Black pores after spray tan?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChelleConnor

Reaction score
Hi everyone...

Im just wondering if this is normal...
After a spray tan and for the whole duration my tan stays on, in my cleavage, tops of shoulders and some of my back has really black pores.
I can squeeze the black out as if its a spot but im just wondering if this is normal?

Thanks x

Yep, that sounds just like what I've noticed, too - I notice more with anything over 12% DHA - it looks awful and I don't know the answer to what you can do to avoid it. No matter what tan I've used, it happens - here's the ones I've got this yuvcky effect with.. OMG 16%, 20%, Sunshadez 14% and 16%, Siennasol Extreme 16%, SunLabs 12%, St Tropez Lotion.
The only time I don't get that effect, is when I use a product without a guide colour, like Siennasol 8%. I don't mind using a product without guide tan but I know that a lot of people wouldn't touch it with a barge pole

HTH

I have the same problem.

It looks like i have hundreds of blackheads on my boobs and inbetween them. (not a good look!)

It doesnt matter if i exfloitate, dont exfoliate, am hot or cold. they come up everytime i tan.

Hi I am in no way a skin geek but have recently started a beauty therapy NVQ and just did a little bit about skin types. We were told that you can tell a client has oily skin because they have very open pores, so if you guys have oily skin in those areas could this be the cause? Or am I way off? Lol

It sounds to me like the pores are open and the tan is getting into them.

Thats the way they described in my training that your skin will react if you've waxed or had a heat treatment (sauna etc) too close to a tan.

I dont know if there is anything you could try out to close the pores before a tan - maybe splashing cold water on the area would help? I dont know the answer on how to close pores sorry.

It sounds to me like the pores are open and the tan is getting into them.

Thats the way they described in my training that your skin will react if you've waxed or had a heat treatment (sauna etc) too close to a tan.

I dont know if there is anything you could try out to close the pores before a tan - maybe splashing cold water on the area would help? I dont know the answer on how to close pores sorry.

I think it's possibly the guide colour that's causing the problem because when I use a solution withour a guide colour, nobody gets the "blackhead" effect on their back, face or chest .

I mainly tan dancers (people I know well) and have most experience with my daughters - I won't tan them until at least an hour after showering, so that the skin settles, pores close and the pH gets back to normal - so I don't think it's heat that's affecting the absorption into the pores in these areas. My youngest is too young for oily skin issues and neither myself nor my eldest have oily skin, so the enlarged pores isn't an issue. I can see the logic but sadly it doesn't explain it for the three of us :confused:

The pores actually look much darker than the tan on the surrounding skin or the guide colour - I just don't understand it but I'm sure someone will come along and have the answer as to what's happening lol!

Last edited:
U could try rubbing ice cubes on the area for 15 mins as it helps tighten the pores or lemon juice is supposed to do the same thing...leave it on and rinse off 15 mins later. I have no idea if they will help but it mite b worry a try as if the pores r closed they shouldn't get full of guide colour?! :) xxx

Yes ladies thats exactly what I get ' The blackhead affect' glad other people get it as well as me!!

Completely confused as to why, its mainly in between my boobs, chin and nose.

It would be due to me being warm or having open pores cause once I strip off im usually cold spesh when the tan sprays me!

Could be oily skin as I am prone to this! But how do we stop this?

I dont mind it as you can see it far away but obviously I know its there, I can squeeze them like spots and it comes out but then I end up with a red chest :eek:

Yes ladies thats exactly what I get ' The blackhead affect' glad other people get it as well as me!!

Completely confused as to why, its mainly in between my boobs, chin and nose.

It would be due to me being warm or having open pores cause once I strip off im usually cold spesh when the tan sprays me!

Could be oily skin as I am prone to this! But how do we stop this?

I dont mind it as you can see it far away but obviously I know its there, I can squeeze them like spots and it comes out but then I end up with a red chest :eek:

This happens to me too but only now I've been using up my Puri Tan solution. I never got it with Tantirck, but as stated, Tantrick doesn't have a dark guide colour.

Sorry, don't know how to prevent it other than having a solution with less guide colour in it.

xx

i get this aswell but even with tans without guide colour so in my case i dont think its to do with guide colours, hope someone comes up with an explanation because its so annoying!!

I get this too! When I apply my own tan I just put a bit extra on my chest and the next day I exfoliate and it goes. It is so annoying though! Have found it with every brand too x

I also get this as have a slightly oilier skin type but I have found an amazing preparation spray which removes any oils, sweat, makeup, deodrant and somehow exfoliates the skin and reduces any patchiness! I buy it from a company called Fresh Indulgence in Kent who also offer cheap delivery. I offer this as an "extra" to clients and put it into a separate bottle in my spray gun and completely prep the body if client wants it - it smells of lemongrass and refreshing. Its only £6.99 ish for a small bottle but definately help reduce that beading as well.

The company has a website if you google them, and I always order from a lady called Catherine who is lovely. They also do the sticky feet and all sorts of other tanning products....

I get this too on my chest, boobs and legs......looks horrible and I only get sprayed with an 8%. I dont have oily skin either, quite the opposite actually. Hope there is a way to stop or explain it as its a tricky thing to answer if a client has the same problem and asks why it happens x

posted with Samsung Galaxy S

Hi guys I found this happened with darker tans as well and after having a coffee with a fellow geek we came up with the idea of facial toner as this helps to close the pores well we decided to give it a go and it actually worked was worried about the tan not taking in the area but it was fine HTH x

Treacle....that sounds like a fab product to b offering!!! Do u just spray the whole body b4 u do the spray tan? Or is it just speciffic areas I.e. Face, underarms, neck etc?! How much roughly would u charge for that extra as if spraying whole body it would take same amount of time as tanning? Xxx

Treacle....that sounds like a fab product to b offering!!! Do u just spray the whole body b4 u do the spray tan? Or is it just speciffic areas I.e. Face, underarms, neck etc?! How much roughly would u charge for that extra as if spraying whole body it would take same amount of time as tanning? Xxx

This is the link to the prep spay that Treacle mentioned.

Pre-Prep Spray

Personally as I'm mobile I dont see the point in it as all my tanners would have booked thier appointments and would therefore have no reason not to have followed prep advice.

I do see the point in the spray for salons though as someone walking in on the off chance may not have preped and this would remove oils, make-up, sweat etc.. and enable them to be sprayed although they wouldnt have exfoliated so the tan may still not turn out the best (client should obviously be warned of this before tanning).

Last edited:
I get this problem aswell just on my chest, it's so annoying!
Wow treacle, I must try that prep spray! xxx

Sienna X do one as well..hope the linky thingy works xx
Sienna X - Pre-Post Tan Trade
Or perhaps some exfoliating wipes from Boots or Tescos etc??

Vita Liberata sell a prep mist as well, which prevents this from happening. Their prep scrub is very good as well. The prep mist Ive used on customers who arrive straight from work, but its no guarantee the tan will still be a success without correct preparation themselves, do tell them this.

You can sometimes get a speckled effect if you are overspraying as well.
Just in case that helps anyone xxx

Latest posts

Back