does this to me, and does it in private as well as in front of the others. She has family issues so it makes me wonder if she feels bad about herself, but as I don’t know her well enough I can’t do anything to help her with that. She does come across as a bit of a damaged person. Any ideas on how to put up with this without snapping at her which would create a bad atmosphere at our work?!

I'm sorry you have to deal with this.

When she makes a derogatory comment to you say, 'why did you say that? Put her on the defensive.

Unfortunately, some people will do things as long as they 'get away' with it. By you asking why she said that, she'll have to 'defend' her comments and she won't be getting away with it any longer.

Just a thought. Best of luck to you!

Latest posts

Back