Black Market hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dondon90

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Without any judgement at all i'm curious as to how many of you have already gone back to work? Ireland have recently declared that hairdressers aren't opening until 20th July (at the very earliest) This is purely out of curiosity and I don't want anybody to pre-judge or bad mouth anybody that has.

Thanks

I suspect quite a few mobile hairdressers have been doing a few hair cuts for their regulars.
I have heard of a barber shop near me doing haircuts ‘round the back’ - blinds down!
It’s not for me to go against the rules - but people have different circumstances so I’m not about to judge.
What I do think however is that when we officially go back and apply all the necessary rules to safe guard ourselves and our clients, something should be done about those in this industry who will blatantly flout the rules by not supplying masks, gloves etc, working back to back - ‘no appointment necessary’ a ‘sit & wait’ service!
They then have the front to insist on Cash only’ payments, when the rest of us will have to either up our prices to allow for the extra cost per service, or take a financial hit as we try to absorb the extra costs in order to remain competitive.

Hi everyone,

Without any judgement at all i'm curious as to how many of you have already gone back to work? Ireland have recently declared that hairdressers aren't opening until 20th July (at the very earliest) This is purely out of curiosity and I don't want anybody to pre-judge or bad mouth anybody that has.

Thanks
Im aware of a few people who are still working, but it's not worth the risk for me. I have to do shopping for my grandparents and I'm shopping and caring for my dad who's recently had major surgery. So I will do all that I can to prevent the spread.

Sorry, but need to have a rant...

Just seen two hair/therapists coming out of my neighbours house. Their car had been there for about 3 hours. Very smart classic salon white tunic tops with black trousers, both well made up and blonde hair neatly up in pony tails. Black bags with them. I have never seen these girls visit before and even if they had they should not be visiting now anyway. A large family live there so I bet they have all had hair & beauty treatments!
Fume, fume :mad::mad::mad:

You'd think that if you were doing sneaky treatments you wouldn't turn up in matching salon outfits. Idiots, some people think lock down does not apply to them. :mad::mad:

As long as there is a demand folk will flout the he law....
I watched a piece on BBC breakfast today where they had someone undercover phoning barbers in the area, looking for a hair cut.
They managed to easily arrange several appointments!
One barber said they needed to come to the back of the shop, into the kitchen area - as he would ‘have trouble’ if they were seen - and the cut would be double the price - £30.00.
They made several enquiries at different barber shops - with a 50% success rate!
I’m sorry to say - not all ‘Barbers’, and Non -standard nail salons are playing on the same field as others in this ‘Profession’
You know the ones I’m referring to ...
CASH ONLY - NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY
Nothing will change when we return after the lockdown
Silly ‘Joe Public’ will still line their pockets

I think its disgusting. Beautiful on the outside but ugly inside. We are all suffering but the sacrifice is necessary for the good of everyone. If people do this, our sacrifices will be worthless & the end result we all hope for will be delayed. Personally I would have taken a picture of the car registration plate (very obviously so they could see) & reported them. Until they get fined they'll carry on. Sorry, too, to rant, but such selfishness makes my blood boil. I'm a hairdresser & know how much better we make clients feel, but this is not essential at the moment

I think its disgusting. Beautiful on the outside but ugly inside. We are all suffering but the sacrifice is necessary for the good of everyone. If people do this, our sacrifices will be worthless & the end result we all hope for will be delayed. Personally I would have taken a picture of the car registration plate (very obviously so they could see) & reported them. Until they get fined they'll carry on. Sorry, too, to rant, but such selfishness makes my blood boil. I'm a hairdresser & know how much better we make clients feel, but this is not essential at the moment
I agree 100%, the problem is, most fines being issued are £60, which if you pay immediately is reduced to £30. That's hardly off-putting when the likelihood hood is that they'll get caught once if that.
£30 is probably an hours work at the moment.

Yes I agree the fines aren't enough to put people off. I guess these clients are willing to pay inflated prices at the moment, so they will probably pay the fine for the stylists anyway. I did hear (hearsay?) that the fine increases each time you get caught, eventually leading to prosecution. Not sure if this has been actioned yet though. What a shame they can't all be added to an NHS list of people to turn away if they need treatment for covid-19. My neighbour is an ICU nurse risking her life every night & doesn't need people like that adding to the problems.

Looks like the lockdown is definitely unraveling....

3722F2CA-F2B6-4EEC-834E-6E4F295F92E3.jpeg

Sorry, but need to have a rant...

Just seen two hair/therapists coming out of my neighbours house. Their car had been there for about 3 hours. Very smart classic salon white tunic tops with black trousers, both well made up and blonde hair neatly up in pony tails. Black bags with them. I have never seen these girls visit before and even if they had they should not be visiting now anyway. A large family live there so I bet they have all had hair & beauty treatments!
Fume, fume :mad::mad::mad:

You'd think that if you were doing sneaky treatments you wouldn't turn up in matching salon outfits. Idiots, some people think lock down does not apply to them. :mad::mad:

I hope you reported them. I wouldn’t stand for that regardless of being a beauty therapist or not. How dare they spread the virus to my neighbours and how dare my neighbours be a part of the problem. Not cool. They will have a lot to answer for when they have dead clients and no more money.

Wow guys..
All this talk of "taking pictures of license plates and reporting them" or "putting them on a list so the nhs can deny them treatment" is dreadful and extremely radical. You don't know what position the people who are continuing to work are in. Children still need feeding and bills still need paying. Everything hard working people have worked their whole lives for are being swept away in an instant and none of you have spared a thought about how much of an awful position they have been forced into through having to choose between watching their children go hungry or going out to work.

I have been off work for 2 months now (self employed) and have yet to recieve a single penny towards my expenses and food bill.
Shame on you for boasting of your moral high ground and not even showing an ounce of compassion for those who are struggling like this. And before anyone starts to recount death tolls and hospital admission numbers to me, some food for thought; in the history of modern civilisation a weak economy has always surged a huge rise in deaths from multiple causes. Those of which i believe will far outweigh coronavirus. So next time you mount your high horses (for i'm sure there will be a next time) try and take a different perspective.

Where does it stop though? If we all decided to do that then you might as well just forget lockdown altogether... let’s just do what we want and to hell with the virus & the NHS... You are absolutely right, we all have different circumstances and bills to pay, mouths to feed, so why would I be spending the last few pennies I have on stock, cleaning materials and face masks etc at the moment, to take the risk to go into someone’s house and make probably £30/40 if that?! Not worth the risk and it is incredibly selfish when the majority of us, yourself included, are staying home and sticking to the rules. I have a dad with cancer in one house and a sister with bipolar in another, she lives alone and has been stuck at home for 8 weeks now and do you not think that I all I want to do is rush round, give her a hug and a pedicure and massage everytime she phones me crying her eyes out because she’s so lonely... I’m terrified for her, but she won’t move in with me because of limited space and her pets, and then there are people who think it’s fine to carry on going into strangers houses to make a small bit of money. .. it doesn’t sit well with me.

Luckily, the vast majority of us don't need to rush off back to work but i'm talking of the people who have no choice. I honestly believe that mainstream media and politicians have vastly overexaggerated this issue, yes the vunerable should be looked aftered but they have put the fear of god into young, healthy people as well. Your father should definitely be self isolating, no doubt, but where your sister is concerned I would go around and give her a hug and delete whatever news apps you have on your phone because the VAST majority of what the mainstream media are propogating is speculation and fear. Feel free to disagree with me but that is my honest opinion.

I’ve had a few socially distanced cups of tea with her.. me on the driveway, her in the porch just to check on her, but my husband is still working and I will not go inside her house or risk her getting ill because he’s in and out everyday.. I don’t follow tabloids or social media speculation, but it’s common sense to me to stay away from her because she absolutely can not afford to get ill, mentally and financially. X

I apologise if I came across as judgemental. I'm totally sympathetic towards anyone experiencing extreme financial difficulties at this moment. We don't know if these people have contacted their banks for advice or assistance or researched what help is being provided by local groups, such as food banks,etc. However, this is affecting us all though. I'm self employed and haven't received any help yet either. I can submit a claim from Thursday though (7.5 wks with no money so far) but have no idea when the Gov will pay it into my bank account. Credit card holiday is a godsend as my food shop has gone on that. I don't like the way social media inflates everything so am calling and texting my clients to offer help or a chat and I update with the news once a day because it was overwhelming. Hysteria surrounding this is not good. However, we all know the facts and we have the 2nd highest death rate globally. It is serious. If we don't take the steps advised, this will just prolong the pain for the majority of us, encouraging a 2nd wave in the process, which really isn't fair on the majority. I still stand by my comment that clients requesting beauty/hair treatments at this time are ugly inside though. I like to think, as a hairdresser, I offer a valuable service, but I certainly don't consider myself to be essential at this moment in time. This is obviously a very controversial topic.

The U.K. has the highest death rate in Europe, that’s a fact not speculation. The virus doesn’t care about opinions or people.
In my opinion, the UK govt. acted too late to implement lockdown and didn’t do enough to curb the spread at the start as people were and are still travelling between countries. (I’m also annoyed with the Irish govt. for not closing the airports and Ports.)

Whilst people still meet with others outside of their immediate circle, without taking social distancing precautions, the virus will carry on infecting many more people and the death toll will continue to climb.

Unfortunately, some people have no sense of social responsibility and are only interested in themselves. :(

The U.K. has the highest death rate in Europe, that’s a fact not speculation. The virus doesn’t care about opinions or people.
In my opinion, the UK govt. acted too late to implement lockdown and didn’t do enough to curb the spread at the start as people were and are still travelling between countries. (I’m also annoyed with the Irish govt. for not closing the airports and Ports.)

Whilst people still meet with others outside of their immediate circle, without taking social distancing precautions, the virus will carry on infecting many more people and the death toll will continue to climb.

Unfortunately, some people have no sense of social responsibility and are only interested in themselves. :(

Please may I add that my son-in-law lost a 42 year old fit, cricket playing team mate in early April with no underlying health issues. It is rare, but still possible.
On another note....Supercutz, I notice you are based in Ireland . Have you been given an exact return to work date yet? I totally understand why Boris wont be committed to a timeframe, but its good to get a little sense of perspective, moving forward

We’re not back before July 4th.....
DB9DEF56-CD86-437E-9D62-82E2658F5B1F.jpeg

The Irish govt. published their plan to re-open the country more than a week ago.
There are 5 stages to the process with each new stage happening at 3 week intervals.
They have mentioned Hair & Beauty services opening in Stage 4 which is July 20th.
Obviously, if the infection rate shoots up at any point, the plan will be re-visited and lockdown could be resumed.

My current concern is that the Irish Hairdressers Federation are lobbying for an earlier re-start date despite not having consulted with its members. :mad:
I’m guessing that the owners of the big salon chains are the ones behind this nonsense, because I think the majority of hairdressers and salon owners aren’t that keen to go back until they feel it is reasonably safe to do so.

Latest posts

Back