Blending tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pure

Reaction score
OK I underastand the importance of blending tips until they 'disappear', I have the CND tips and abrasives, I have read 'Nail Class' and I am still taking an age to do this!:rolleyes:

I can't get a picture in my mind of the way to hold the file and apply pressure as Gigi describes it in her book. I've had a look at the tutorials on here too and I can tell you all the theory but my hands/fingers just won't do it! :lol::!:

I did a new set on a new client last night and I was really pleased with the final result but the whole thing took me 2 1/2 hours, with the greatest portion of time spent on blending.

Please help...........:o

I have Nailclass also and find it invaluable, but maybe you are one of these people who actually needs to see to learn, maybe a 1-2-1 would be advisable or a skillbuilding course?
If you have a nail trainer then practice on that!
I practice all the time on anybody who sits still longer than 1 minute in my house, hubby has has a fair few sets!! lol!!
Im sure things will become clear soon.

Also Im not sure if this is a stupid thing to say or not, but are you using a new file? This will cut down the time it takes you!

xx

I really only blend tips on clients who need to have a tip with a well applied to them.

For any client who has any free edge at all, there is no need to blend tips. Just apply the tip to the free edge with only enough well so that the tip matches the natural smile line, and then you do not need to blend at all.

There are also well-less tips if you like them that an be applied in the same way. The new Creative Performance tips are very cool and already are thin and have the shine removed for you ... very quick and easy if that is what you are after.

Hey I struggle with it too. It really helps if the grit of your file is rough enough, not too rough though but u probably read this in the tutorials. And it takes me 5 hours!! so dont feel bad! Im starting to despise doing tips ha ha. I did a full set the other day and they didnt look too bad but as I said, it took me hours.. And they all fell off two days later which made me furious! Well, goodluck with ur blending, keep practicing..

Hey I struggle with it too. It really helps if the grit of your file is rough enough, not too rough though but u probably read this in the tutorials. And it takes me 5 hours!! so dont feel bad! Im starting to despise doing tips ha ha. I did a full set the other day and they didnt look too bad but as I said, it took me hours.. And they all fell off two days later which made me furious! Well, goodluck with ur blending, keep practicing..
o

Tips that 'fall' off were never on correctly in the first place.

The majority of nail technicians use tips every day and have been doing so for 30 years so if you are having these sort of problems then something is fundamentally wrong with what you are doing. Perhaps you are very new to nails. If so, then sort this out now as soon as possible as it should not be happening to you.

Also Im not sure if this is a stupid thing to say or not, but are you using a new file? This will cut down the time it takes you!
xx

Not stupid at all!! But yes I used all new files last night.

I really only blend tips on clients who need to have a tip with a well applied to them.

For any client who has any free edge at all, there is no need to blend tips. Just apply the tip to the free edge with only enough well so that the tip matches the natural smile line, and then you do not need to blend at all.

There are also well-less tips if you like them that an be applied in the same way. The new Creative Performance tips are very cool and already are thin and have the shine removed for you ... very quick and easy if that is what you are after.

I didn't know this!! I honestly thought that all tips were meant to be blended so not to show through and to add to the strength.

Are the Performance tips available over here now? If so I'm gonna get some.:)

Thanks for you help.:hug:

o

Tips that 'fall' off were never on correctly in the first place.

The majority of nail technicians use tips every day and have been doing so for 30 years so if you are having these sort of problems then something is fundamentally wrong with what you are doing. Perhaps you are very new to nails. If so, then sort this out now as soon as possible as it should not be happening to you.

I did sculptures with silk on her thumbs and they stayed on! Thats what I found wierd. And the tips didnt have bubbles. I Did a course in January and Im in Matric so I havnt practiced alot of tips (its hectic at the mo) I did tips on my mom and hers stayed on for very long, but anyway Im just practicing on friends and family (luckily) and will definately try and sort this out!

Not stupid at all!! But yes I used all new files last night.

I didn't know this!! I honestly thought that all tips were meant to be blended so not to show through and to add to the strength.

Are the Performance tips available over here now? If so I'm gonna get some.:)

Thanks for you help.:hug:

Yes, Performance tips are available in both natural and white.

Tips don't add strength, they only add length! x

just thinking out loud here...not saying your nor applying tips correctly at all...but i remember on one of my training days i applied 2 tips...1 needed blending quite a bit and the other only needed a couple of swipes and was done...when i asked why i was told that if a tip is sized and fitted right then minimal blending is required....

its just one of those things thats always stuck in my mind...and i still notice it now when i do tips...i will maybe get 8 that need hardly anything doing and then 2 that need a good blend and then i know its cos of the fitting.

I did sculptures with silk on her thumbs and they stayed on! Thats what I found wierd. And the tips didnt have bubbles. I Did a course in January and Im in Matric so I havnt practiced alot of tips (its hectic at the mo) I did tips on my mom and hers stayed on for very long, but anyway Im just practicing on friends and family (luckily) and will definately try and sort this out!

Even if your tips did not have bubbles, you may have gone too far and blended all the contact area away so that in effect they were hanging on thin air. If you spent that long at it then this is probably what happened!! We've all done it at onetime or another.

When blending, all you have to acheive is to be able to see through the well of the tip to the natural nail colour, not to remove it entirely. CND tips blend really fast if done efficiently so keep trying and you will get it eventually ... but a class does help to speed up in getting there.

Even if your tips did not have bubbles, you may have gone too far and blended all the contact area away so that in effect they were hanging on thin air. If you spent that long at it then this is probably what happened!! We've all done it at onetime or another.

When blending, all you have to acheive is to be able to see through the well of the tip to the natural nail colour, not to remove it entirely. CND tips blend really fast if done efficiently so keep trying and you will get it eventually ... but a class does help to speed up in getting there.

Thank you! My friend said that bubbles started appearing and the tip came off completely clean, so I thought maybe preperation cause I didnt blend the tip away, I know cause a nail tech did that to me and filed a hollow groove in my nail!:eek:

just thinking out loud here...not saying your nor applying tips correctly at all...but i remember on one of my training days i applied 2 tips...1 needed blending quite a bit and the other only needed a couple of swipes and was done...when i asked why i was told that if a tip is sized and fitted right then minimal blending is required....

its just one of those things thats always stuck in my mind...and i still notice it now when i do tips...i will maybe get 8 that need hardly anything doing and then 2 that need a good blend and then i know its cos of the fitting.

I was actually taught something similar by my college. Originally, i was over angling the tip, so after you could see total contact had been made i tilted it an extra few degrees, just to make sure, which made blending really difficult. The second I made the change and stopped tilting any more the moment full contact had been made, blending has become a breeze!

What about if your client was having a colour Geeg would you not see the edge of the tip, so would you blend then? Sorry if that sounds a bit stupid so hope you can see what I am getting at.

What about if your client was having a colour Geeg would you not see the edge of the tip, so would you blend then? Sorry if that sounds a bit stupid so hope you can see what I am getting at.
I always use a natural or white powder for zone 1 so blending is not an issue ... if only using clear or pink, then you would naturally have to blend so as not to see the tip join.

thought so, thanks.

I have been in the same boat as you, found that blending before putting them on the nail saves a lot of time, plus you dont have to worry about damage , also tip blender i find works a treat to thin out before applying.

also tip blender i find works a treat to thin out before applying.
Tip blender contains acetone, the acetone can continue working on the tip once you've applied your product, it's much better to learn how to blend a tip manually, there are tutorials on the site to help if you're finding it difficult using just your abrasive.

Tutorial - Thinning and Blending Tips

hth's

Hi there, never thought of that! going to have a look at tutorial ,and practice blending without, thanks.:)

A helpful trick I learned was to shape the free edge first, then blend from the end of the tip toward Zone 2 and when nearing the line to go in only one direction, toward Zone 2 and not back toward myself as this can cause the grit on your abrasive to pick up the edge of the well and make it difficult to blend- this was a CND roadshow trick, very helpful to me, since I really prefer sculpting:)

It's always nice to know that even after years and years of practice there is always something new to try!!!

Latest posts

Back