Blending help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodacious

Reaction score
I have been practicing with my blending but I am still having problems.

The way I do it is as follows

pre blend across tip to reduce bulk, pre blend well area
apply gelbond in corners and centre spread evenly across
apply gelbond to nail plate
apply tip to nail at angle and press down, then press at corners
wipe away excess glue from front to back.

However I am finding that when I file down using my creative hot shot I still get a line and little white flakes that just wont go away! It is like a build up of the dust but it wont shift when I dust.

Where am I going wrong <perplexed>

There have been many threads on this before. Search "chasing the line" and you will come up with a lot of info. The main point is that you don't buff on the line but behind the line, otherwise it will just move up the nail. HTH

NailNovice2 said:
There have been many threads on this before. Search "chasing the line" and you will come up with a lot of info. The main point is that you don't buff on the line but behind the line, otherwise it will just move up the nail. HTH
Chasing the line isnt relevant to blending tips its to do with buffing down product. I think that Bodacious is referring to blending tips - arent you???

Ooops - sorry! Thanks Carole for pointing out my error.

Well, if it is when blending the tip, you shouldn't be using Hot Shot in the late stages of blending as you are near the natural nail plate. I use a Koila when finishing the blending and also find that finishing a stroke upwards (ie towards the cuticle) seems to get rid of that final little bit to be blended.

NailNovice2 said:
Ooops - sorry! Thanks Carole for pointing out my error.

Well, if it is when blending the tip, you shouldn't be using Hot Shot in the late stages of blending as you are near the natural nail plate. I use a Koila when finishing the blending and also find that finishing a stroke upwards (ie towards the cuticle) seems to get rid of that final little bit to be blended.
No worries Chris! I dont use the Creative files so the names mean nothing to me!! I cut the well out then preblend then resin to nail then start my blending with a 180 grit to thin it out being careful not to start right at the well end otherwise that causes a ridge and doesnt thin out the tip edge. When i see the shadow forming (hope you know what i mean by that!) then i know i'm getting close to where i want to be so change to my 240 grit then when right at the end switch to my white block to smooth over - eh voila!

Carole - That's why your nails look so great!

i use the hot shot to start with on the hard side, tehn change it over to the finer side and then the Koala to finish, but the flakey bits just wont go away!..gggrrrr

h well practice, preactice, practice

Bodacious said:
i use the hot shot to start with on the hard side, tehn change it over to the finer side and then the Koala to finish, but the flakey bits just wont go away!..gggrrrr

h well practice, preactice, practice
Hi hunny: its very hard to see where you're going wrong from a distance but it is definitely a practice thing. I thought i'd never get it right. Are you sure the white bits arent air bubbles from when you're putting the tip on?

Humn it could be, do they end up witha frayed edge that maybe then looks like lifting???

Bodacious said:
Humn it could be, do they end up witha frayed edge that maybe then looks like lifting???
kind of! hard to describe really but its very white in comparison to blended bits - does that sound right? and its only in part not the whole way across?

I think I know what you mean. So when you press the tip on do you press down on teh stress area or do you just hold it from the end????

Latest posts

Back