Blood donations

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewie16

Reaction score
Has anybody donated blood and how long does it take and do you feel dizzy after? I would love to give blood I'm healthy male but can't as not allowed as I'm bent as a ten Bob note! I'm not a fan of needles but nice to help somebody in need!

Has anybody donated blood and how long does it take and do you feel dizzy after? I would love to give blood I'm healthy male but can't as not allowed as I'm bent as a ten Bob note! I'm not a fan of needles but nice to help somebody in need!

My daughter lost a friend in a car crash some years ago. She felt so helpless that she decided to give blood. I felt compelled to go with her. We have now been donating for some years quite regularly. My other daughter started donating as soon as she was old enough. My eldest daughter rushed to work after her second donation and passed out over the pub dishwasher. We now donate then get fish and chips and put our feet up. My husband looks after us all. He is needle phobic so we all do our bit.
I often go really woozy straight after donating but that lasts about 5 minutes. A custard cream and I'm right as rain!

The first time we donated there were a couple of lads from my daughters school in front of us. Probably there for the same reason. Young people get such a bad press and yet so many of them are so brilliant!

And Stewie, the expression is "bent as a nine bob note" lol

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Omg this cracked me up! hahaha

I think it's so wrong your not allowed to give blood if your a "man that has had sex with another man". This is how they word it so it's not attacking "gay" people.

It's stupid, dated and it discriminates! I don't know how they get away with it. it annoys me so much because I always see adverts saying how much they need blood!

Arghh rant over!

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree it's a sorry state of affairs that you can't give blood. My life was saved by receiving donated blood which means that sadly I'm not allowed to donate now either :( x

I thought they changed the rules on this?

I have donated, but when my doc found out he told me off as it turned out I was anemic. I'm ok now but still can't as I've had tattoos too recently.

It's not painful at all and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I could. I wasn't dizzy at all afterwards.

I agree it's a sorry state of affairs that you can't give blood. My life was saved by receiving donated blood which means that sadly I'm not allowed to donate now either :( x

Which is crazy,surely you would want to give blood more if you have received the benefits!

And it's not going to be bad blood because they must have already checked it!

I thought they changed the rules on this?

I have donated, but when my doc found out he told me off as it turned out I was anemic. I'm ok now but still can't as I've had tattoos too recently.

It's not painful at all and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I could. I wasn't dizzy at all afterwards.

They changed it so that if you haven't had sex in a year you can.

My brother in law has tried to give blood a few times only to be told they have reached their quota that day for his blood type! Very confusing considering they are always desperate for it.

I would live to do it but I have 2 types of anaemia (iron deficiency and pernicious) so it's probably useless to anyone.

I used to give blood but when I had my daughter I lost alot of blood and had to have 2 blood transfusions so I am now not aloud to give blood which is a shame as I am a rare blood type. X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have ME and in 2010 they banned people giving blood with ME, I'm a donor though. X

I have ME and in 2010 they banned people giving blood with ME, I'm a donor though. X

Excuse my dumbness lol what's ME? X

My daughter lost a friend in a car crash some years ago. She felt so helpless that she decided to give blood. I felt compelled to go with her. We have now been donating for some years quite regularly. My other daughter started donating as soon as she was old enough. My eldest daughter rushed to work after her second donation and passed out over the pub dishwasher. We now donate then get fish and chips and put our feet up. My husband looks after us all. He is needle phobic so we all do our bit.
I often go really woozy straight after donating but that lasts about 5 minutes. A custard cream and I'm right as rain!

The first time we donated there were a couple of lads from my daughters school in front of us. Probably there for the same reason. Young people get such a bad press and yet so many of them are so brilliant!

And Stewie, the expression is "bent as a nine bob note" lol

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I always thought the saying was 'bent as a 2 bob bit?'
There must be so many versions lol.

I would love to give blood, but I'm only 5ft and weight less than 8 stone so they won't let me :(

X

I would love to give blood and have. But apparently they have a "pass out 6 times and you're no longer welcome" rule. Fascists. ;)

I've gave it once and unfortuantely can't again as i had several transfusions after having my wee girl. My hubby now donates for both of us now
X

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm not allowed as I'm under the weight limit but I would love to, even if I do faint every time I have a blood test lol

I actually feel faint reading this thread. Pathetic lol

They won't have my gay blood, but they'll happily harvest my blood riddled organs as a donor!!

They won't have my gay blood, but they'll happily harvest my blood riddled organs as a donor!!

I think this is absolutly wrong that they won't let you! X

Latest posts

Back