Bleach testing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayne S

Reaction score
Hey there! So... long story short, I moved last winter, tried out a new salon in my new city and had a reaction to... something. I think it may have been the bleach used. Could have been the hair dye. Not sure, but suspecting the bleach. (It was blue. Previous hair god used white) Anyway, person at the new salon is being uncooperative and won't tell me what was used so I can avoid it.
Question for all you lovely hair people - is it common for new customers to ask for patch tests to be done prior to the appointment? I'm obviously going to try someone else, but I'd like to avoid the hives this time.
Thanks!

You should always be given a patch test before you have your colour done at a new salon. If they don’t insist on it, walk away and go elsewhere because if they’re sloppy with testing, they’ll be sloppy in other ways too!

The colour of the bleach won’t make any difference, some brands sell blue coloured bleach and others sell white.

It’s usually the PPD chemicals in the hair colour that people react to although, if they mixed a high strength developer with your bleach and applied it directly to your scalp, it could be that causing the sensitivity.

When you get a reaction, taking a anti-histamine tablet will often ease the discomfort if it’s only mild, but you could check with your doctor or pharmacist first as they can look at it and see if you need proper medical treatment or not.

Thanks for responding. I've never had or been offered a patch test, so I wasn't sure if it was thing. I'll definitely ask!
Thanks

One final thought... we know that Covid affects the immune system and there’s been some anecdotal evidence that clients who have had it mildly are now reacting to hair and skin chemicals when previously, they’d had no issues with them at all. Take care.

Latest posts

Back