Bleach and levels of peroxide!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babychops

Reaction score
All the girls I work with at my salon always use 12% with there bleach (on foils not scalp application) just because they want it to hurry up and lift quickly, and they think they will get a brighter blonde. Whereas I always use 6% because I think the lower the peroxide and the longer you leave it on it won't damage the hair as much and you will get a more even cleaner blonde. Am I right? X

U are right you shouldn't use 12% with bleach it kills the hair I was always taught 12% is for high lift only x

I have tried to tell them this and they don't believe me! Lol x

Please don't tell me they take 12% through to the ends too?x

Totally agree with u, I isn't 3% on a lots of my clients or if I do a full head and know that the back foils are going to be in for quite some time. I rarely use 12%~maybe once or twice a year! That would be with a high lift never with bleach! Even my highlights I find if left for a good 40-45 mins (without heat) Lift beautiful with 9%....12% I dont know why so many hairdressers love it!

Yeah sometimes they take it through to the ends if they need lightening a little bit. It just makes me mad that they just do it for quickness and don't listen to what I say! I need to print something off and take it in to show them lol x

Totally agree with u, I isn't 3% on a lots of my clients or if I do a full head and know that the back foils are going to be in for quite some time. I rarely use 12%~maybe once or twice a year! That would be with a high lift never with bleach! Even my highlights I find if left for a good 40-45 mins (without heat) Lift beautiful with 9%....12% I dont know why so many hairdressers love it!

Same! Think I have used 12% in foils. ONCE when the base was SOOO dark x

Yeah sometimes they take it through to the ends if they need lightening a little bit. It just makes me mad that they just do it for quickness and don't listen to what I say! I need to print something off and take it in to show them lol x

Ahhhh! I feel ill!!! Lol x

I was always trained to use 40vol but now use 20vol, you are definatly right. I think you'd be suprised by the amount of hairdressers still using 40vol

Im currently using Matrix v - light bleach with 10 and 20 vol it gives great lift, and colour graphics, with an 8 vol developer.
I am still amazed by the lift it can achieve. Products have come a long way. Healthy happier hair and it really doesn't take any longer to lift, it just lifts as you said, slower and cleaner. 40 vol goes to a bright orange and stays really warm for ages :) x

I am gonna show them this thread and see what they say! Lol x

Lift it slower for cleaner and less damage to hair xx

I was always taught bleach with 40 vol. but since coming on here and working for myself iv changed to 3% and wellas blondor bleach and the results are so much nicer. The lift is fab clients are happy no ruined hair no orange bits just a nice clean blonde and better condition. I know loads of people who use bleach with 40vol and there is just no changing some people. X

From a technical point of view, bleach and 40 vol will throw out more yellow tones than bleach and 20 vol.
The moment bleach and 40 touch the hair, it begins to degrade the hair. The hair would disintegrate before it turns truly clean blonde. Hence that brassy " bad bleach" look you get.

By lifting slower using 20, you find that the yellow pigments are more effectively removed without hair degradation. You get a clean blonde without texture change or " glassiness"
Kimmi1101 used a great analogy, she likens it to baking a cake.
If the recipe says bake for one hour at 200 degrees, turning the oven up to 400 degrees won't cook it quicker, it will just burn it outside and ruin it.

All the girls I work with at my salon always use 12% with there bleach (on foils not scalp application) just because they want it to hurry up and lift quickly, and they think they will get a brighter blonde. Whereas I always use 6% because I think the lower the peroxide and the longer you leave it on it won't damage the hair as much and you will get a more even cleaner blonde. Am I right? X

It should never be done full stop!! X

When I was training I was taught to use 12% with bleach, it's only on this sight I was taught otherwise, but I am getting much better results now, I got everyone in my last salon doing it too, not sure what the other stylists use at the new one yet x

i'm training at the moment and our tutor says 6%(20vol) for onscalp application and we can use all for off scalp but we never use 12%(40vol).the only time 12% is used is when we use highlift.

I use 3% and on the odd occasion 6% with bleach....yes it takes slightly longer but gives such a better result colour and condition wise.
I only ever use 12% with high lift :)

p.s know someone who used to use 60vol (when u could buy it) with bleach!!!!! :|

Hi . I’d there a product that stops lightener when foiling please

The lower the concentration percentage/vols you use, the less likely you are to make a mistake. Yes, it takes longer, but you will have more control and more time to control and get it off than you would with 12% if you need to in a hurry.

Hi . I’d there a product that stops lightener when foiling please
Not that I know of, but what I find works best is to start with a lower developer and then up it as you go along, sometimes I use 4 different developers with bleach on the same head, but it allows me to be precise and it all gets washed off the same time 😊
You could also look at meches systems as they work more like clay, where they don't start developing for at least 15mins so will give you a bit of a head start and then after say 30 mins they slow right down so again giving you extra time. But you will only achieve 5 levels of lift this way.

Latest posts

Back