Bits in top coat!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarahjane69

Reaction score
Please help!! Don’t know what I’m doing wrong. Somehow I keep getting bits in my top coat. No idea what it is. I’m now on the 3rd bottle. And tonight it just happened again . I’m clearing away all of the dust before I apply gel. Wiping down after too and using prep and wipe with lint free pads on the nail before applying base coat.. Just don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I’ve now got 3 bottles that I can’t use. Please help!

Is it something in your top coat or actually tiny bit of nail plate tissue sticking up after dehydration? Unless you're using a cheap brand of gel polish its unlikely to be contaminated.

A photo would be useful

Could it be some of the inhbition layer being dragged onto your brush and then back into the top coat bottlle? Wipe on lint free pad inbetween top coat application to see for yourself. Check timings and lamp compatability to be sure.
I use cut wax strips for my lint free wipes ,because in my experience lint free ones aren't lint free.
Also I had this happen once when I had not closed my curtain and the uv light came in and cured the rim of the bottle slightly . So the cured bits went into the bottle...oops. I got it sorted so no more cured top coat floating in my bottle anymore!

I was just about to suggest what RosieR said above about the top coat curing in the bottle or on the brush. I had this happen where the top coat cured on the brush as I was applying it causing little bits of cured top coat to be attached to the bristles.

Are you sure it's not dust? I sometimes find the tiny particles land on the nails as I'm painting them and I'be put it down to the fact I use an e-file when I'm infilling to remove old gel polish and even though I use a dust extractor (only a cheap one at the moment unfortunately) and like you, clean up really thoroughly before gel polish application, I think it's the super fine particles still in the air that occasionally fall on the nails. - It's so annoying!!

This is happening to me to with every top coat after a few weeks. I don’t work beside a window and keep them in a dark box when not in use, there is a window in the room tho, should I be closing then blind when I’m doing nails?or is it the tacky layer going back into the bottle maybe? I’ve never been able to finish a bottle of top coat. Any advice? Thanks

This is happening to me to with every top coat after a few weeks. I don’t work beside a window and keep them in a dark box when not in use, there is a window in the room tho, should I be closing then blind when I’m doing nails?or is it the tacky layer going back into the bottle maybe? I’ve never been able to finish a bottle of top coat. Any advice? Thanks

Any amount of natural and working light can create the curing of the top coat, so it will be a process of trying to be quicker in application and limit how long your bottle is open during application. Also are you using enough top coat to deposit it evenly over the colour and not drag it on and therefore drag inihition off???

If I was you I would use a cut up wax strip ( Lint free are not actually lint free in my experience ) wipe the brush before each fresh top coat dip to check if it is the inhibition layer coming off the brush. Then apply new top coat .....plenty of it to hopefully not drag anymore inibition off the nail.
I hope that makes sense . It will take a bit longer , but you will not know what's causing it otherwise.

Also check your curing times .. but also make sure all your products are compatable with the lamp too.
Which products are you using by the way ?

I apply a good bit of top coat so I don’t think it’s dragging it, maybe just the residue from the tacky layer going onto the brush. I tried today wiping the nails with alcohol before doing top coat. Not sure if I should do that? Using premier gel at the minute but happened with gelish too. Using a 48w lamp but premier gel doesn’t do lamps. Also do you mean curing times as in over curing or under curing? What effect does that have on the top coat? Sorry for all the questions

I apply a good bit of top coat so I don’t think it’s dragging it, maybe just the residue from the tacky layer going onto the brush. I tried today wiping the nails with alcohol before doing top coat. Not sure if I should do that? Using premier gel at the minute but happened with gelish too. Using a 48w lamp but premier gel doesn’t do lamps. Also do you mean curing times as in over curing or under curing? What effect does that have on the top coat? Sorry for all the questions[/QUOTE

I wouldn't wipe with alcohol because you lose the sticky layer that top coat needs to adhere to. If you do it accidentally, apply base coat - cure and then top coat -cure.
Curing times may need to be extended to 60 seconds on your colour, however not knowing your full set up the likelyhood is that there is lamp and gel incompatability, which is so often a reason for problems . Mixing brands is a real no no as well. Sorry to say , but it will be worth going back to basics and understanding the science behind "why any old lamp won't do " The first post on the nail forum.
If you have gelish - use their lamp.
If you have premier gel - use the lamp specified by them or ask the forum what other premier gel users have success with. I can't say as I use all cuccio and never have your problems .
I'm not much help , but it really annoys me when gel makers make products that can't be safely cured and leave us all open to allergies for the rest of our lives, not to mention the client / insurance issue. It really is worth your while examining every step in your gel appliction.
I hope you get some useful advice and can find out what the cause is.

Thanks, yes I have asked premier gel and this is the lamp they recommend that’s why I got it. I have the top coat and base coat to go with each brand so I don’t mix brands either. Thanks for your help

WE have had this problem and noticed that the newer gelish bottles are clear glass at the top and not coloured glass as in the older bottles. Top coat is curing around the neck of the bottle. We are painting the neck of the bottle with a black polish to see if this helps. I have also messaged nail harmony and awaiti their reply.

Latest posts

Back