Block Heads

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fats28

Reaction score
I did an open college course last year, pretty basic cutting and colouring etc. I don't offer haircutting or anything as although I enjoyed it I don't think my cutting is up to much!!

I got a block head while at college to work on and I find parting its hair to cut it awful in fact nigh on impossible. Is there a deluxe head or something thats easier to work on than the standard issue block head?

im not sure where you can get a better quality head hun.

as long as the sections are straight, you should be on the right track.

i got mine form salons direct a few years back, the model name is paula its not bad.
Welcome to Salons Direct

I did a hair cutting course at the Goldweell academy in london, it was fab i learnt a lot in two days.

you only learn the very basic at college, you really learn to cut hair in the salon, and to master all hair tpes and styles, it takes years, probably 5-7 to cover every scenario.
good luck and dont give up!!

I did an open college course last year, pretty basic cutting and colouring etc. I don't offer haircutting or anything as although I enjoyed it I don't think my cutting is up to much!!

I got a block head while at college to work on and I find parting its hair to cut it awful in fact nigh on impossible. Is there a deluxe head or something thats easier to work on than the standard issue block head?

Cutting hair takes years of practice. Its the same with nails practice makes perfect!!
Block heads are not ideal to learn cutting on. They are okay for learning to put rollers etc in.
Its been years since I used a block head tbh, so can't advise you on the quality of the block heads nowdays. Most of them are made from real hair.

I have been hairdressing now for 26 years and am still learning. Fashions and trends are constantly changing . It takeas years to perfect cutting skills. the more you practice the better at it you become. There are so many factors that need to be taken into consideration when cutting hair. Face shape, hair texture, length, lifestyle, ones ability to cope with the style once its been cut ,ete etc.
One good thing though about block heads ias they never complain!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

:hug:

Therein is the dilemma, the block head is hard to use and although I've cut my daughters hair shes only 5 and fidgets like mad!! I'll have to keep battling with the head I suppose if I can master sectioning on that thing, human heads will be a breeze!!

Therein is the dilemma, the block head is hard to use and although I've cut my daughters hair shes only 5 and fidgets like mad!! I'll have to keep battling with the head I suppose if I can master sectioning on that thing, human heads will be a breeze!!

LOL You got that right. :irked:If you master the block head in any area, You will do just fine with a talking breathing human. Remember to take a deep breathe when you feel like taking it and throwing it out the window.:lol:

Here in the USA, we call them mannequin heads and they sound like they are just about as difficult as yours over there. I know that they sell different qualities of mannequin heads. You might want to try to look online.
Also, the thicker the hair on the head the easier it is to section off.:wink2:

Latest posts

Back