Bleaching roots

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lois Edwards

Reaction score
Heya geeks
I have a client who has bleached blonde hair and likes a white ashy Silver look
She used to have full head of bleached foils olaplex and toned out
She now has it painted on roots
And olaplex and toned out

She uses me and another salon who fits her extentions

She loves her colour but hates when the tonner fades and the roots always look yellowy undertones underneath the root area
And the ends are fab still

So I’ve said next time we shall trial a new idea if she wants

I said I’ll do roots 6% for
40 mins wash dry and reapply to give it any extra kick I think that extra 10-20 mins (I’ll keep an eye)with fresh will make it as pale as possible leaving which ever tonner we chose
To use to stay and last longer and more evenly

The toner is always going to fade fastest on the freshly bleached root area.
You only need to bleach it twice if it isn’t light enough the first time, it won’t affect toner longevity, other than make the hair more porous.

The toner is always going to fade fastest on the freshly bleached root area.
You only need to bleach it twice if it isn’t light enough the first time, it won’t affect toner longevity, other than make the hair more porous.

Thank you
Its could defiantly be lightened an extra shade as I always have to tone it and then re tone the root
With a stronger toner to get it to look it’s best
This client has roots of a base 4 and doesn’t like to lift as well as it used to in foils

Thank you
Its could defiantly be lightened an extra shade as I always have to tone it and then re tone the root
With a stronger toner to get it to look it’s best
This client has roots of a base 4 and doesn’t like to lift as well as it used to in foils
Why don't you leave the bleach an extra 10 mins?

Thanks for reply
So usually I leave for 45mins Mins maybe 50 does jnaong in the client I have in
I was once told that bleach will not lift passed 50mins?
I have even reapplied jus to try and push it to the correct level of lift (I’m finding that way there’s to much product and it can overlap not jus the roots so not suitable in some cases)
What im finding on a couple of clients it doesn’t quite lift the level of lift I’m waiting for
With all theses
And I have to tone then use a stronger on the root

What bleach and developer brand are you using as that can make a huge difference?

Nxt
Ashton finchers peroxide 9%
And have Started using blonde me and there peroxide to see if it made a difference (apparently not for scalp but works fine )
Happy for any advice Thankyou

I use blondme and matching peroxide on most of my scalp bleaches then tone
However I have a client who is naturally a 44/0 and even with the best toners on any depth i can not shift the yellow completely so now we just do a full head of baby lites for better lift.. some people’s hair no matter what you use wil just throw our so much warmth and not lift.

This is the a problem I’m finding but she still wants a root bleach I jus hope if I reapply it won’t irritate her scalp with a new application I’ve told her I’ll do it as an experiment this one time and see if it’s worth doing to get the slight extra lift and then if she prefers il charge double application next time

Heya geeks
I have a client who has bleached blonde hair and likes a white ashy Silver look
She used to have full head of bleached foils olaplex and toned out
She now has it painted on roots
And olaplex and toned out

She uses me and another salon who fits her extentions

She loves her colour but hates when the tonner fades and the roots always look yellowy undertones underneath the root area
And the ends are fab still

So I’ve said next time we shall trial a new idea if she wants

I said I’ll do roots 6% for
40 mins wash dry and reapply to give it any extra kick I think that extra 10-20 mins (I’ll keep an eye)with fresh will make it as pale as possible leaving which ever tonner we chose
To use to stay and last longer and more evenly
You a stated above that you leave to develop for 40 minutes, hence the reason I suggested an extra 10minutes making it the full development time (50)mins. Also you mentioned below using 9%? I always stick to 6% or less on scalp when it comes to bleach.
Make sure you weigh your bleach and developer. Matching developers help achieve the best results. When you're applying take finer sections if possible. When bleaching to get the best lift, your sections should be fine enough that you can read a newspaper through it (slight exaggeration) but you catch my drift lol. Its very common to need to ione after bleaching. I hope this helps.

My daughter used to have this problem with holding into yellow/Gold tones .. she has naturally strong hair .. to bleach the roots we used 9% developer and Wella Blondor. Allowed it the correct development time. Rinsed it off then we used 3% developer again with blondor (I was given this tip by a very high profile hairdresser) .. it completely knocked the yellow/Gold tones out of her hair. She had no scalp irritation and the result was white blond in the end xx

Fabulous Thankyou very much I’m goin to try this rather than the 6% wash off then go back in with a 6%

Fabulous Thankyou very much I’m goin to try this rather than the 6% wash off then go back in with a 6%
Have you tried any of the cream bleach's for scalp? If your going back in a second time try 3% low and slow will kick out the warmth.xxx

I recommend joico creme lightener for this - it lifts roots so cleanly and is oil based

I recommend joico creme lightener for this - it lifts roots so cleanly and is oil based

Thanks they don’t do this In my wholesalers do you know one Which sells this

If you're in the South East you can get it from Lacy's. If you're in the SW it's Salon Concepts and up north is Alan Howard. Failing that - myhairandbeauty sell it. I really do recommend it. Just make sure you wash the hair thoroughly after with really warm water as it's an oil consistency.

Latest posts

Back