Blonde to grey, colour washing out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P'eed off

Reaction score
I'm not going to pretend I'm a hairdresser as I work with skin but have a small knowledge of basic colour but I do need some advice please.

Since going very grey I started colouring my hair at home with L'Oreal Supreme in 10.13 (+ a dash of blue concentrate) and 20 vol and it worked well for me. Prior to this my hairdresser insisted I had to dye my hair a level 6 brown then highlight it to disguise the grey but it was too much processing for my liking. Lately my skin started getting a little redness due to age/dermatitis so I decided to opt for a silver grey colour as it's more flattering than the slightly warmer blonde I was using.

Even though my hair was slightly dry my long time hairdresser bleached it gently and that worked fine. He then realised he had no stock of my chosen colour, Schwarzkopt 9,5-1 so he made a little mix of some others he had including a dab of 9,5-22. It looked slightly patchy but really lovely. Until I washed it, the grey washed clean out. He was surprised and a 9,5-1 with a 20 vol was applied. Again this looked great but washed out after the one shampoo again. He then said you do realise its always going to wash out - well no I didn't or I would have continued with what I was using.

He is going to colour it again and I'm left wondering why didn't his colour work and what my options are to be honest. My hair is naturally dry and curly and I don't want it totally abused with experiments so would appreciate any advice please. TIA

If your hair is being bleached, anything with 6% will not last in the hair. If he's depositing colour then a lower developer should be used.

If your hair is being bleached, anything with 6% will not last in the hair. If he's depositing colour then a lower developer should be used.

Thanks, 10 vol was used the first time but it just practically disappeared. I wanted a permanent silver blonde colour, I assumed the bleach was to get a cleaner colour. I wasn't expecting bleach with a toner for every wash to be honest.

Thanks, 10 vol was used the first time but it just practically disappeared. I wanted a permanent silver blonde colour, I assumed the bleach was to get a cleaner colour. I wasn't expecting bleach with a toner for every wash to be honest.
You shouldn't need to have a toner after every wash. Something your hairdresser is doing or using isn't right. What are you using to wash your hair in? Anything that's applied over bleached hair is never permanent, because of the way the hairs structure changes. So using a permanent tint with 6% will distort the tone that being deposited and leaving your cuticle open. The more the cuticle is opened and closed, the less likely it is to close everytime. As soon as warm waster or shampoo hits the surface of your hair, the cuticle is open again.

Ok I get you. I don't know what he's doing but it seems he's not too sure either :oops:

Thanks for helping, I alternate between a loreal biotin inforcer shampoo and a silver shampoo but i'll be using the silver shampoo a lot more now I think. My main concern now is my new growth which is grey because the shampoo will turn this blue. I'm a bit annoyed that the process wasn't fully explained to me as I only asked for a change of permanent colour from beige blonde to silver blonde. I'll update this thread after my next appointment but really do appreciate the advice.

Ok I get you. I don't know what he's doing but it seems he's not too sure either :oops:

Thanks for helping, I alternate between a loreal biotin inforcer shampoo and a silver shampoo but i'll be using the silver shampoo a lot more now I think. My main concern now is my new growth which is grey because the shampoo will turn this blue. I'm a bit annoyed that the process wasn't fully explained to me as I only asked for a change of permanent colour from beige blonde to silver blonde. I'll update this thread after my next appointment but really do appreciate the advice.
When the silver fades off what colour does it leave your hair?

When the silver fades off what colour does it leave your hair?

Pretty much what it looked like when it was bleached. A whitish, yellow blonde, not awful, but not a colour I would choose.

Pretty much what it looked like when it was bleached. A whitish, yellow blonde, not awful, but not a colour I would choose.
That could be your problem. Your hair might not be lifted enough and that's why you're loosing the silver tone so quickly. Is the yellow as pale as the inside of a ripe banana or darker?

Yes it did lift really pale yellow, I recall he checked and said oh that was quick and washed it at that point. He put the next mix of 3 colours/toners on damp hair and monitored it regularly. I also remember him saying something about a squirt of lilac to give it something to grab onto but have no idea what that meant.

Make sure he uses a porosity spray before toning. And after rinsing... Porous hair does not hold onto colour..your shampoo had sulphates in (it strips colour?.. change to sulphate free also buy a porosity/vitamin spray yourself and use on damp hair before drying

Latest posts

Back