Biz books?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixieBeauty

Reaction score
Hi guys, not sure how to word this but here goes. My boyf regularly reads books by entrepreneurs to pick up ideas, hints/tips and generally learn the ethos of how these guys made it - think the Dragon's Den lot, Richard Branson etc.

He started a company a few years ago & suggested a read a couple as I'm starting out. I have found Karren Brady's book very useful I have to say & Debra Meadon is half read as we speak.

I wanted to know what any of you have done for guidance/input/inspiration in this way? Are there any books you'd recommend that are in our sector? Or perhaps more relevant to a sole trader? Or just general business advice books?

Would love to hear some ideas as so far these two I've read have given some brilliant ideas and hints,
Jess Xx

The E-myth is essential reading for anyone who wants to start a small business.

Great thanks Persianista!
Any others? Xx

"get off your arse" and "get off your arse too" by Brad Burton. I know Brad personally and he is amazing. He helped my mum set up her business and made it sucessful, he has also contributed to my start up. Its very "matter of fact" and straight talking and not at all boring like you would expect most biz books to be.
After my mum passed this year I think he is dedicating his 3rd book to her :) look at his website, says it all.
I'm going to go and ask him for commission now ;) lol

"It's not about the hair" by Tabatha Coffey I soo want to read, finding it hard to find in the uk though xoxo

"It's not about the hair" by Tabatha Coffey I soo want to read, finding it hard to find in the uk though xoxo

Ive read that book about 10 times! I love it & her! xx

I love reading books by entrepreneur's I've read all books by the dragons den lot, Alan sugar etc. I find them inspirational, informative and motivational. When I'm feeling down in the dumps I just pick up a new one and I'm off with new ideas.

I'm too obsessed with twilight at the minute to read anything else but I will be on the look out for a new book soon :)

I sometimes read, not often, and its got to really interest me. Harry potter, twilight series, madonna, lady gaga, and going to get tabatha. Am quite fussy, have one book sat in my draw, half read.... Been sat there 2 years lol xoxo

It's in iBooks for £6.99 xx

I've read a few of the 'business startup' books, but my favourite has to be Derek Sivers' "Anything You Want".

It's very down to earth, and written by a guy who really just wanted to play music for a living and accidentally wound up running a big music site (CDBaby). Some really good, interesting points that avoid a lot of the normal corporate smoke screening you get in some other, similar books

I really shouldn't share this but I will !
One of the best book I have read is by Dan Lok it's called lies salon owners believe and the truth that sets them free.
Definitely worth a read !

Fab thanks for the recommendations! Xx

One of the best book I have read is by Dan Lok it's called lies salon owners believe and the truth that sets them free.

I just bought this on my kindle. It's quite good so far, I have already implemented some changes, and it's made me get re-focused on my original goal to be a salon owner with a self supporting profitable salon.

Finished reading the book. Very good book. I still don't really understand marketing as opposed to advertising but I'm starting to get the gist of it.

For example I am going to be offering a refund on car parking fees (t and c's will apply) this is not to gain more clients as such, but to add value to our services, and hopefully create a subject of conversation with clients friends and family, which may in turn lead to a new client. Would this be a marketing strategy? Sending out personalised handwritten birthday cards, would this be a marketing strategy?

I find thinking outside of the box hard, but occasionally I get a good idea lol

Lots of ideas to work on now!

Hi Jemima,

Yes it's all about thinking outside the box ! Just adding that little extra to your service and making it personal...
I must get my book out again and read it again !

This is just what I'm looking for thanks for the recs x

Enjoy life

Latest posts

Back