Black box dye hair wouldn’t lift

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lara81

Reaction score
Hi I need some help. I had a client today she has been dying her hair black for many years and now wants to go a light brown and mid length and ends a dark blond level 6 with weaves. So I did a deep cleanse using wella bleach and 1.9 1-4 ratio, left on for 50min and this didn’t even lift 1 level so then I went in and put some foils m+e with 9% and only a few pieces lifted. So now I don’t no if I should try again with the same technique or maybe just go straight in to do a balayage but I’m worried I’m not going to be able to break threw all the layers of built up colour. What should I do? Thanks

Hi I need some help. I had a client today she has been dying her hair black for many years and now wants to go a light brown and mid length and ends a dark blond level 6 with weaves. So I did a deep cleanse using wella bleach and 1.9 1-4 ratio, left on for 50min and this didn’t even lift 1 level so then I went in and put some foils m+e with 9% and only a few pieces lifted. So now I don’t no if I should try again with the same technique or maybe just go straight in to do a balayage but I’m worried I’m not going to be able to break threw all the layers of built up colour. What should I do? Thanks
I personally would have gone in with a colour remover first, maybe twice then don't your highlights etc..
It's unlikely you will get the lift you need using balayage, as the bleach process open air, it doesn't like the same.
The best way to achieve maximum lift is to work in extremely small/thin sections and completely saturate the hair in product. I would still consider doing a a colour remover first.

ok Good advice thank you. I will do that in her next appointment.

ok Good advice thank you. I will do that in her next appointment.
Get a strand test, make sure you know what you're doing before she comes in, the process will be a lot smoother.

Ok will Do. thank you for your help really appreciate it

Get a strand test, make sure you know what you're doing before she comes in, the process will be a lot smoother.
Agree with strand test.

If she’s been colouring it black with box dyes over a few years, the colour will be very saturated and even using a colour reducer, you’re best assuming it will take 2-3 attempts to remove the heavy build up of artificial colour molecules.

When you do remove all the colour, it will be lighter than her root regrowth because the ammonia in the box colours will have lifted her natural at the same time as depositing the black colour.

hi Sorry only just seen your message. Right so I need to tell her it will take a few lifts as she has so much build up. Thank you for the advice appreciate it

Latest posts

Back