Bleach disasters

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrobinson

Reaction score
Anyone ever had a bleach disaster??

ive just done an old clients hair at home, she normally has back to back slices of bleach 9% and 10/1 6%. it gives a fab result but shes been asking me for the past 6 months to just put the bleach on her roots so shes full blond. i said it would look less natural and didnt think we should do it. so i gave in this time nad we put the bleach straight on her roots then i put 10/1 thro in somefoils.
after washing it it really did look like that horrible chav yellow blonde and looked terrible!! it wasnt really bad as ive seen some but it wasnt good!
So i went to get more colours to do a ful head foils but she decided she's going to wait until tomorrow!!
arrrrrrrrr i wish id followed my instincts and stuck to my guns and not done it! at least she knows now anyway!!
im dreading doing it in the salon tomorrow as everyone wil see and we have the wella techs coming for a course tomorrow i dont want them to think this is an example of my work!:irked:

You know sometimes this can happen, some clients have their minds made up and wont listen! I have a friend who wants to go blonde all over I have said to her that it wont look as nice as having back to back slices with different tones of blonde so she is keeping her slices for now!
I think you did well as you are going to change it tomorrow, as you feel it will look much better for the client.
If anyone in the salon says anything just tell it as it is.... the client insisted against my better judgement. Client isnt alway right but they sometimes have to learn for themselves!
Im quite blonde these days from a base of 4 but dont ever imagine having anything other than foils for the different tones of the blonde. Although Im far from a natural blonde it just looks way more "natural" having the different tones, if that makes sense!! haha

hi hun please dont fret, i think from time to time weve all had disasters especially concerning bleach, As it can be soo unpredictable . if your anything like me you will be panicking till it is done. but im sure when she comes in and you add some foils to break it up it will be fine. And you can demonstrate your colour correction skills in front of the wella reps!!!:lol:

yes i am panicking untill its done i cant wait until tomorrow to do it!! What colours would you personally use? im thinking 6/17 6%, 9/16 6% and 12/1 9% so that it is nice and cool again!

Infact ive got a joy of a client on wednesday. one of those annoying ones who has there hair coloured twice a year if that:rolleyes:. long naturally curly mega thick and wants a complete colour change every time:mad:. the last time she had it coloured is 8 months ago and she had 6/40 with 1/2 inch /045 allover with some matrix redkicks slices underneath. looked fab ,but obviously she is now going to have major fadage and lovely roots. she now wants to have hig-lights for the summer. Im dreading it coz it will just not lift up a nice "pure"blonde, ill need to do chunky weaves as its soo thick and curly and finer ones will get "lost". Any inspiration ideas geeks.?????? im wanting to suggest a base in there aswell like a nice chocolate brown inbetween the weaves as her mid lengths and ends are going to be wishy washy and she will have so much roots/ Throw some ideas hunnys it will be much appreciated.???

yes i am panicking untill its done i cant wait until tomorrow to do it!! What colours would you personally use? im thinking 6/17 6%, 9/16 6% and 12/1 9% so that it is nice and cool again!

yes that sounds a nice mix hun,and should add some natural tones back in there. you could do a wash of colour fresh 0/6 at the backwash aswell hun, i love that product for toning down after bleach. good luck let us know how you get on. x

thanks for the reassurancE!! Your client will have really faded ends wont she. If she wants rid of the red if there's any left, a nice all over colour is 30ml 5/77+ 10cm 0/88 6% its really does get rid of all the red. Then i guess bleach for her blonde although this is just going off the fact shes had red, then a toner like you say for mine!
Hth

i can remeber my mate going to a salon to have her hair done , she didnt tell me what she was having done , till she phoned me later and was crying , her hair was cropped mega short and ginger , lol
think annie lennox , she was horrified but hadnt dared say anything , so i had to put a brown over it as at the time i didnt have any other colours (i had gave up hair at this point )
i used to bleach mine all over , cringe now i think back coz i never toned it or anything , i must have looked well chavvy :lol: but it was really white i have to say (granted my hair was like a sponge , lol )

This is not so much a bleach disaster, but a hair disaster, i work at sallys and get people ask me all the time to help them with picking hair colours and helping with developer strength. I always say no, I can't help as i'm not a trained professional and i suggest you go seek one as these are for professional use only...anywayyyyyyys theres always a few who think they can do it themselves..

there was this one lady, she was turkish, spoke hardly any english and had very dark (about a 3/0) 3 inch roots coming through, but she'd obviously dyed it like a reddy colour with 10/0 streaks at the front. (think geri halliwell 1998), she asked me for help and i replied that i couldn't. well, 5 minutes later..she'd picked up a Majirel 1.0 (yes!) and 12%peroxide.. and i said, are you sure you know what you are doing with this! :eek: now i don't know a lot about hair but...putting a 1/0 over a 10/0...with 12%! what would that have turned out like?!?!

and another one which was a bit of a :grr: was a woman had come into complain that her sons hair had gone green..turns out she'd just put a straight koleston onto his hair no developer...*sighs* ....:rolleyes: what can you do eh!

Many many years ago............ myself and another stylist were both doing capped hi-lites. They had both been rinsed off (this is now back in 1987 when bleach was Queen and everybody wanted to look like their hair was ready to fall out) Both clients had requested white hi-lites, so I toddled off to mix the toners for both clients, We applied the toners and within a couple of minutes both ladies were bright blue! I always mixed in blue mix tone into the toners back in them days so instead of putting an inch of mix tone in and half a tube of the toner I had done it the wrong way round, I mixed up some fresh bleach and way-hey..... they were the best hi-lites I ever did!
Bear in mind I've always made sure that I'm mixing the right stuff now!!

hehe did you tell the ladies they were blue?! or do it without them seeing! hehe thats funny.

they were actually sitting side by side by the backwashes and it was so embarrasing, they just looked at each other in horror!!!! both me and the other stylist were so young and not at all ready for what i had done my mate was ready to kill me ( we're best of friends still after all these years) I just said to the clients that it was a new method and they accepted that and both still came back to wreck thier hair with 60 vol bleach right up to the end of the 80's ha ha

By the way I posted a thread earlier about toners, maybe i should go back and use my special one again and see what happens !!

Infact ive got a joy of a client on wednesday. one of those annoying ones who has there hair coloured twice a year if that:rolleyes:. long naturally curly mega thick and wants a complete colour change every time:mad:. the last time she had it coloured is 8 months ago and she had 6/40 with 1/2 inch /045 allover with some matrix redkicks slices underneath. looked fab ,but obviously she is now going to have major fadage and lovely roots. she now wants to have hig-lights for the summer. Im dreading it coz it will just not lift up a nice "pure"blonde, ill need to do chunky weaves as its soo thick and curly and finer ones will get "lost". Any inspiration ideas geeks.?????? im wanting to suggest a base in there aswell like a nice chocolate brown inbetween the weaves as her mid lengths and ends are going to be wishy washy and she will have so much roots/ Throw some ideas hunnys it will be much appreciated.???

Hi, bleach highlights go well with the 6/40 in the colour touch ,

with her hair being so thick the colour touch will go a lot further and will keep the hair in nice shiny condition,

I feel sorry for you having to do highlights on this type of hair ,
perhaps slices might be a bit easier and they may show up a bit more,

maybe you could presuade her to have a colour touch all over instead 5/4 is nice too ?
or 6/7 or 6/37 , lol x I love them all

:hug: x good luck,
let us know what you decide ?

yes i was thinking of alternating slices and chunky weaves.i was just more concerned how they were going to lift because shell have major roots and still alot of warmth through the mid lengths and ends, . i def want too put a nice rich base inbetween the foils to give it some shine and a bit of depth. i love all those shades youve suggested and have used them on many occassions. so hopefully shell opt for this method. thanks guys ill let you know how i get on. pfffffffft also why im there im doing a consultation on her sister (nitemare family... !!!) who the last time i saw her about 8 months had lovely weaved hilights 12/1 9/16 + 8/73 and since then shes had a baby and decided to dye her hair red allover:eek: (dnt u love em!) and has not done anything since for the last 5 months apparantly. so again major roots and lovely fadage im guessing. so she doesnt know what she wants but wants me to put some suggestions her way and to do it for a wedding they are both going to in 2 weeks.oh the joys!!!

Do you know a couple of years ago I did exactly the same thing and it was BRIGHT lightbulb yellow I was so so imbarrised as not long been at the job i was in. And you know the worst thing she didnt come back to me as i said (said shed come back in next day like your lady) but she didnt she went some wherer else and they did what I could easily have done...but dont you think when they see the end result the client will be happy because she got what she wanted and you will have done a great colour correction for all the reps/collegues to see!!!:hug:

Hi , it does wear you down a bit when clients put a home colour over all the hard foil work that you have done previously

and then they come back and expect you to do something with it ?
and want the same perfect results as before :eek:

what they don't realize is they are asking you to colour correct it as well as make it perfect again after they've had a go at home with nice and easy ect, :irked:
oh boy here comes the mental stress :hug: lol x

Last edited:
lol do not get me started!!!!!!!!!

Do you know a couple of years ago I did exactly the same thing and it was BRIGHT lightbulb yellow I was so so imbarrised as not long been at the job i was in. And you know the worst thing she didnt come back to me as i said (said shed come back in next day like your lady) but she didnt she went some wherer else and they did what I could easily have done...but dont you think when they see the end result the client will be happy because she got what she wanted and you will have done a great colour correction for all the reps/collegues to see!!!:hug:

Hi for anyone out there with this bleached chicken yellow problem
and you were wanting a pale blonde all over look ,

one way to fix it is to lift chicken yellow areas past that chicken yellow stage with bleach (test the hair first)
and lift to what I call a creamy inside of a banana skin shade,

then when this is achieved wash bleach off
and apply on wet hair a 0/6 in sliver colour fresh on the roots first then ends follow the pack instructions ,
then you will have a beautiful pale shimmering blonde :hug:

If you think it wont go any lighter than a brassy 10
then take it down two levels with tint used as a toner ,
on dry hair perhaps use a 8/1 on the roots and swap for a 8/0 on the ends if it is very pourous :hug: x

Hi
So she came in today, it didnt look as bad as I rememberd! It was that pale yellow but i actually think she couldve got away with it, t was just cos she's used to having the different tones so it was too much for her. anyway the back was a bit patchy, you know the band of orange type thing.
so i asked the colour tech if we could get the different tones back in using foils he said no way, we're best aiming for an all over colour today to get it back to an even colour.
so we washed the hair and then put bleach+pastel on the dark patches, and lifted it to the same as the rest. we then put colour touch 9/03+9/01 +1.9% all over. i was absolutley cr**ing myself the whole way thro cos i knew she wanted different tones all thro. she actually started crying when he said she couldnt have that and thats horrible seeing a client crying cos of your work!
so she was very pleased with the end result as she looked natural again and ive said i can put the foils in next week if she stil wants them!!!
what a palava i was soooo stressed. Everyone else got to do cuts but i didnt have time so did half of one!!
feel better now its sorted tho.

Latest posts

Back