Bits on nails with gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tan Fairy

Reaction score
Whatever I do when i apply Gelish I always seem to get lots of bits & bumps on the nails, just dont know what I am doing wrong : (( I apply Ph, then foundation, dry brush or use good quality paper towel, then with 1 layer of gel there are bits!! I use lint free squares to wipe brush & when I clean the nail, so what am I doing wrong? :((

Its probably your lint free wipes that are causing this as a lot of them are not completely lint free, there have been several posts about this before and a lot of us on here now use bounty kitchen roll to wipe the nail and our brushes x

As above, its most likely your wipes, although I use lint-free wipes and dont have any problems.
x

As above, its most likely your wipes, although I use lint-free wipes and dont have any problems.
x

When u wipe, do u just lightly wipe or a good strong one? & after u wipe it leaves the foundation coat a bit lumpy underneath :/

I think sometimes tiny bumps appear after curing - I learnt on here that there was a reason but can't remember it (sorry) - something like polish too thick or bubbles in polish. Anyway, if I get these I carry on with rest of treatment, including top coat and wipe off sticky layer. Then, I lightly buff the bump away and apply another top coat. Obviously best not to get the bumps but this seems to work if you do.

I think sometimes tiny bumps appear after curing - I learnt on here that there was a reason but can't remember it (sorry) - something like polish too thick or bubbles in polish. Anyway, if I get these I carry on with rest of treatment, including top coat and wipe off sticky layer. Then, I lightly buff the bump away and apply another top coat. Obviously best not to get the bumps but this seems to work if you do.

I do it slightly different to you.

If you look closely at the nail immediately after dry wiping the foundation, you can see any little bumps. If you do one swipe with a buffer over the bumps and then wipe again it makes the rest of your application perfect. Always works for me anyway.

I do it slightly different to you.

If you look closely at the nail immediately after dry wiping the foundation, you can see any little bumps. If you do one swipe with a buffer over the bumps and then wipe again it makes the rest of your application perfect. Always works for me anyway.

So Juicylucy, Let me get this right, you dry wipe the foundation coat after curing ( What do you use? & how do you mean? stroke with a dry brush a few times or just one light wipe with a piece of Kitchen roll or something else? And then I take it you just use a white buffer & stroke down & then add the colour Gelish? Sorry to spell the question out, but nothing seems to work for me!!

Thanks Juicylucy - will try it that way - seems more sensible to get rid if them before the colour!

I do this too and works like a dream.

I use OPI lint free wipes they are more expensive but I never have to worry about bits of lint escaping onto the nail :)

Does it always appear or especially on removal and reapplication? I sometimes had this problem while i was still learning and was using my cuticle pusher to remove the gelish after soaking. It scraped the top layer of the nail so it stuck up from the nail. The bits are so small you dont really see them before you apply your first color layer. After i saw the damage i was doing i started soaking for a few minutes more and used a orange wood stick to GENTLY flake off the lifted product and i never have that problem anymore.

Sent from my BLADEII using SalonGeek

So Juicylucy, Let me get this right, you dry wipe the foundation coat after curing ( What do you use? & how do you mean? stroke with a dry brush a few times or just one light wipe with a piece of Kitchen roll or something else? And then I take it you just use a white buffer & stroke down & then add the colour Gelish? Sorry to spell the question out, but nothing seems to work for me!!

Yes you wipe (one firm wipe down on each nail) the cured foundation layer. I use either facial wax strips (cut in half) or OPI Expert Touch Wipes or kitchen roll cut in strips.

Then I look down each nail. If I see any bumps or lumps I give them one swipe with a buffer (usually an NSI SandTurtle 240) where I see the bump and then wipe again. Then colour coat.

If you see any more bumps in the first cured colour coat (this hardly every happens), you can swipe the bump with the buffer before going on to the second colour coat.

This all sounds faffy, but it takes seconds.

Thank god I'm not the only one, I sometimes get this especially after removal of Gelish I now use cut up kitchen roll but its a cheep make maybe ill use bounty. Buffing sounds like good idea too. I was beginning to think it was my foundation as I've had it a while, just ordered a new bottle .

Also, don't shake any bottles but roll them in your hands. Shaking them can creates bubbles in the polish :)

I've also used OPI lint free wipes, they don't leave anything behind. I'm now using the white cloth waxing strips, they are the same material as the OPI lint free wipes. They are cheaper. I just cut then up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SalonGeek

I prefer dry brushing with a gel brush, no worries about lint..& I just use the same brush every time,i use the Nail Harmony brand gel brush & LOVE it :D

You may find that this is a bit of damage to the surface of the nail after removal. Any slight damage lifts up with the base coat. Not using any scraping at all during removal, only rubbing with a wipe will prevent this.

If its there only light buffing will remove it

Yes you wipe (one firm wipe down on each nail) the cured foundation layer. I use either facial wax strips (cut in half) or OPI Expert Touch Wipes or kitchen roll cut in strips.

Then I look down each nail. If I see any bumps or lumps I give them one swipe with a buffer (usually an NSI SandTurtle 240) where I see the bump and then wipe again. Then colour coat.

If you see any more bumps in the first cured colour coat (this hardly every happens), you can swipe the bump with the buffer before going on to the second colour coat.

This all sounds faffy, but it takes seconds.

Thanks Juicylucy, I will try this tomorrow as I have a soak off & new application. x

Latest posts

Back