Biters & Flat flat nails HELP

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Ok, Let me explain.
I have no problem applying a set to biters, no matter how short they are.
I have managed this successfully several times and they've been "chuffed"
HOWEVER
personally...... I'm unimpressed.
I have 2 reformed biters (in particular), that although they are now sporting a nice length for NNO's.... I am NOT happy with the shape.

Their nails are sooooooooooooo flat...
If I try to put a nice apex, ... if you look down the barrell, it just looks dreadful.
I can't figure out how to get the nice shape I want. :irked:
I keep fiddling and "faffing" and am banging my head against the wall on how to file them so that they look right from all angles.
And they usually look fine...
UNTIL
you look down the barrel:o

These two are LITERALLY flat as pancakes :eek: and any apex looks odd from the barrell.
the free edge NATURALLY is 'straight' across. If I cut them off and used forms and 'sculpted' a nice c-curve (as in the beginning), they look fine. When they grow out into NNO's.... YUCK!
I don't know what to do.:cry:

The clients are pleased as punch.
Personally?
I DETEST THEM.

HELP!!! pretty please.

Ok, Let me explain.
I have no problem applying a set to biters, no matter how short they are.
I have managed this successfully several times and they've been "chuffed"
HOWEVER
personally...... I'm unimpressed.
I have 2 reformed biters (in particular), that although they are now sporting a nice length for NNO's.... I am NOT happy with the shape.

Their nails are sooooooooooooo flat...
If I try to put a nice apex, ... if you look down the barrell, it just looks dreadful.
I can't figure out how to get the nice shape I want. :irked:
I keep fiddling and "faffing" and am banging my head against the wall on how to file them so that they look right from all angles.
And they usually look fine...
UNTIL
you look down the barrel:o

These two are LITERALLY flat as pancakes :eek: and any apex looks odd from the barrell.
the free edge NATURALLY is 'straight' across. If I cut them off and used forms and 'sculpted' a nice c-curve (as in the beginning), they look fine. When they grow out into NNO's.... YUCK!
I don't know what to do.:cry:

The clients are pleased as punch.
Personally?
I DETEST THEM.

HELP!!! pretty please.
HI YA ... .. have you tryed to build the nail bed first .... then sculpt the tip on ... i found this way is fab for all my biters .. xxxx emily xx

As I said..
when I sculpt them, they're BEAUTIFUL. I have no complaints.

It's when they've grown out into NNO's.
And as they are reformed biters, of course they don't want me to cut them off and resculpt. They're happy to have "their own" nails.

So, they're own nail is flat as can be naturally.
The free edge is naturally perfectly horizontal, when there's an apex as there should be, it looks wonkey looking down the barrell. With the free edge straight left to right, if there's an apex, it looks like a hump. (unless looking at them sideways or from above, then they're fine).

I can't seem to get the apex right on NNO's on people with ultra flat nails.
MAKES ME CRAZY:!:

:lol:

As I said..
when I sculpt them, they're BEAUTIFUL. I have no complaints.

It's when they've grown out into NNO's.
And as they are reformed biters, of course they don't want me to cut them off and resculpt. They're happy to have "their own" nails.

So, they're own nail is flat as can be naturally.
The free edge is naturally perfectly horizontal, when there's an apex as there should be, it looks wonkey looking down the barrell. With the free edge straight left to right, if there's an apex, it looks like a hump. (unless looking at them sideways or from above, then they're fine).

I can't seem to get the apex right on NNO's on people with ultra flat nails.
MAKES ME CRAZY:!:

:lol:
i have got really flat nails and mine sky slope so i hate doing my own nails ... its a blooming pain... well i dont really know wot to say then that was the only idea i had ... im having one of them days today ...lol xxx if u come up with anything then let me know xxx emily xx

The problem here Victoria is that lots of ex biter have damged their nails over years of chewing on them. Building the nail bed and then tipping is the best way to get any kind of normal shape to them but if they want nno then I am afraid you can only produce something fantastic looking when working on a suitable canvas so to speak. :)

My nails are really flat. I know exactly the problem you mean. A couple of my clients are the same and I admit I do struggle as well. They're usually wide, square shaped nails as well, yes? So really hard to get a pretty oval shape.

I find if you try to taper the top of the free edge iykwim so that it's not too thick when viewed end-on then it looks a bit better.

What's that expression? You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear?

I would love to have long curved nailbeds. My mother has them and it's just not fair.

Oooooooooooo

You mean, it's NOT "Me"?? It's "them"??

Pheeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww (see me wiping sweat off my brow?)

Here I was thinking that maybe I had gone nuts and was doing something completely wrong.

Yes, their nails are wide, square and flat.
Some even "fan out" at the free edge, if I let them? I have to taper them slimmer? (know what I mean?)

And here, the trend is "square", not oval... so there's no way they'd go oval. Most people around here think it looks ridiculous or 'fake' :lol:

Ok, well I'll keep trying and trying.
Maybe eventually, some way, some how, I'll find a happy 'medium'?

:lol::lol:

I'm not a biter, just have flat, square nails:irked: I have tried sculpting my own nails and find I need to fiddle with them every week:lol: Tips look better on me, I get a lovely apex and a super curve and best of all I can leave them alone for about 2 1/2 weeks, I have been blaming my lack of skill at sculpting, it would be realy nice if it turns out to be my naff natural nails:green:

ive bumped this thread up because i was doing a search as i have a client the same! except her nails are not wide, infact they some are quite narrow...but i hate the flat look they have now become. she was a dreadful nail biter before coming to me, but am not doing nno's. she has been coming for a few months now and is very happy with her nails, but i dont like the flat look while looking down the barrel.
as she has been coming a few months, she is happy that he own nails have grown out, however she broke one last week (first one in a very long time) and it took the free edge of her natural nail with it...i guess this is because the nail may have been thin due to being a nail biter for the past 30 years!
anyway, i would like to get a nice curvy look back,,,do i have to remove and replace with a tip?

any ideas would be great! :)

Hi, no I would just sculpt the tip back on:)

I give my pancake nail girls a choice.. I can do what I can do for their flat natural nails OR they can go for a new set every 3 weeks, that being, shortening the FE up and sculpting a nice C curve every time (nothing different to what I do for my own nails and I have excellent C curves! I just hate being able to see natural nail under product.)

Guess what they pick? - and they don't mind paying extra each time either because it means they walk away with normal looking (curved) pretty nails.

This is an idea i have not thought of before. Something so simple. Thanks for sharing! x

I give my pancake nail girls a choice.. I can do what I can do for their flat natural nails OR they can go for a new set every 3 weeks, that being, shortening the FE up and sculpting a nice C curve every time (nothing different to what I do for my own nails and I have excellent C curves! I just hate being able to see natural nail under product.)

Guess what they pick? - and they don't mind paying extra each time either because it means they walk away with normal looking (curved) pretty nails.

the particular client i have, comes for rebalances every 2-3 weeks. she is way past the stage of needing weekly visits.
so you think i should offer a new set each time? im thinking of possibly doing a new set next time she comes in and just go from there. as i mentioned earlier, it has been a few months..so maybe its just time now for a new set.

My problem is that I have tried and tried and tried..
and my newly reformed biters flat out REFUSE to let me cut their nails and start afresh.

They are soooooooo proud of themselves, that they have NNO's, they don't care that they're not perfect.
It's me that hates them... and one of them? OMG I detest hers so much and find them dreadfully ugly. I keep trying, maybe eventually I'll think of something or maybe they'll curve a bit on their own at some point (wishful thinking, aye?)

ah well,
at least it's not me.
So relieved to hear that LOL

Ok slap me about if this is dumb.. as im more learned in Acrylic.. i assume you are using Gel??
what about putting on a bit more product and curing upside down.. I have heard that this allows the apex to build to a nice shape..

again.. no idea if it works.. or if you can work it.. but its a thought.. and im throwing it out there..:eek:

You're not dumb, hun, you just missed part of the thread :wink2:
speed-reading without finishing your morning coffeee? (yeah, I'm guilty of that ALL the time lol)

No, any apex at all, no matter how it's done looks absolutely dreadful.
Her nails are as horizontal as my table, when you look down the barrel. Absolutely no curve to be seen anywhere. So it always makes the apex look wonky:irked:

Nice try though
:hug:

no matter what you do, their nails are their nails, they will grow into whatever shape they really are, if they are flat they will grow out flat, whatever you create is an illusion and is semi-permanent. All you can do is your best to create that illusion, then repeat the illusion almost everytime they come in (or every second refill) . It's kinda like a perm... they eventually grow out from the root (as does a nail). Be careful when constantly pinching into shape (as this can weaken the nail to plate adhesion) Try building up through the middle to create the illusion without adding "apparent" thickness.

Also, if the clients are proud of themselves, allow them to be, it's fab they are grateful for their natural length. Remember "natural looking" is often imperfect. As long as the client is happy .... thats the main thing.

I have quite a few clients with flat nails, curvy nails, squewiff (pointing in one direction or another) and I let em do what they do ....., it's the way "natural" was meant to be. Perfection is often "fake".

If the nail is already flat, and we're just overlaying product on a base with no concave C curve, I don't see how we can achieve a perfect nail structure really.., you know what I mean?

Also, if the clients are proud of themselves, allow them to be, it's fab they are grateful for their natural length. Remember "natural looking" is often imperfect. As long as the client is happy .... thats the main thing.

I have quite a few clients with flat nails, curvy nails, squewiff (pointing in one direction or another) and I let em do what they do ....., it's the way "natural" was meant to be. Perfection is often "fake".

GOOD POINT!! :wink2:
I definately want them proud of themselves and yes, their happiness is what's important.
I guess when we strive so hard for what's perceived as the 'proper way' that a nail should look, then we hit a few bumps on 'challenging clients'... we get frustrated.

Worked again tonight on one of said clients, a reformed biter with ultra flat nails.. as usual, she was pleased as punch. Me???? hmmmmmmm not so pleased BUT happy to say, my "flat" nails are looking better than when this thread was first posted. I'm definately seeing improvement, working around the challenge
BUT
they'll never be 'lovely' in my eyes...

As you said, as long as the client's happy, then I've done my job.
:green:

Latest posts

Back