Bleach disaster!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perry_Althair

Reaction score
Hey Geeks

Going to be a long one so sorry in advance!

Yesterday i had one of my regulars for a colour and a cut...ive done her hair probably about 8 times now, probably 6 times in the colour it is now.

I do a scalp bleach, and a blue black halo at the front.

I have used the same products in exactly the same way ever since her hair has been this colour, but as we all know, bleach dulls and i have in the past bleach bathed the ends with bleach powder, shampoo and water - equal parts, but it never seemed to make much difference.

She really looks after her hair so even though it is platinum blonde, it was in great condition, also we were doing a restyle and taking on average 3 inches off her hair all over, but it's asymmetrical so one side had a lot more off than the other....because of the restyle, i thought id bleach the roots with 20 vol, as i normally do, and half way through processing, mix up a bleach bath with 3% to cleanse to ends so the toner would be as even as possible.

however the first thing we noticed was that the bleach was 'itchy' for her and it had never been in the past, my first reaction to this was she may have washed her hair very recently but she told me she hadn't washed it in about 3 days, and you could definately tell!

The second peculiar thing was that the roots were lifting, but you could see they were going very brassy, almost bright orange after about 10 minutes. Using 20 vol and this product, this never ever happens, its hard to see any change when it's processing as its such a gentle product.

About 5 minutes before we were due to wash it of and apply the toner, she said she had under exaggerated the itching, and it had actually been burning since 5 minutes after i started to apply it to her roots. sure enough, i looked at the back of her neck and it was red raw and so were her ears!

The bleach bath was also on at this point so we went straight to rinse, and i said as her scalp was sensitive today, i may not be able to tone, but i may try some oil on her scalp before i apply the toner, and i never shampoo prior to a toner anyway as this makes it even more uncomfortable.

Whilst rinsing, i found it quite strange that the bleached hair felt softer than the black hair...but this just proves, what is feels like, proves nothing!

After the bleach had been thoroughly rinsed, i began to blot dry her hair with a towel, and....clumps of her hair just broke off! i literally thought i was going to throw up, cry, then faint!

luckily shes also a friend so i am still alive to ask for advice here, but it was terrible, the roots were yellow, and they always lift to a clean white and the rest of it was just dead....as soon as i seen it, i covered it in masque and started cutting as i didn't want the damage to spread to the root.

I can safely say, the majority isn't now breaking, but some still is.

i have never seen hair look and feel like that before so all i can think is a chemical reaction, or the bleach i used was a bad batch or something as it brand new.

Someone shed some light on this please lol and how would i go about getting my bleach tested...i know it sounds funny but i dont trust the company to actually test it and tell me the truth, if there is something wrong with it!

Cheers Geeks!

She also just text me saying her scalp still really itches and stings and you can see burns all over!

hi hopefully bluerinse or maybe someone else with more colour experience should help you shortly is the client maybe on any new medication? been using anything in her hair like lighteners etc was your mix ratio exactly right? xx

hi hopefully bluerinse or maybe someone else with more colour experience should help you shortly is the client maybe on any new medication? been using anything in her hair like lighteners etc was your mix ratio exactly right? xx

Yeah i'm waiting for Blue or Persianista to shed some light on this lol

She hasn't been on any medication, as thats the first thing i asked her, i then asked about the dreaded lightening sprays and checked her bathroom/bedroom on the sly, but nope.

And yes mix ratio was exactly right, i use scales too so i know it was for sure!

Yeah i'm waiting for Blue or Persianista to shed some light on this lol

She hasn't been on any medication, as thats the first thing i asked her, i then asked about the dreaded lightening sprays and checked her bathroom/bedroom on the sly, but nope.

And yes mix ratio was exactly right, i use scales too so i know it was for sure!

Hey, was both the bleach and peroxide brand new? Over loaded her hair with products?

Hey, was both the bleach and peroxide brand new? Over loaded her hair with products?

Peroxide is new but was used before, and it definately wasn't over loaded, i only wanted a slight lift/cleanse on the ends so it was barely covered :(

Peroxide is new but was used before, and it definately wasn't over loaded, i only wanted a slight lift/cleanse on the ends so it was barely covered :(

I mean over loaded with styling products?

Was it affinage bleach ? X

I know im not a hairdresser whatsoever but just saying your skin can build up intolerances to things? Could this not be the case? My two friends have the platinum blonde look and if they scalp bleach their hair whilst having their 'woman issues' (lol) they're skin goes roaring red and itches like crazy!! Xx

I know im not a hairdresser whatsoever but just saying your skin can build up intolerances to things? Could this not be the case? My two friends have the platinum blonde look and if they scalp bleach their hair whilst having their 'woman issues' (lol) they're skin goes roaring red and itches like crazy!! Xx

This is something I thought of, however it doesn't explain the fact it also killed her hair :/ x

O dear that is strange, cant say ive ever experienced anything like it using ice creme, although i do personally find the blue one slightly harsher than the white.
What else can cause chemical reactions? I'd say try going through all the products she uses on her hair and maybe try the bleach out on a spare block or strand test etc to see if the same thing happens. If it does then i guess you could take it up with affinage.

Could your client be pregnant, I have scalp bleach, same processor years, my hair in excellent condition, then the last time I had it done it snapped off on my crown, and my scalp was blistered and weeping.........I didn't know I was pregnant at the time and didn't really bother appart from using masks every week.
Then I just did my roots again and this time I put a Wella scalp protect serum on first......burnt like hell again, my hair was all matted with puss.
The only thing I can put it down to is the fact that I now know I'm pregnant so I guess hormones etc change my skin and hair, just a thought as the only other thing I could think of was as someone mentioned, that maybe there was styling products on the hair......it's a difficult one.

Yep...Ice Creme Mint...Never ever had any problems with it ever....do you use it claire? x

Yeah i always use ice creme, as its ammonia free. I've never had any problem. Have you tried calling Affinage to see if they can advise anything. or as you said could be a dodgy batch. Let me know how it goes :) x

I'm really sorry to hear this. Reading other posts you have put it's obvious that you know what your talking about so i doubt it would have been caused by you.

I know what you mean about sending things back to the company for checking as they probably won't be very willing to hold there hands up and take blame. Saying that i've heard good things about affinage maybe they'll be more honest them you think.

As you've used there bleach and peroxide and carried out the same treatment before maybe they'll be more willing to help.

For reasons for it happening all i can think of is:
1: is she pregnant (this is the only one i can think of to explain scalp and hair reaction)
2: has she changed medication
3: has she been under blot of stress lately
4: have you stored the products different from usual
5: sorry to ask but you've definitely not mixed the peroxide bottles 9 instead of 6 etc (really sorry to ask)
6: could there have been any tint etc left in bowls/brushes

sorry for the obvious questions but the more things you've done a check list on the more info you can give to affinage.

I've never tried it but I've heard pouring milk on the scalp is meant to help soothe it.

Good luck with it and please keep us posted x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

cant think of anything different from whats already been said, we always pour milk over after a full head bleach totally calms the scalp down

hope you manage to get to the bottom of it

Condensed milk is better than plain milk.
There are a few things that could have happened. My iPad is just about to die of lack of charge, so will post in a min

When i used to have a full head bleach i used to put a mask on after and it made my head feel soooo much cooler!!

Im not sure what the name was! Its was bed head in a round pot and smelt of pepermint!! The peppermint really cooled and calmed my scalp! Great to have hanging around the salon incase of a 'hot head'! Some one my know the name! If not ask at your whole sale its not exspensive! X

Sent from my HTC Vision using SalonGeek

Oh Perry!

What a terrible situation to be in,no wonder you felt sick and faint!!

Really want to see what Persianista says when her ipad is charged up.

Chin up lovely xxx

Oh Perry!

What a terrible situation to be in,no wonder you felt sick and faint!!

Really want to see what Persianista says when her ipad is charged up.

Chin up lovely xxx

I am too.

I hope you can get to the bottom of this. What a shame!

X

Latest posts

Back